Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Thought for the day...  (Read 5788 times)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Thought for the day...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 11:00:19 AM »
Maybe, even, if my knowledge of end times stuff does change the way I live them I'm not doing it right from the get-go.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 11:58:28 AM »
Thought for the day:

Does my knowledge and understanding of scripture, especially end-times related scripture, IMPACT the way that "I" live?

Yes, I think that's the essential thing. God's word is designed to effect changes in our lives--changes that benefit Him and us. If our eschatology lacks this kind of virtue, it's either wrong or we're just not fully getting it.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 08:53:08 AM »

Yes, I think that's the essential thing. God's word is designed to effect changes in our lives--changes that benefit Him and us. If our eschatology lacks this kind of virtue, it's either wrong or we're just not fully getting it.

A loved one asked me this, when they read the posted thought, "Well, does it?"

Here was my response:

honestly... there are times I can ask that question and say, "not when I decided to do, or say (_______).

What I do value, is the conviction from the Holy Spirit when He points out actions/words that should not have been done/said. I also value when any brethren have corrected (not accused/condemned) me of anything that does not testify to the change God has done in me, nor to the living as one should who pursues after Christ.

One truth learned/understood through Scripture, is about God's faithfulness, even during times/moments when I am not.

Also, His promises are illuminated and when I am aware of what is happening out there in the world, not only can I point out what promises have been fulfilled, but also know/have hope of future promises yet to be fulfilled.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 09:24:34 AM »
God's word is designed to effect changes in our lives--changes that benefit Him and us.
This is theologically weird. God is by definition perfect. Nothing that we do can "benefit" Him.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
God's word is designed to effect changes in our lives--changes that benefit Him and us.
This is theologically weird. God is by definition perfect. Nothing that we do can "benefit" Him.

This is why I'm a Christian, Fenris. Your religion once had faith in it. Now it appears not to have any understanding of God except the bare essentials of morality and justice.

The God I know isn't a philosophical concept removed of all human characteristics. He is not a man, though I believe He is revealed in Christ, but He made us in His image. As such, He does not need us, but showed us, through creating emotions in us, that He has endowed Himself with similar characteristics in His creation of us.

God does "benefit," not in the sense that He has any intrinsic human or worldly need. But His benefit is connected to the act of creation itself, in which the benefit is resident in His motive for creating us. He benefits when we obey simply because He created us for obedience.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »
This is why I'm a Christian, Fenris. Your religion once had faith in it.
Of course my religion has faith in it. Every religion does. Why do you make outlandish statements like this?

Now it appears not to have any understanding of God except the bare essentials of morality and justice.
If by "bare essentials of morality and justice" you mean the morality and justice that God communicated to us in the bible, they yes, that's what we have.

The God I know isn't a philosophical concept removed of all human characteristics. He is not a man, though I believe He is revealed in Christ, but He made us in His image. As such, He does not need us
Well there you go. So what are we arguing about?

God does "benefit," not in the sense that He has any intrinsic human or worldly need. But His benefit is connected to the act of creation itself, in which the benefit is resident in His motive for creating us. He benefits when we obey simply because He created us for obedience.
If God created us "for obedience", then He could have created an army of robots instead. So perhaps God created us to express our free will?

Redeemed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »
I'm going day by day, sometimes stumbling and sometimes falling flat on my face. Through it all I trust in God and pray that my love for Him increases. 

The end times? Meh. I'm concerned with the here and now.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 11:46:03 PM »
I agree that now is more important, because it's what we do now that gets us where we want to go. But it's important to have directions! ;)

Redeemed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 07:00:38 AM »
Eschatology is part and parcel of our theology and doctrines. I guess I shouldn't be so flippant about it or seem to suggest it's not important. I'm merely saying that my relationship with God and how I live my life in the here and now is my focus.
We are to be in the scriptures daily as Scripture tells us. We also have jobs and how we interact with others is just as important. Is my love for Him reflected in my words and interactions? Is His light and love shining through me so that others who don't have a relationship with God want to know what the heck is going on?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:03:57 AM by Redeemed »

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »
Thought for the day:

True joy comes in doing God's will. No matter how much emotional or physical pain, it may bring.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Pbminimum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »

Been reading in Judges about Samson.

[/size]I think of how God's Word recognizes Samson as a man of faith, Hebrews 11:32. Yet, he also lived life selfishly. Imagine a legacy of being known as faithful to God but at the same time, seems any parent would teach their children, "don't be like Samson..."

[/size]I look at myself in the mirror, maybe we all should look in a mirror and ask ourselves,  "what do I do that should lead me to say to my child... don't be like me?"

I believe that Paul understood this and was conveying this message when he said "imitate me AS I IMITATE CHRIST."
Jesus is Lord

Pbminimum

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2021, 03:31:03 PM »
Of course my religion has faith in it. Every religion does. Why do you make outlandish statements like this?

If the object of our faith is not sufficient, then one could claim that our faith is bankrupt, or is a false faith.

Jesus is Lord

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by Athanasius
Yesterday at 04:37:15 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Oscar_Kipling
Yesterday at 03:29:45 PM

In Jesus name, Amen by ProDeo
September 14, 2024, 03:18:27 AM

Is free will a failed concept? by Athanasius
August 26, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Was the Father's will always subordinate to the Son's will? by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM