Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Watcha doing?  (Read 19206 times)

tango

• Well that didn't go as planned.
    • View Profile
Re: Watcha doing?
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2024, 09:13:24 AM »
I walked my 1.5 miles in 24 minutes flat last night…. With the hills, I really don’t know if I can walk it any faster…

When I started walking I just walked around a local loop that's a bit under 3 miles. Then I started to push the speed a little, then increased the distance, then started pushing the speed a bit more. My watch tells me my pace so I just aimed at the next goal and getting as close as I could to it, then gradually set faster goals. If you chip away at it slowly it's surprising how you can increase speed.

Depending on hills and your health condition you'll hit limits sooner or later, but you probably don't need me to tell you that :)

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2024, 09:19:21 AM »
I frequently shop at Walmart.  And so, yes my legs hate me.

(Not to mention social anxiety).

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2024, 09:27:38 AM »
I played my 17yr old son yesterday in one on one basketball. At 46yrs old, I know the day is coming that he'll beat me..."But it is not this day!"

Although, today my legs hate me...

"My legs hate me" is becoming a recurring theme around here....

One of the teenagers at church plays for his school basketball team. I was shooting some hoops with him the other day, committing multiple and frequent fouls because it was the only way I could score anything at all. Even as he complained bitterly about yet another foul he was still winning. In the end I proposed a new scoring structure where we scored our age with each successful basket. He still won.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2024, 10:06:32 AM »
I walked my 1.5 miles in 24 minutes flat last night…. With the hills, I really don’t know if I can walk it any faster…

When I started walking I just walked around a local loop that's a bit under 3 miles. Then I started to push the speed a little, then increased the distance, then started pushing the speed a bit more. My watch tells me my pace so I just aimed at the next goal and getting as close as I could to it, then gradually set faster goals. If you chip away at it slowly it's surprising how you can increase speed.

Depending on hills and your health condition you'll hit limits sooner or later, but you probably don't need me to tell you that :)

From a cardio/pulmonary analysis, I'm good.  Yeah, heart rate is up and I'm winded at the top of the hills, but not gasping and I keep the pace and stride fairly consistent up and down.  I'm walking about about 120 steps a minute, so I think there will be an outer limit just from a stride and tempo analysis.

When I started a month ago, I did the 1.5 in 30 minutes.  Now down to 24.  Not quite 4 miles an hour, and some of these hills have a pretty good incline and are about 400 yards long.

But, I've lost about 14 pounds so far...
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2024, 01:03:44 PM »
Before the mill closed I walked 10mi per shift and fetched firewood all year. Basically disabled since 4yrs of age (have not run since then) I really pushed things.

Walking far now is pretty much out of the question and the physical stuff is minimal anymore.

I make as much or more driving than a Tech lll at the limeplant on top of being retired.

I enjoy seeing folks running, hiking or walking.

A very wise lifestyle.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 01:08:09 PM by IMINXTC »

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2024, 01:45:40 PM »

From a cardio/pulmonary analysis, I'm good.  Yeah, heart rate is up and I'm winded at the top of the hills, but not gasping and I keep the pace and stride fairly consistent up and down.  I'm walking about about 120 steps a minute, so I think there will be an outer limit just from a stride and tempo analysis.

When I started a month ago, I did the 1.5 in 30 minutes.  Now down to 24.  Not quite 4 miles an hour, and some of these hills have a pretty good incline and are about 400 yards long.

But, I've lost about 14 pounds so far...

If your heart rate isn't going dangerously high (whatever that means based on your circumstances) you've got space to speed it up if you want to. When I'm really pushing the pace walking my cadence can go to about 150 or so, although at a more comfortable pace it's usually around the mid-130s. Taking slightly shorter strides and more of them is a good way to increase the pace - if your stride length goes above a certain level it can actually slow you down.

Another thing I found was that at the top of a hill I naturally wanted to slow right down and catch my breath but what I took to doing was to back off on the power but increase the speed slightly. If you're shifting from going up a hill to flat or downhill you can go faster with less effort, rather than winding the effort way down.

And of course the ultimate question is how fast you want to go. If you want to push the pace faster and faster there are ways and means, if you're happy with the pace you're going now and want to get more gentle exercise in there's no need to try and push it harder.

Today's run left me soaked in sweat. It wasn't particularly fast, it was just very humid outside. I got home and wrung sweat out of my shirt before putting it in the laundry. Then I had to cool off fast because I was meeting a friend for lunch before he takes off on a long summer trip with his family. So now I'm cooled off, far more caffeinated than I need to be thanks to the coffee shop where I met my friend, and trying to get motivated to do some more work in the sweat box that is the other side of my house. Running a fan over there isn't ideal because it just blows the sawdust even further than natural airflow takes it.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2024, 01:53:15 PM »
I hear you.

