Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Meat eating and the spiritual  (Read 5334 times)

HJ73

• View Profile
Re: Meat eating and the spiritual
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
Genesis 8 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt-offerings on the altar. And when the Lord smelt the pleasing odor

God finds the smell of cooked meat pleasant. And as mentioned, no one told Noah to do this. He made the offering entirely of his own decision. God didn't criticize or condemn the action, or call it a sin. He found the act pleasing.

I very much doubt that.  :D It does not say it was God who found the smell pleasing.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
Genesis 8 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt-offerings on the altar. And when the Lord smelt the pleasing odor

God finds the smell of cooked meat pleasant. And as mentioned, no one told Noah to do this. He made the offering entirely of his own decision. God didn't criticize or condemn the action, or call it a sin. He found the act pleasing.

I very much doubt that.  :D It does not say it was God who found the smell pleasing.

There's no way to distinguish between 'Lord' and 'God' such that Noah was for whatever asinine reason building an altar to the Lord rather than God (what brazen idolatry that would have been in his fresh postdiluvian world). As Genesis 8 goes on to say:

"The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done."

This referring to the same Lord who cursed the ground, who in Genesis 3, for what it's worth, is clearly referred to as 'the Lord God'.

I had a hamburger today. It was good.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

agnostic

• ex-Christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 02:14:33 PM »
It does not say it was God who found the smell pleasing.
וירח יהוה את־ריח הניחח

and Yahweh smelled the pleasant aroma

You know, Yahweh, who is called "Yahweh God" throughout Genesis 2-3.

HJ73

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 02:46:43 PM »
I cant see anything that says that God or Lord said the aroma was pleasant. The text just states that the aroma was pleasant from what i can see.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
I bet to God it is very different to eat meat because we would otherwise starve or eat it because we like the taste.
I don't even know what this means.

Deuteronomy 12:15 ...you may slaughter your animals in any of your towns and eat as much of the meat as you want, as if it were gazelle or deer, according to the blessing the LORD your God gives you...

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
Genesis 9:3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 03:26:51 PM »
and Yahweh smelled the pleasant aroma
I read Hebrew and confirm that is what it says.

At this point HJ73 isn't just creating a new religion, he's creating a new language as well.

agnostic

• ex-Christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 06:32:45 PM »
I cant see anything that says that God or Lord said the aroma was pleasant. The text just states that the aroma was pleasant from what i can see.
"Pleasant" is a subjective term. One person finds a grilled salmon "pleasant," another finds it repulsive. For a scent to be "pleasant," it must be "pleasant" to the one who smells it. Who smelled the cooked meat so that it should be called a "pleasant aroma"? Yahweh.

So you've invented ambiguity in the text where there isn't any. Let's skip forward.

Leviticus 1 The LORD summoned Moses and spoke to him from the tent of meeting, saying ... The bull shall be slaughtered before the LORD; and Aaron’s sons the priests shall offer the blood, dashing the blood against all sides of the altar that is at the entrance of the tent of meeting. The burnt-offering shall be flayed and cut up into its parts. The sons of the priest Aaron shall put fire on the altar and arrange wood on the fire. Aaron’s sons the priests shall arrange the parts, with the head and the suet, on the wood that is on the fire on the altar; but its entrails and its legs shall be washed with water. Then the priest shall turn the whole into smoke on the altar as a burnt-offering, an offering by fire of pleasing aroma to the LORD.

God ordered the death of the animal. God ordered the animal to be cut. God ordered the animal to be burned. God states that the cooked meat is a "pleasing aroma" to him.

Are we going pretend this text doesn't say what it says, too? Do we need more examples, because there are lots.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 06:58:52 PM »
Have no reason to talk to a pastor. It may not be a "sin" but you can not be certain. You can not know if you have not been lied to or misunderstand the texts. The spiritual risk of eating meat is a lot higher than not eating meat.

You are enforcing your opinion upon the topic of eating meat. If God says it's ok to eat meat, then for you to state that there is spiritual risk by eating meat... is evidence of how you are deceived by a spirit you mention that is speaking to you.

1 Tim 4: Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:07:58 PM by Slug1 »
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2021, 07:06:48 PM »
I'm reminded of the amusing observation that according to some people, the bible doesn't prohibit enough things and they feel the need to tack on more.
At a minimum, we have an agenda trying to be pushed by the OP.

