Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Thought for the day...  (Read 3428 times)

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
Thought for the day...
« on: June 02, 2021, 08:58:48 AM »

Been reading in Judges about Samson.

[/size]I think of how God's Word recognizes Samson as a man of faith, Hebrews 11:32. Yet, he also lived life selfishly. Imagine a legacy of being known as faithful to God but at the same time, seems any parent would teach their children, "don't be like Samson..."

[/size]I look at myself in the mirror, maybe we all should look in a mirror and ask ourselves,  "what do I do that should lead me to say to my child... don't be like me?"
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

The Parson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Parsons Corner ~ Ask the Preacher
Re: Thought for the day...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
Funny you should mention that. I've had to ask that question several times myself.
1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
The Parsons Corner Ministries

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »
It's like comparing Daniel with David. Who was the better man? The answer is: they were equally great men of God. One was forced into a life of deprivation. The other had too much freedom. But both ultimately poured their souls out to God. That's the legacy we need to have, and not focus on our flaws. We must surely overcome our biggest errors though if we wish to leave a lasting legacy.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 02:53:41 PM »
Thought for the day:

Prayer must never be the last resort in any given situation. Prayer should be the first effort, before entering into any given situation.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
Thought for the day:

I was reading through 1 Samuel 15 this morning. After King Saul was given direction (an order) from the Lord, he set out to accomplish his mission = sets out to be obedient.

Yet, by verse 9, we find how King Saul begins to rebel against God's will = is disobedient.

Why?

Well, lets discern some symptoms of pride:

1) In verse 12 we can begin to discern how "pride" is manifest in King Saul's mind and heart = He's set up a monument to himself.

2) Verse 13, King Saul "believes" he is being obedient to God = is deceived by his pride.

3) Verse 15, King Saul justifies himself (his rebellion) = stubbornness/stiff necked.

Then in verses 17-19, Samuel CORRECTS King Saul by specifically speaking (reminds King Saul), what God said to do.

4) Verse 20-21, King Saul continues to be stubborn against what God said to do and deceives "himself" by his very words of justification = stands firm in his rebellion against God.
Samuel declares consequence in verses 22-23.

5) Verses 24-25, Once faced with consequence, King Saul admits his rebellion but "blames" others as an excuse = identifies himself as a people pleaser and lacks taking responsibility of one's own sin.

6) Verse 30, King Saul will NOT humble himself despite admission of his sin = continues to lack responsibility and will not release the pride (no repentance).

7) Verse 31, King Saul is mourned over = our loved ones and friends love us, even while one's pride has led one to rebel against God.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:10:46 PM by Slug1 »
--Slug1-out

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »
Thought for the day:

God speaks to our conscience and we know this as "conviction." This conviction is a guide, what’s right or wrong to God (not to us), points us toward obedience, etc. As we heed this conviction more and more, we change and this is evident by what we desire. We may have once desired to not go to church because the football game was on but over time, the conviction of the Holy Spirit guided us to find more importance in serving God at church. So in time, our desire is not to sit home for the game but to instead, be that door greeter during service instead.

Conviction is when God is speaking "to" us... but when others view our new desires (how we changed and what we DO for Christ), this is not God speaking to us, but instead, God is speaking to OTHERS through us. They see how we serve, how we act when there is a problem (we exercise self-control and patience), how we remain righteous when the masses are doing wrong (we continue to do right) because our desire is NOW Christ-like.
--Slug1-out

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 03:53:38 PM »
Thought for the day:

Prayer must never be the last resort in any given situation. Prayer should be the first effort, before entering into any given situation.
I like this very much.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 11:10:55 PM »
Thought for the day:

Truth has a way of getting out from being hidden in darkness and emerge into the light of day!
--Slug1-out

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
Thought for the day:

I've read the following several times over the years:

In Essentials -- UNITY -- In Non-Essentials -- LIBERTY -- in ALL THINGS -- LOVE!

I wonder, even in my own life, how many times have we viewed the theology and/or actually looked critically, even judgingly upon brethren while they tripped and stumbled along in their process of sanctification, forgetting our own trips, stumbles and misunderstanding of Scripture(s)... and then ask God why there is no unity in "all" the Body of Christ?

Love... is the answer!
--Slug1-out

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 11:42:01 PM »
That really gets to the heart of Christianity.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
Thought for the day:

1 Chronicles 4:10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested.

While I've read this verse in the past, discussed the verse periodically during Bible studies, the verse was part of this mornings OT reading.

What resonated with me this morning. One was from v9 where Jabez is identified as "more honorable," than his brothers. Is this "honor" accredited to him due to the quality of his relationship with God, revealed in that very short prayer?

1) Jabez gives God His due (glory) by admitting ALL blessings come from God.

2) While I've heard many thoughts concerning an enlargement of territory (borders), I've always leaned toward Jabez asking God for "more" responsibility. I say this because of the next two parts of the prayer.

3) Jabez asks God for guidance in all that he is responsible for.

4) Jabez finally asks God for protection in/over all that he is responsible for, that no mistakes (prevent him from doing any evil), are made which could "afflict or grieve" others.

Let me add this concerning the fourth part; in Hebrew 6087 the term is עָצַב - atsab - Verb - to hurt, pain, grieve. Some translations state that final part reads as Jabez asking God to not "receive" harm/hurt. Jabez isn't asking that. He's asking all that "he does," does not cause hurt/grief to others.

This verse is produce (fruit/example) of a man who has placed God FIRST in his life, a person who wants to be "like" God and who is focused on doing Kingdom work!
--Slug1-out

hawkman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 12:53:15 AM »
Thought for the day:

Once I prayed for a situation I was not involved in and after I prayed did not think about it again . Then one day I heard the situation had resolved in a good way . As I thought about it I thought "well that tuned out good! " and Just as I thought that the Holy Spirit said to me " You did pray for the situation didn't you ?" Yes I had prayed and forgot until the Holy Spirit reminded me  :)  .

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 01:37:35 AM »
That is so true! I often think, as I walk with God, that I'm praying about everything I'm doing. But on occasion I get into repetition, and believe I will always achieve the desired result just by repeating certain actions.

Then one day things don't turn out as usual, and I resort to the usual fix. But the fix doesn't work! Somewhere, along the way, I realize I hadn't prayed at all! And so, I pray. The answer doesn't always come instantly, and it isn't always yes. But amazingly, sometimes I do get definite results,  for which I have to turn my face to God and sincerely thank Him with a grateful heart.

Someone has said that when we pray throughout our lives, we will forget some of those prayers, but God never forgets. As you say, God reminds us, sometimes years later: "Remember you prayed for this?" It's utterly amazing how God visits us many years later, having not forgotten a thing that we asked for! :)

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 08:30:04 AM »
Thought for the day:

Does my knowledge and understanding of scripture, especially end-times related scripture, IMPACT the way that "I" live?
--Slug1-out

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Does my knowledge and understanding of scripture, especially end-times related scripture, IMPACT the way that "I" live?
Why should end times scripture affect how one lives? I thought the point was to lead a lifestyle that God approves of, and let Him worry about the end-timesy stuff. 

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris