Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: What Makes A Person Jewish?  (Read 14420 times)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: What Makes A Person Jewish?
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »
Maybe you need a new Bible…

😳😀
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2023, 12:46:04 PM »
Maybe you need a new Bible…
"You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it," Deuteronomy 4 and elsewhere.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »
Mary provides Jesus' Jewish DNA, while God Himself decrees His Son's right to the throne as messiah.
This is irrelevant. You can't sell Jesus as being from the line of David when his father is not, in fact, from the line of David.
(See Psalms 2).
This Psalm is about David.

I said Jesus is Jewish because of Mary, and that He inherits the kingdom because God says so. I didn't anticipate an agreement about Psalms 2.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2023, 12:51:17 PM »
😳😀
I mean really, if your answer is "I know the rules in your bible don't permit this, but if you accept this new revelation it all works out..." then how can you logically reject Mormonism? Or Islam for that matter?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2023, 12:55:02 PM »
I said Jesus is Jewish because of Mary,
Which is trivial, but ok.

and that He inherits the kingdom because God says so.
But the messiah has to come from the line of David. By your definition, he doesn't. If God had no intention of doing that, why put it in the bible to begin with?
I didn't anticipate an agreement about Psalms 2.
Psalm 2 is irrelevant, given the above point.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2023, 02:06:26 PM »
I didn't anticipate an agreement about Psalms 2.
There is no reason to believe this Psalm is about anyone besides the author, king David. Verse 7: "I will tell of the decree; The Lord said to me, "You are My son; this day have I begotten you."

But even if you want to say that it's referring to the messiah, so what? The biblical line where God refers to someone as "My son" does not mean that they are of divine origin. God refers to the entire nation of Israel in this manner, Exodus 4, for example, "Then tell Pharaoh that this is what the LORD says: ‘Israel is My firstborn son, and I told you to let My son go so that he may worship Me. " Or Hosea 11: "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son..." Or Deuteronomy 14: You are the children of the LORD your God.

This is also a poetic term referring to the line of king David. For example, about king Solomon: He said to me: ‘Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.  It doesn't mean that Solomon didn't have a human father.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2023, 02:43:22 PM »
😳😀
I mean really, if your answer is "I know the rules in your bible don't permit this, but if you accept this new revelation it all works out..." then how can you logically reject Mormonism? Or Islam for that matter?

The Hebrew Scriptures were new revelation for the previous folks.  Let’s not appeal to self defeating logic…
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2023, 02:45:00 PM »
The Hebrew Scriptures were new revelation for the previous folks. 
The Hebrew scriptures did not contradict previously existing divine revelation.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2023, 02:49:03 PM »
What previous revelation do you consider to be divine?

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2023, 02:59:07 PM »
The Hebrew Scriptures were new revelation for the previous folks. 
The Hebrew scriptures did not contradict previously existing divine revelation.

New Testament does not claim to contradict the old.

It claims that the Old is fulfilled in the person of Jesus the Messiah and that the New Covenant based in Jesus blood sacrifice is the basis of a new and better covenant.

I believe that by faith, just as you hold to the old covenant by faith.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
What previous revelation do you consider to be divine?
None.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2023, 04:41:04 PM »
New Testament does not claim to contradict the old.
We are having a discussion in which it appears that it does.

The messiah must come from the line of king David, passed down father to son. Jesus is not descended from king David on his father's side.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2023, 09:16:59 PM »
But if one believes the virgin birth then the adopting human father would be the legal line to David

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2023, 03:33:15 PM »
There is no reason to believe this Psalm is about anyone besides the author, king David. Verse 7: "I will tell of the decree; The Lord said to me, "You are My son; this day have I begotten you."

But even if you want to say that it's referring to the messiah, so what? The biblical line where God refers to someone as "My son" does not mean that they are of divine origin. God refers to the entire nation of Israel in this manner, Exodus 4, for example, "Then tell Pharaoh that this is what the LORD says: ‘Israel is My firstborn son, and I told you to let My son go so that he may worship Me. " Or Hosea 11: "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son..." Or Deuteronomy 14: You are the children of the LORD your God.

This is also a poetic term referring to the line of king David. For example, about king Solomon: He said to me: ‘Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.  It doesn't mean that Solomon didn't have a human father.

Well some of your Jewish sages believed Psalms 2 referred to David's greater son, the messiah, so I guess it's a matter of interpretation. Here's a point to consider: the text describes the nations conspiring against God and His Annointed in a futile attempt to throw off their subservience to them. (This actually sounds like the great rebellion that occurs at the end of the Millennial Kingdom as described in Revelation 20:7-9).

At any rate, in order to cast off such a yoke, the nations had to first be under it. With the nations of the world never having been in subjection to David as God's annointed, Psalms 2 is prophecy concerning the dominion of a future messianic ruler. I choose to believe that individual is Jesus of Nazareth. Time will tell.

Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2023, 09:27:39 PM »
But if one believes the virgin birth then the adopting human father would be the legal line to David
Nope.

Adoption in Judaism is a big Mitzvah, but it confers no legal rights on the adoptee. One can't be adopted by the king and be in line for the throne. One can't be adopted by the high priest and be the next high priest.

Recent Topics

Thankful by Sojourner
Today at 06:46:33 PM

I Knew Him-Joseph by Cloudwalker
Today at 01:57:39 PM

Church Abuse/ Rebuke by tango
Today at 09:34:39 AM

Riddle by RabbiKnife
Today at 08:04:58 AM

just wanted to say by ProDeo
Today at 04:53:45 AM

Has anyone heard from Parson lately? by Cloudwalker