Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Israel, Hamas, etc  (Read 4400 times)

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
Re: Israel, Hamas, etc
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2024, 06:52:19 PM »
OK, mister... Who are you and what have you done with our "Oscar."...

:o :o :o

Haha, I guess he's been slowly disappearing for a while, like the McFly family... but not completely, because like, Back to The Future was my goto analogy...at least it wasn't batman though.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 12:49:18 PM »
But, to my question, again as I remember it, it seemed that you were asserting that wiping out Hamas was a thing that could be done without much if any consideration given to any of the other possible contributions that I mention in my post. Do I have you wrong? what are your thoughts?
Just wipe out their military in Gaza. Nothing else matters.

Mainly I'd say the treatment of Palestine and Palestinians. Even if we just consider the change of status quo that will be the result after this war ends (if it ends in a way where this is even relevant) What Israel does will be critical, just wiping out Hamas in Gaza
The Palestinians made their choice and threw in their lot with Hamas. Nobody was worried about German or Japanese civilians during the second world war, because there was a war to be won.  Why is this any different? Where is all the care and concern for Israeli civilians?

isn't going to address the grievances of the Palestinians
Their grievances are addressable. All they have to do is come to the table with reasonable demands, like a state next to Israel, when they are asking for a state in the place of Israel. All they have to do is be willing to live together in peace, instead of using the land they're given to launch further wars.

Israel doesn't have any obligation to give territory to people who want to murder them.

I think those points are important, because I believe that if there is even the whiff of western influences steering the destiny of Iran, not only will there be organic revulsion at that prospect, but I believe that there can be an effective propaganda campaign that can steer a regime change in a direction that is hostile to people and ideas that would facilitate the goals of the west;
The people of Iran want to be free of the Islamic fundamentalists that run the country. They are pro-democracy and pro-west and even I believe, pro-Israel. They would be happy to have help from the west to remove the lunatics that run the country. But we'll never know, because the west is too busy propping them up.

Next, I have to push back on what appears to me to be your idea that Israel could somehow be emancipated from the restraining forces of the west to eliminate Hamas in Palestine without greater repercussions in the region that would directly or indirectly impact American interests. What I mean to say is that it is not unreasonable for America to postulate that if we let Israel 'have at it' that those actions might force our hand to intervene because other radical Islamic forces and/or governments will involve themselves and escalate the conflict. Even if we pretend that Israel itself is not directly relevant to American interests (it is), It matters what Israel does in this war.
Israel has no obligation whatsoever to subsume their national security to what you perceive as "American Interests". What's more, I think you're totally wrong.  A strong Israel is better for American interests in the region, and a weak Israel is worse.

Likewise attempting to somehow untether actions that the US and allies would make to change regimes in Iran from Israel is unreasonable. Israel would be critical to the success of any such operation, in expertise, in intelligence information, and in resources. Moreover it would make no sense that Israel would not want to be directly involved and have the ability to very meaningfully effect any such plan at essentially every level is not reasonable. Even if I gave you that Israel has no responsibility (they do), I cannot give you that they would not accept or take responsibility in something that so directly affects them. I don't know that it is anyone's job per se, but even if Israel isn't the construction manager, they are definitely a foreman on the job site.   

This is laughable. Israel has *responsibility* to affect regime change in another country? Who else has this responsibility ? Who gave Israel this responsibility? What responsibilities do people in other countries have?

I hope that clarifies my thoughts somewhat. and I hope you take the time to clarify your thoughts to me.
Yeah you've clarified your positions. They're bizarre.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:43:31 AM »
Just wipe out their military in Gaza. Nothing else matters.

Well, It has been well understood by me that this is you believe this is the highest priority, but what I've been trying to get at is if you can see any consequences or fallout from setting this as the highest priority where nothing else matters. I get it if you are saying that you don't care about any possible consequences or precipitants, but I'm asking if you can envision any reasonably predictable repercussions.

The Palestinians made their choice and threw in their lot with Hamas. Nobody was worried about German or Japanese civilians during the second world war, because there was a war to be won.  Why is this any different?

