Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Trump shooting  (Read 2828 times)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Trump shooting
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 10:47:35 AM »
"I had God on my side." Donald Trump

And the man who died?

Another for the annals of idiotic statements.

I guess Paul was an idiot as well.

Romans 8:31

Chill, bro.  Your bias is sticking out, and you should really tuck that thing back in.  No one wants to see it...

We often use similar language when inferring that God divinely intervened on our behalf.  Nothing in the statement suggests that those that had other outcomes were somehow against God, or that God was against them.

It's going to be OK.

Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2024, 12:14:54 PM »
Sigh...

If we could only remove the offensive and unprovable claims to divine favor (in political speeches), perhaps we could get started on a making our nation and our planet a better and safer place to inhabit.

Okay, I'm out, which is where I should have stayed.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 12:17:27 PM by IMINXTC »

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2024, 04:16:13 AM »
"I had God on my side." Donald Trump

And the man who died?

Another for the annals of idiotic statements.

I guess Paul was an idiot as well.

Romans 8:31

Chill, bro.  Your bias is sticking out, and you should really tuck that thing back in.  No one wants to see it...

I liked IMINXTC post.

"I had God on my side." is a factual statement. He can't know.

It also implies the man that died did not have God on his side, an insult to the family.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 11:13:31 AM »
I don't see Trump's statement as objectionable, but perceive it as simply crediting God for saving him. I think Joe Louis phrased it better when he said we would win against Hitler--not because God was on our side--but because we were on His side. Despite a matter of semantics, Louis and Trump were making the same point about God's providence. People are quick to demonize Trump as an evil, hateful racist who would jeopardize the freedoms and liberties we enjoy as Americans. Yet, like the contrived "lawfare" mounted against him, this fear-mongering is an attempt to eliminate a man who is an obstacle to furthering the left's detrimental agenda.

I'm the first to acknowledge Trump's glaring character flaws. I think he is a thin-skinned, egotistical man of moral ambivalence who cannot handle constructive criticism. That said, we all have our own faults. Despite his flaws, Trump was a good President and could be again. Joe Biden on the other hand, is guilty of his own moral failings while not being a good President. Succumbing to pressure from his own party, he has bowed out and passed the torch to Kamala Harris, who, if nominated, will certainly perpetuate his detrimental policies. I'm persuaded that God spared Trump from assassination for a reason, the tragic, needless death of Corey Comperatore notwithstanding.

Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2024, 09:47:24 PM »
Whether or not there was intervention by God in the life of Trump during that assassination attempt, we cannot resent and allow our hearts to be hard toward the possibility God did move miraculously by claiming, "what about the one who did die, or those wounded!?" This whole event can be what-ifed to the end of time.

Isaiah 55:8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2024, 11:50:40 AM »
Reading the history books of antisemitism when the real diaspora started after AD70, where does this insane and never ending Jew hatred comes from? Certainly not from God.
It doesn't come "from" anywhere. It's a consequence of free will.

So while Christianity gives a clear answer to that question
"The devil made me do it" is the biggest cop-out there is. No. You made you do it. (Not you personally, obviously).

what's the answer in Judaism?
I've already given the answer. It's the consequence of free will. People who want to behave in an immoral manner are naturally opposed to the idea of the existence of a God Who has expectations of moral behavior. And while they cannot harm Him, they can harm His representatives in this world. "You are my witnesses, says the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen..." (Isaiah 43:10).

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by Oscar_Kipling
Yesterday at 06:52:19 PM

Watcha doing? by Cloudwalker
August 30, 2024, 03:18:46 PM

Is free will a failed concept? by Athanasius
August 26, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Was the Father's will always subordinate to the Son's will? by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM

Faith and peace by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 10:59:41 AM

Do you know then God of Jesus? by CrimsonTide21