Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: US Russian Hoax  (Read 11830 times)

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
Re: US Russian Hoax
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »
Everybody knows you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater without causing a panic--therefore, there is no "right" to do so unless there is an honest to goodness "fire!"
Actually, you can shout "fire" in a crowded theatre. Look it up.

If we allow the kind of hostility going on in our country right now politically, we won't survive as a nation, or as America. We will become a one-party state, wthout real civil liberties.
If we stifle free speech we won't be America anymore.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2022, 09:54:38 AM »
Free speech doesn't exist for the sake of comfortable conversation.
Exactly. The whole concept of free speech specifically exists to protect speech that one finds uncomfortable. Or that one disagrees with. If we restrict speech to things that the majority agrees with, well, that's trivial.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2022, 09:56:02 AM »
So, once the "true" purpose of the military operation is clear, intent can be discerned and then, one can say Russia is doing evil or good.
Russia is doing evil. End of story.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2022, 10:09:21 AM »
Putin now putting his nuclear forces on alert. The stated reason is "aggression from the west". He's talking about harsh words and economic sanctions I guess. Yeah, he's evil.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2022, 01:55:48 AM »
Everybody knows you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater without causing a panic--therefore, there is no "right" to do so unless there is an honest to goodness "fire!"
Actually, you can shout "fire" in a crowded theatre. Look it up.

If we allow the kind of hostility going on in our country right now politically, we won't survive as a nation, or as America. We will become a one-party state, wthout real civil liberties.
If we stifle free speech we won't be America anymore.

I'm not interested in getting technical. The point is, there are limits to so-called "free speech."

I do believe in "free speech" in the true sense of that word, as expressing honest views, politically, religious, etc. I'm just saying that if a political system is to survive, the antithesis cannot be allowed--kind of like putting matter and anti-matter together.

You can't have freedom and allow, at the same time, speech that is seditious, leading to the opposite of freedom.

I'm harmless, friend. I wouldn't advocate for anybody to go to jail for being Jewish. ;) But if you want to put me in jail for being a Christian, now then I must want to censure your speech. ;)

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2022, 02:50:51 AM »
Putin now putting his nuclear forces on alert. The stated reason is "aggression from the west". He's talking about harsh words and economic sanctions I guess. Yeah, he's evil.

Putin has lost it https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

This was an article published on the 26th, then taken down. It talks about Putin's victory in Ukraine in answering the 'Question of Ukraine' towards the restoration of the USSR and undoing of the mistakes in 1991.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2022, 02:54:21 AM »
I'm not interested in getting technical. The point is, there are limits to so-called "free speech."

I do believe in "free speech" in the true sense of that word, as expressing honest views, politically, religious, etc. I'm just saying that if a political system is to survive, the antithesis cannot be allowed--kind of like putting matter and anti-matter together.

You can't have freedom and allow, at the same time, speech that is seditious, leading to the opposite of freedom.

I'm harmless, friend. I wouldn't advocate for anybody to go to jail for being Jewish. ;) But if you want to put me in jail for being a Christian, now then I must want to censure your speech. ;)

The antithesis has to be allowed because that's what allows us to explore the world, form ideas, come to a particular view, reject this in favour of that. Free speech isn't just allowing someone to talk freely. Free speech lays at the foundation of an entire mechanism that makes the modern West possible. Free speech is a paradox in that it must allow for speech that would itself eliminate free speech.

Do you know who else allows speech except for the seditious kind? Russia, North Korea, China, Venezuela...

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2022, 06:35:00 AM »
Free speech must be absolute or else it is not free

Free speech has limits on in terms of direct— not indirect-  harm to others

Governments should never be given the power to limit any speech
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Kingfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2022, 08:11:51 AM »
Truth is treason in an empire of lies. - George Orwell

I don't trust any government or politician to police speech.

Free speech is foundational to the American way of governance.
I vehemently disagree with limiting anyone's speech. I would not limit someone's speech that they would like to limit free speech. That 's the beauty of allowing the speech to happen. The sharing of ideas can sharpen viewpoints allowing citizens to have the opportunity to have a voice beyond just voting.
Go Fish

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2022, 09:14:22 AM »
And there we have it. People whose politics is different from yours are not "Americans".
No, they are not "American" as in they are traitors to our country.

Maybe we should set up a panel to question these people. We could call it... I dunno, an "inquisition"?
Absurd. When a person reveals themselves to be a global citizen, simply treat them that way. A global citizen should not be allowed to vote or hold office, for instance.
May the Lord richly bless you.
Video: "The Days of the Son of Man"

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2022, 10:12:36 AM »

That's a roundabout way of agreeing with Fenris.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2022, 10:15:40 AM »

Here is an example of "free speech," whether wrong or right. A perspective/opinion, as expressed by a Romanian.

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2022, 10:34:50 AM »
And there we have it. People whose politics is different from yours are not "Americans".

Maybe we should set up a panel to question these people. We could call it... I dunno, an "inquisition"?
Absurd. When a person reveals themselves to be a global citizen, simply treat them that way. A global citizen should not be allowed to vote or hold office, for instance.

So, by what legal authority does one revoke a natural born citizen's citizenship?
Who gets to decide the definition of a "global citizen"?

Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2022, 12:12:22 PM »

Here is an example of "free speech," whether wrong or right. A perspective/opinion, as expressed by a Romanian.

Why in scare quotes?

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »
Why in scare quotes?

Well, since this is the first response, I'll lay it out. I was "making" a "point" in how free speech becomes offensive at the worse or "questionable" in the least while simply speaking to others.
You questioned, I'm answering.

During actual verbal communication, not this written style of medium, I would have "spoken louder" before showing that vid to anyone I was speaking with. Possibly a large group even and should a person have asked, "why speak louder when you mention free speech?" I would have pointed out the above.
Tell me, if I had done this instead:
Here is an example of free speech, whether wrong or right. A perspective/opinion, as expressed by a Romanian.
Would my post be "less" scary???

Or, what if I did this:

Or even more scary... "FREE SPEECH,"
Ok, all that rhetorical stuff aside... can I ask a question?
How and/or why does adding quotes, make a point... scary?

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by Cloudwalker
June 29, 2024, 11:23:39 AM

woke by ProDeo
June 28, 2024, 04:08:07 AM

The Rejection of Rejection by Fenris
June 27, 2024, 01:15:58 PM

Eschatology - Introduction PLEASE READ by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:39:59 AM

Baptism and Communion by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:35:20 AM

Faith and peace by Stephen Andrew