Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Quotable Quotes  (Read 7177 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
Quotable Quotes
« on: April 05, 2022, 04:13:39 PM »
We had a "Great Quotes" thread on the old Bibleforums site that many people enjoyed and contributed to. Over time, it grew into quite an impressive collection. I thought I'd start a revived version of it, and invite everyone to add quotes they like. It can be inspiring, humorous, or just a pearl of wisdom that resonates with most people. For the sake of accuracy, try to verify the authorship when attributing it to an individual. Here are a few to get things started:

"First, I think more Americans need to declare their independence from partisan politics on both sides. The more that Americans declare their independence, the more the parties will have to compete for their votes using reason rather than the hateful appeals." -John Avalon

"May the children of the stock of Abraham who dwell in this land continue to merit and enjoy the good will of the other inhabitants—while everyone shall sit in safety under his own vine and fig tree and there shall be none to make him afraid." - George Washington.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?"
-Thomas Jefferson

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Mcgyver

• View Profile
Re: Quotable Quotes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
(Probably Voltaire)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 09:24:20 PM »
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." -Will Rogers

Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Kingfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 08:05:56 AM »
Great idea!

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them; ships sink because of the water that gets in them. Don’t let what’s happening around you get inside you and weigh you down. – Author unknown

God can’t give us peace and happiness apart from himself because there is no such thing. – C.S. Lewis

The enemy wants to define you by your scars. Jesus wants to define you by His. – Louie Giglio
Go Fish

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 08:10:49 AM »
The patriot's prayer...  author unknown...

Lord, make me fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who wish to harm me and mine.
Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”.
and Lord, if today is truly the day you are to call me home,
Let me die in a pile of brass.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 09:28:11 AM »

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”

~~ Charles Dickens, in David Copperfield
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:19 AM »
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."
-Thomas Jefferson

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 12:14:28 PM »
"How unreasonable people are! They never use the freedoms they have but demand those they do not have; they have freedom of thought—they demand freedom of speech"

"Let others complain that the times are evil. I complain that they are wretched, for they are without passion. People's thoughts are as thin and fragile as lace, and they themselves as pitiable as lace-making girls. The thoughts of their hearts are too wretched to be sinful. It is perhaps possible to regard it as sin for a worm to nourish such thoughts, but not for a human being, who is created in the image of God"

"I have just now come from a party where I was its life and soul; witticisms streamed from my lips, everyone laughed and admired me, but I went away — yes, the dash should be as long as the radius of the earth's orbit ——————————— and wanted to shoot myself."

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."

"The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed."

"The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly."

"A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke."
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 12:19:28 PM »

“It makes no difference what men think of war... War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be.”

― Cormac McCarthy

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 12:25:21 PM »
The Talmud teaches man never to judge his friend until he has been in his place. But, for the world, the Jews are not friends. They have never been. Because they had no friends they are dead. So, learn to be silent.

Elie Weisel

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 12:47:25 PM »
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”

Anne Frank

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 12:53:21 PM »
Who has inflicted this upon us? Who has made us Jews different from all other people? Who has allowed us to suffer so terribly up till now? It is God that has made us as we are, but it will be God too who will raise us up again. If we bear all this suffering and if there are still Jews left, when it is over, then Jews, instead of being doomed, will be held up as an example. Who knows, it might even be our religion from which the world and peoples learn good, and for that reason and that reason only do we have to suffer now.

Anne Frank

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 01:02:26 PM »
“The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy but where are they.”

Plutarch

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 01:04:54 PM »
“Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Heraclitus

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:10 PM »
I have only one eye.

Do you wish me to watch the speedometer or the road?

^^ Moshe Dayan

Recent Topics

who is this man? by RabbiKnife
Yesterday at 07:49:55 PM

Watcha doing? by ProDeo
Yesterday at 05:32:27 AM

Bibleforums.NET by The Parson
April 25, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

Lemme see if I have this right by ProDeo
April 22, 2024, 02:13:03 PM

How Do I Know God Exists? by Cloudwalker
April 20, 2024, 05:47:40 PM

The Battle For The Mind by Oscar_Kipling