Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Joel and Acts question?  (Read 1021 times)

brodav9

• View Profile
Re: Joel and Acts question?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 06:42:47 PM »
  I am only being helpful, not debating.

here are 3 passages.  1. in 2Cor. 1:22  the word for receiving the Holy Spirit is called sealed, that was the church then.  2. In Eph. 4:30 we wouldn't be able to say redemption is that sealing because this is after the cross. That means sealing is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. not redemption as salvation. yes redemption also cannot be said there because no one lived long enough to wait for redemption, so it has to be throughout many years for all people.
3. Revelations 7:4  the 144,000 Jews will be sealed with the Spirit. That is a future sealing so the Holy Spirit never stopped being poured out from Pentecost till now and then Rev. 7 to the future.

tango

• Well that didn't go as planned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 09:24:27 PM »
                              But this is is not a futurist statement.

I am wondering if you can elaborate about this conclusion that you state?

My reason for asking. The Acts verse is concerning Joel 2:28-32. Which, based on those (prophetic) verses, encompasses a time period from when the Holy Spirit is poured out (v28-29) upon the earth (all mankind) and all throughout the (or this) age where people are redeemed (saved) through believing, by faith (v32 - whoever calls on the name of the Lord), in Christ.

When Peter said "but this is..." he was talking in the present tense. It's happening, right here, right now, in front of you. It's no longer something that will happen at some point in the future.
Do you believe God has removed the Holy Spirit from earth?

Not at all.

When Joel spoke he was referring to some unknown time in the future. When Peter spoke he was saying "that time is now". There's no need for it to end at any given time.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 09:53:09 PM »
                              But this is is not a futurist statement.

I am wondering if you can elaborate about this conclusion that you state?

My reason for asking. The Acts verse is concerning Joel 2:28-32. Which, based on those (prophetic) verses, encompasses a time period from when the Holy Spirit is poured out (v28-29) upon the earth (all mankind) and all throughout the (or this) age where people are redeemed (saved) through believing, by faith (v32 - whoever calls on the name of the Lord), in Christ.
My statement does not disagree with yours... The Spirit poured out in Peters day is the same  Spirit we are blessed with today.

OK.

I just read to deeply into that specific conclusion, which I had related to the OP's position concerning signs/wonders "following" believers, once the outpouring of the Holy Spirit had begun and still continues.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 10:23:57 PM »
1. in 2Cor. 1:22  the word for receiving the Holy Spirit is called sealed, that was the church then.

By "time-lining" the church as "then," are you attempting to say the growing Body of Christ (the Church) at that period of time, is not the Body of Christ (the Church) still growing today?

In Eph. 4:30 we wouldn't be able to say redemption is that sealing because this is after the cross. That means sealing is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. not redemption as salvation. yes redemption also cannot be said there because no one lived long enough to wait for redemption, so it has to be throughout many years for all people.

Is there a chance you're confusing "sanctification" with "reconciliation/redemption (even justification)?"

The moment a person believes, they receive the Holy Spirit (sealed) and are thus, reconciled. Another term is redeemed/redemption, justified/justification, meaning in common Christianese, to be born-again (saved).

Your statement (the bolded part) is backwards because after the Cross, all who believe receive redemption (salvation), when they believe unto Christ. Being sealed by the Holy Spirit is just one of the promised evidences of our redemption (are saved), when by faith, we believe.

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Recent Topics

who is this man? by RabbiKnife
April 27, 2024, 07:49:55 PM

Watcha doing? by ProDeo
April 27, 2024, 05:32:27 AM

Bibleforums.NET by The Parson
April 25, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

Lemme see if I have this right by ProDeo
April 22, 2024, 02:13:03 PM

How Do I Know God Exists? by Cloudwalker
April 20, 2024, 05:47:40 PM

The Battle For The Mind by Oscar_Kipling