Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Eternal Torment vs Annihilation  (Read 11511 times)

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal Torment vs Annihilation
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2021, 01:01:37 PM »
Eternal torment isn't the opposite of eternal life.

I'm referring to how you are saying the term describing how long life in heaven is = eternal, yet the same term concerning how long punishment apart from heaven is = not eternal.

You are taking a single word, with a single meaning and making it mean two opposing meanings so you can continue to stand on a theology.

Here is an example per Scripture:

Matthew 25:46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Greek 166 is the same in revealing HOW LONG everlasting punishment is and eternal life is. However, you and only you, are saying that term has two opposing meanings. With punishment = NOT everlasting/eternal and with life = IS everlasting/eternal.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2021, 03:22:15 PM »
I'm referring to how you are saying the term describing how long life in heaven is = eternal, yet the same term concerning how long punishment apart from heaven is = not eternal.

You are taking a single word, with a single meaning and making it mean two opposing meanings so you can continue to stand on a theology.

Here is an example per Scripture:

Matthew 25:46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Greek 166 is the same in revealing HOW LONG everlasting punishment is and eternal life is. However, you and only you, are saying that term has two opposing meanings. With punishment = NOT everlasting/eternal and with life = IS everlasting/eternal.
The punishment for sin is death, which is eternal. Torment isn't eternsl.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
The punishment for sin is death, which is eternal. Torment isn't eternsl.

The punishment/death is experienced forever. What that experience is, is revealed as tormenting. We cannot change what scripture reveals because sometime doesn't fit one's personal image of God's nature.

Your theology and all you say, states that punishment is NOT forever and that it has an end.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2021, 04:32:12 PM »
The punishment/death is experienced forever. What that experience is, is revealed as tormenting. We cannot change what scripture reveals because sometime doesn't fit one's personal image of God's nature.

Your theology and all you say, states that punishment is NOT forever and that it has an end.
Death isn't cast into the lake of fire to exist eternally. It's cast into the lake of fire so that it no longer exists.....eternally.

I'm not changing what scripture says. I'm changing the false teaching I was indoctrinated with for years.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2021, 09:14:27 PM »

Death isn't cast into the lake of fire to exist eternally. It's cast into the lake of fire so that it no longer exists.....eternally.

I'm not changing what scripture says. I'm changing the false teaching I was indoctrinated with for years.

How can you drop the "indoctrination" card when I've attempted to help you with the meaning of the Greek terms utilized by the writers when they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to reveal what God wants mankind to know, through His Word?

The use of terms/language shows you (teaches) that the punishment is experienced evermore. Man lives and has a choice to make, those who choose to believe, have life evermore. Those who choose NOT to believe, are punished evermore. The term used means "forever more" and the term is used for both life and punishment.

Again, to say that the term means evermore for life but not for punishment, is to change the meaning of the Scripture.
--Slug1-out

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »
How can you drop the "indoctrination" card when I've attempted to help you with the meaning of the Greek terms utilized by the writers when they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to reveal what God wants mankind to know, through His Word?
I'm just telling you how I was. I didn't ask God for counsel concerning church doctrine. I simply accepted it.

The use of terms/language shows you (teaches) that the punishment is experienced evermore. Man lives and has a choice to make, those who choose to believe, have life evermore. Those who choose NOT to believe, are punished evermore. The term used means "forever more" and the term is used for both life and punishment.

Again, to say that the term means evermore for life but not for punishment, is to change the meaning of the Scripture.
Having life extinguished will be permanent for the unrepentant. The fear of having ones sinful deeds exposed is an event which doesn't go on eternally,

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Mt.12:36

There won't be anywhere to hide. The unsaved will be naked before our Lord.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2021, 08:06:25 AM »
There won't be anywhere to hide. The unsaved will be naked before our Lord.

Agreed, 100%. I'm talking about the punishment AFTER judgement.
--Slug1-out

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »
Agreed, 100%. I'm talking about the punishment AFTER judgement.
The punishment after the torment is the death of the body, soul and spirit.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
The punishment after the torment is the death of the body, soul and spirit.

Jesus says the punishment lasts forever. The point of Jesus emphasizing that the punishment lasts evermore is because He doesn't want people to experience everlasting torment of the punishment. Jesus' Gospel message that "He" spoke revealed a consequence for rejecting Him.

Your point rejects what Jesus is emphasizing as you emphasize that those separated from God, will NOT experience the torment of everlasting punishment. Your message of the gospel means there is NO consequence for rejecting Jesus. Your message only as "judgement" as part of your gospel but no punishment.

Need I start posting the Scriptures about "changing" the Gospel?
--Slug1-out

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »
Your message of the gospel means there is NO consequence for rejecting Jesus. Your message only as "judgement" as part of your gospel but no punishment.
I've heard this claim, but only from people who want to avoid death. And the gospel according to the justice of God has been bastardized by theologians.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2021, 09:55:26 PM »
I've heard this claim, but only from people who want to avoid death. And the gospel according to the justice of God has been bastardized by theologians.

It is difficult to take your post seriously because your position teaches that "death" is avoided. Jesus says the punishment of "death" is torturous and experienced evermore.
--Slug1-out

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
It is difficult to take your post seriously because your position teaches that "death" is avoided. Jesus says the punishment of "death" is torturous and experienced evermore.
God uses suffering to draw sinners to himself and our Lord Jesus came to put an end to death. Our merciful Lord has no purpose for unending torment.

Believers led by the Holy Spirit know that to allow torment solely for the purpose of torment is wrong.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2021, 09:21:44 AM »

God uses suffering to draw sinners to himself and our Lord Jesus came to put an end to death. Our merciful Lord has no purpose for unending torment.

Yet, Jesus accounts for the unending torment suffered by those separated from Him following their judgement.

Believers led by the Holy Spirit know that to allow torment solely for the purpose of torment is wrong.

This is only your theology, again Jesus accounts for the truth... those judged as unbelievers will be separated from Him after their judgement and suffer torment evermore.

--Slug1-out

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2021, 07:53:53 AM »

Yet, Jesus accounts for the unending torment suffered by those separated from Him following their judgement.

This is only your theology, again Jesus accounts for the truth... those judged as unbelievers will be separated from Him after their judgement and suffer torment evermore.
Jesus taught how the unrepentant are tormented by exposure of their sins and having their existence ended at the judgement seat of Christ,

As the driving away of smoke Thou drivest away, As the melting of wax before fire, The wicked perish at the presence of God. Psa.68:2

the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire....2Thes.1:7-8

It's not difficult to see how our Lord is seen as an all consuming lake of fire to all evil.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2021, 08:55:08 AM »

Jesus taught how the unrepentant are tormented by exposure of their sins and having their existence ended at the judgement seat of Christ,

As the driving away of smoke Thou drivest away, As the melting of wax before fire, The wicked perish at the presence of God. Psa.68:2

the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire....2Thes.1:7-8

This only addresses before judgement and at the judgement, you are not addressing AFTER the judgement.

It's not difficult to see how our Lord is seen as an all consuming lake of fire to all evil.

True, but again, this does not address what happens AFTER judgement.
--Slug1-out

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
July 03, 2024, 12:27:20 AM

woke by ProDeo
June 28, 2024, 04:08:07 AM

The Rejection of Rejection by Fenris
June 27, 2024, 01:15:58 PM

Eschatology - Introduction PLEASE READ by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:39:59 AM

Baptism and Communion by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:35:20 AM

Faith and peace by Stephen Andrew