I don't believe that the argument that "since they didn't do it in the 1940's, so we shouldn't either" is especially compelling. Regardless, Of course people worried about German and Japanese civilians and made at least some decisions based on post war civilian considerations. Pretending that the world had some single monolithic opinion about civilian casualties back then is not only incorrect, but even if it was correct they also thought radium and lead were great paint additives, so maybe their positions were not entirely unassailable.

Anyway this is all beside the point, I was mostly talking about the post war concerns between Israel and Palestine. Even If Israel manages to destroy and drive Hamas out of Gaza the reasons why they came to power will still exist and may even be exacerbated, and that is a problem. if Hamas as an organization is wiped out completely, and nothing changes in the relationship between Israel and Palestine then a new Hamas can find fertile soil to grow and we'll be doing this all over again in 15 or 20 years.

Where is all the care and concern for Israeli civilians?

It seems to me, and this is just my opinion that "care and concern for Israeli civilians" in your mind must come in the form of "Just wipe out their military in Gaza. Nothing else matters.". My concern that there is a legitimate risk that this will escalate and or repeat and kill more Israeli civilians is concern. I think that it is possible that both Israeli's and Palestinians and folks around them both stand to lose many more civilians over many generations.

Their grievances are addressable. All they have to do is come to the table with reasonable demands, like a state next to Israel, when they are asking for a state in the place of Israel. All they have to do is be willing to live together in peace, instead of using the land they're given to launch further wars.
Israel doesn't have any obligation to give territory to people who want to murder them.

oh, does Netanyahu support a Palestinian state these days?

The people of Iran want to be free of the Islamic fundamentalists that run the country. They are pro-democracy and pro-west and even I believe, pro-Israel. They would be happy to have help from the west to remove the lunatics that run the country. But we'll never know, because the west is too busy propping them up.

sounds easy when you say it like that. Do you believe that it is as simple and primed for success as your post indicates, if so Why?

Israel has no obligation whatsoever to subsume their national security to what you perceive as "American Interests". What's more, I think you're totally wrong.  A strong Israel is better for American interests in the region, and a weak Israel is worse. 

you did not understand the thrust of my statement. My point was that Israel's actions are likely to affect the US therefore it makes sense for the US to care how Israel acts. You are right, Israel is an adult and is free to disregard anything the US says. In a very real sense the idea that they are being held back is actually just Israel holding themselves back because they do not want to face the consequences if disregarding the US. Pretending that our countries interests are not tied to each other is kind of pointless just like pretending that wars against terrorists organizations are as simple as 'wipe em out over there' and you're done. I don't think that the US wants Israel weak, but I do not think they are exactly aligned on what that means.

This is laughable. Israel has *responsibility* to affect regime change in another country? Who else has this responsibility ? Who gave Israel this responsibility? What responsibilities do people in other countries have? 

I'm saying that overthrowing the Iranian government is as much Israel's responsibility as it is the US or EU's. Personally I think the proposition of an engineered coup is extremely fraught and carries with it the great risk of going terribly wrong and leaving the area worse off in the long run. At least Iran's current tyrannical government is kind of stable and sort of predictable. I don't trust any of those governments to do it, but much less to do it alone. At least together it has a higher chance of success. It makes no sense to me that anyone would engage in such a project and Israel would just sit it out when it would directly impact the country....but again I don't think its a great idea regardless.

Yeah you've clarified your positions. They're bizarre.

I think its bizarre to have lived through 9/11 and America's ventures in the middle east over the last 20 years and not have any sense of consequences of actions. I mean idk how old you are , but like didn't you live through like the 80's, were you alive for the Islamic revolution? I don't know how your take on everything is so simplistic.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Today at 11:20:04 AM »
Well, It has been well understood by me that this is you believe this is the highest priority

It IS the highest priority.

Imagine if after 9/11 someone said that wiping out Al Qaeda wasn't the highest priority.