I 've found I have to intentionally pick up the pace after topping a hill lest I simply collapse on the road and get squished.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2024, 04:22:48 PM »
I hear you.

I 've found I have to intentionally pick up the pace after topping a hill lest I simply collapse on the road and get squished.

Getting squished on the road is an outcome best avoided. So people tell me.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2024, 11:24:45 PM »
Set-backs and delays but still prepping for relocation.

Flee MAGA stronghold for starters, if, when possible.

No looking back.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 07:49:00 AM by IMINXTC »

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2024, 09:05:36 AM »
I got a bunch more of my wall framed. I had to stop work because I ran out of 2x4s so as soon as it stops raining today I need to go and buy some more. I strap them to the roof of my car, which involves going round and round my car with the rope tying them down, then repeating the process in reverse to get them off again at home, so I prefer not to do it in the rain.

So far I've got the room and associated closet mostly framed, I just need to put the cross bar across the top of where the doors will go in place and the associated stubby bit between that and the ceiling. I have a few offcuts but not enough to finish. With some extra 2x4s I can frame the wall that will divide the landing and the batroom, so it seems I might as well do that while I'm on a roll.

It looks kinda weird not seeing a big stack of lumber on my temporary floor, and really weird seeing this big open space looking ever-more like a room.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2024, 02:12:27 PM »
Stopped drinking 10 cups of coffee a day after headaches, heart palpitations, jittery feelings, sleep disruptions. Detoxification process as I read can take 2-9 days, I am now on decaf coffee.

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2024, 04:01:22 PM »
Stopped drinking 10 cups of coffee a day after headaches, heart palpitations, jittery feelings, sleep disruptions. Detoxification process as I read can take 2-9 days, I am now on decaf coffee.

10 cups a day is a lot. My wife and I drink enough we get a wholesale discount from my local roaster but we're nowhere near that level. I've felt kinda buzzed for a couple of hours after four cups at the local cafe, which is why I very seldom drink that much coffee. It's a good feeling at first but soon fades to something I'd really rather went away.

On an unrelated note, I now have a dozen nice new 2x4s sitting on my temporary floor, so it doesn't look forlorn any more. Maybe this afternoon I can get some of them cut up and put into position. I tried going for a run but it was one of those days when my legs just had nothing to give and I struggled to even run for two minutes. Needless to say the heat and humidity weren't helping, but even aside from that it just felt like there was no fuel in the tank at all.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2024, 07:50:29 PM »
T(r)ipping point: on average, 400mg caffeine. (4cups daily)

Just gets me started ::)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 07:59:39 PM by IMINXTC »

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2024, 10:59:34 PM »
T(r)ipping point: on average, 400mg caffeine. (4cups daily)

Just gets me started ::)

I had an interesting encounter with the Black Rifle Coffee Company. A local discount store had a few of their canned drinks in stock so I tried one. It had 300mg of caffeine in it, which didn't register as a particularly high dose. Maybe slightly high but not high enough to cause concern. So I drank the can of coffee and found myself feeling agitated. Trying another can on another day I found that If I drink it slowly and I'm properly hydrated it works. If I drink it too fast, it's not so good.

Then I found the canned coffee also has a few other bits and pieces in it, so don't buy it any more.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 11:05:13 PM by tango »

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2024, 11:04:50 PM »
I got my two doorways fully framed with crossbars and struts in the middle of the crossbars. I started measuring up where the next section of wall is going to go and it looks like I need to correct the angle ever so slightly - I'm a little under  half an inch off at one end of a wall that will be about seven feet long in total. It's ironic because I nudged the small section of wall very slightly out of square to correct another issue, and now it looks like I might have been better off leaving it square. It's a small enough issue, and with a door in the middle of the wall it should be easy enough to lose half an inch. I was going to cut a stud away and start framing but that will require me to line the ceiling with soundproofing material, which will require me to pull down some ceiling laths, which will rain cellulose down on me, and I didn't feel like starting that job late in the evening.

I also think I bought too many 2x4s. I figured I'd rather have one or two spares than find myself one short and having to go to the lumber mill to buy a single one, but I have 11 left and think I need 7. I'm not sure when I'll be needing more of them, because when I pull down the brick wall I'll probably replace it with 2x6s for a bit of extra strength.

Recent Topics

Eschatology - Introduction PLEASE READ by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:39:59 AM

Baptism and Communion by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:35:20 AM

Faith and peace by Stephen Andrew
June 22, 2024, 05:32:43 AM

The New Political Ethos by ProDeo
June 13, 2024, 03:27:40 AM

Is the US its own worst enemy? by Sojourner
June 11, 2024, 11:58:28 AM

Watcha doing? by tango