However, based on the post I just responded to, the Oper states there is spiritual risk for eating meat, well... based on this, this is not an agenda. More about legalism and due to the OPer's resistance to Scripture, I will be posting the scripture more and more about deceiving spirits because what the OPer listens to, sure isn't God.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2021, 08:05:53 PM »
However, based on the post I just responded to, the Oper states there is spiritual risk for eating meat, well... based on this, this is not an agenda. More about legalism
Being a Jewish person,  I can understand legalism.  ;D

How one can be legalistic when the text says the exact opposite of what they're trying to prove, well...
and due to the OPer's resistance to Scripture, I will be posting the scripture more and more about deceiving spirits because what the OPer listens to, sure isn't God.
I look forward to this with some interest.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2021, 09:03:08 PM »
How one can be legalistic when the text says the exact opposite of what they're trying to prove, well...

Fundamentally, legalism (what I raise) is when an action is required for a person to "do," so they will stand blameless before others who do the action. In this thread, the legalism is to be considered risk free in their  spirituality, the required action is to NOT eat meat. If one fails to do this action, their spirituality is at risk.

Is there any evidence in the Bible that a person is spiritually at risk if they eat meat... NO.
Is the OPer stating that a person's spirituality IS at risk if they eat meat... YES.

We are "warned" to test the spirit(s) of all that is spoken by man and based on the evidence provided in Scripture, the "spirit" behind the OPer's message is NOT of God.

The OPer should go to their pastor and seek help.
--Slug1-out

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »
Have no reason to talk to a pastor. 

"A" pastor?

I asked if you have spoken to "your" pastor. Do you have a shepherd over you?
--Slug1-out

HJ73

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2021, 03:04:06 AM »
Whatever you want.

But it does not matter anyway of course. You can not possibly know if every word written there is truth or not unless God told you about it. Its not secret to those with eyes to see that there are evil forces that wants to kill humanity physically and spiritually. Yes the risk of eating meat is much higher than not eating meat. Especially if you do it because you just like the taste and not because you would otherwise starve i suppose. That is extremely selfish and a sign of lack of compassion. Without compassion we do not go to heaven. It is not enough to believe in Jesus. Murderers, rapists and drug cartel members can believe in Jesus to without having any compassion.

I am not saying meat eaters will not go to heaven. Just that it is an idiotic risk to take. You bet your soul for a steak. (removed) You actually do not understand that? Not trying to be mean. Just want to get through to you.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:13:56 PM by The Parson »

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2021, 03:53:31 AM »
Whatever you want.

But it does not matter anyway of course. You can not possibly know if every word written there is truth or not unless God told you about it. Its not secret to those with eyes to see that there are evil forces that wants to kill humanity physically and spiritually. Yes the risk of eating meat is much higher than not eating meat. Especially if you do it because you just like the taste and not because you would otherwise starve i suppose. That is extremely selfish and a sign of lack of compassion. Without compassion we do not go to heaven. It is not enough to believe in Jesus. Murderers, rapists and drug cartel members can believe in Jesus to without having any compassion.

I am not saying meat eaters will not go to heaven. Just that it is an idiotic risk to take. You bet your soul for a steak. (removed) You actually do not understand that? Not trying to be mean. Just want to get through to you.

I'm eating some pepperoni with my breakfast. It's a little spicy, but a bit of spice is nice in the morning. There are about 106 calories in 6 slices, so one must be careful not to munch away one's caloric budget for the day. It tastes good, too. I've paired it with cheese and roasted peanuts, and a big ole cup of H2O.

The reality is that you don't have Scripture to back up your view, which is why you're resorting to insults and ad hominems. Eating meat is simply not a salvific issue, nor is it personally anywhere close to the top of 'idiotic risks' I might or have taken.

Do you have Scripture to back up your view, or do you have only insults and some trite mentions of compassion that your own post can't even satisfy?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:17:54 PM by The Parson »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
Yesterday at 01:17:32 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:56:14 AM

In Jesus name, Amen by ProDeo
September 14, 2024, 03:18:27 AM

Is free will a failed concept? by Athanasius
August 26, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Was the Father's will always subordinate to the Son's will? by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM

Faith and peace by CrimsonTide21