Imagine if after 12/7 someone said that toppling totalitarian Japan wasn't the highest priority.

but what I've been trying to get at is if you can see any consequences or fallout from setting this as the highest priority where nothing else matters. I get it if you are saying that you don't care about any possible consequences or precipitants, but I'm asking if you can envision any reasonably predictable repercussions.
I don't care. That's the world's problem, not Israel's problem.

Jews were murdered for being Jews. We're not going back to where that was normal. Don't attack Israel and nothing bad will happen to you. Simple equation.

I don't believe that the argument that "since they didn't do it in the 1940's, so we shouldn't either" is especially compelling. Regardless, Of course people worried about German and Japanese civilians and made at least some decisions based on post war civilian considerations.
No, they didn't.

On March 10, 1945, the US Air Force dropped  1700 tons of fire bombs on Tokyo. The attack killed 100,000 Japanese people and injured another million, almost all civilians.

Anyway this is all beside the point, I was mostly talking about the post war concerns between Israel and Palestine. Even If Israel manages to destroy and drive Hamas out of Gaza the reasons why they came to power will still exist and may even be exacerbated, and that is a problem.
The reason they came to power is because their platform of genocidal intentions are popular with Palestinians.

After world war 2 nobody asked "why did the Nazis come to power?" Instead the allies went about deNazifying Germany. Gaza needs to be "De-Hamased" or all this was for nothing.

It seems to me, and this is just my opinion that "care and concern for Israeli civilians" in your mind must come in the form of "Just wipe out their military in Gaza. Nothing else matters."
It seems to me that you express concern for Palestinian civilians and not Israeli civilians.

Why is that?

My concern that there is a legitimate risk that this will escalate and or repeat and kill more Israeli civilians is concern.
So you think Israel should tolerate the murder of her citizens, because if they act against entities that murder Israeli citizens, even more Israeli citizens will be murdered?

Really?

oh, does Netanyahu support a Palestinian state these days?
After 10/7 no one should support a Palestinian state.

They have to prove that they're ready. And they're not. Really, really not.

sounds easy when you say it like that.
Maybe it is easy. We won't know until we try.

you did not understand the thrust of my statement. My point was that Israel's actions are likely to affect the US therefore it makes sense for the US to care how Israel acts.
And yet the US government has been wrong, completely wrong, on every single detail of this war. So butt out already.

I'm saying that overthrowing the Iranian government is as much Israel's responsibility as it is the US or EU's.
The Mullahs in Iran have an unhealthy obsession with Jews and the state of Israel. That does not make it "Israel's responsibility" to remove them. Was it the Jews responsibility to remove Hitler from power?

I think its bizarre to have lived through 9/11
"Lived through 9/11? I was there. As a first responder.

and America's ventures in the middle east over the last 20 years and not have any sense of consequences of actions.
I know there wasn't another 9/11 scale attack over the last 20 years. So, mission accomplished?

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Today at 11:56:54 AM »
In case you missed it….

The Mossad boys are crawling on the floor laughing right now….

https://www.breitbart.com/middle-east/2024/09/17/graphic-content-warning-hundreds-of-hezbollah-members-wounded-when-pagers-explode/

Confirmed from
Multiple sources including some USMilitary
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Today at 12:04:32 PM »
I'm hearing as of right now, 2500 injured, 200 seriously, 8 fatalities. So far. Some VIPs including members of the Lebanese government and the Iranian diplomat to Lebanon.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Today at 12:26:34 PM »
Oops.😬
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Today at 12:27:33 PM »
Updated figures, 3,000 injured, 50 critically, 10 fatalities.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Today at 12:48:20 PM »
At least 18 senior Hizbullah members in Damascus, Syria, are in critical condition.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Today at 12:50:52 PM »
That’s a really amazing psyop and kinetic strike…

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:50:52 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 09:29:05 PM

In Jesus name, Amen by ProDeo
September 14, 2024, 03:18:27 AM

Is free will a failed concept? by Athanasius
August 26, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Was the Father's will always subordinate to the Son's will? by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM

Faith and peace by CrimsonTide21