Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: "What the media get wrong is..."  (Read 4792 times)

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
Re: "What the media get wrong is..."
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2023, 08:25:07 PM »

This is a much better answer than your first one imo, more detail and nuance. In fairness to you I had assumed that you meant something more like this than what you initially said, but responding to what I thought you probably meant bares mixed results. I still think that you are crediting the "first they laugh at you" heuristic with more analytical potential than I would, but to each their own I suppose. If you're still on board for talking though, i'd like to know a bit more about why you believe that this is critical to your process?

Not critical at all, actually. When anyone says something, it is interesting how/who gangs up against what is said. The "how" usually being censoring at first and if they continue saying what they are saying, then banning. Then it is "who" is doing the censoring/banning. What is the censorer/banner trying to say and does not want to be refuted in any way?  Then ultimately, the "what"  is the context of what is being said on either side, should be investigated.

Investigating the "what" is where we find such a lack of thoroughness. It sure seems few will take the time to investigate what anyone on the media or on the internet, is saying anymore. You mention a "heuristic with more analytical potential", I'll be honest, I'm sure we both want to know what is truth and is not truth. If you did not, then you would not be analyzing my posts or any posts on this board and asking so many questions  ;)

IOW were you to drop it from your toolchain do you think you would be worse at distinguishing truth from fiction? Do you see any potential pitfalls to the process you've described and are their any steps that you take in order to avoid them?
Not reading through the resources utilized by fact gatherers or to search out my own, to see (verify) if they are relaying the facts or spinning an agenda? No truth vs fiction could be discerned if investigation is not done. I have no doubt that verifying facts would not be seen as a pitfall by you or anyone. Discussing "evidence" is usually the #1 way to discern truth and definitely a way to arrive at the truth.

would you mind sharing one of your favorite "free speech" platform independant fact gatherers and talk a bit about how you determined that this particular individual was a truth sayer that was rejected from the mainstream because they are truthful?
I've made efforts in the past along this line concerning such a request. Always a waste of time in the end because, and I'm not speaking about you, people do not want to take the time to verify information and have honest discussion. Maybe in time I will. Sorry.

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:06 PM »

This is a much better answer than your first one imo, more detail and nuance. In fairness to you I had assumed that you meant something more like this than what you initially said, but responding to what I thought you probably meant bares mixed results. I still think that you are crediting the "first they laugh at you" heuristic with more analytical potential than I would, but to each their own I suppose. If you're still on board for talking though, i'd like to know a bit more about why you believe that this is critical to your process?

Not critical at all, actually. When anyone says something, it is interesting how/who gangs up against what is said. The "how" usually being censoring at first and if they continue saying what they are saying, then banning. Then it is "who" is doing the censoring/banning. What is the censorer/banner trying to say and does not want to be refuted in any way?  Then ultimately, the "what"  is the context of what is being said on either side, should be investigated.

Investigating the "what" is where we find such a lack of thoroughness. It sure seems few will take the time to investigate what anyone on the media or on the internet, is saying anymore. You mention a "heuristic with more analytical potential", I'll be honest, I'm sure we both want to know what is truth and is not truth. If you did not, then you would not be analyzing my posts or any posts on this board and asking so many questions  ;)

IOW were you to drop it from your toolchain do you think you would be worse at distinguishing truth from fiction? Do you see any potential pitfalls to the process you've described and are their any steps that you take in order to avoid them?
Not reading through the resources utilized by fact gatherers or to search out my own, to see (verify) if they are relaying the facts or spinning an agenda? No truth vs fiction could be discerned if investigation is not done. I have no doubt that verifying facts would not be seen as a pitfall by you or anyone. Discussing "evidence" is usually the #1 way to discern truth and definitely a way to arrive at the truth.

would you mind sharing one of your favorite "free speech" platform independant fact gatherers and talk a bit about how you determined that this particular individual was a truth sayer that was rejected from the mainstream because they are truthful?
I've made efforts in the past along this line concerning such a request. Always a waste of time in the end because, and I'm not speaking about you, people do not want to take the time to verify information and have honest discussion. Maybe in time I will. Sorry.

well, okay. I appreciate your time thanks.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2023, 10:57:15 AM »
Telling this story again.. Way back around 1957 maybe 8... I was perteen , in those days a kid could be in a  different part of store. Grocery shopping was my chance to read the words of Elvis' songs! There were magazines, hit parade is the one i remember....Also on the magazine  racks were stories of Hollywood, which is to the point..... Elizabeth Taylor was everywhere. There is a photo of her and one of her husbands getting off a plane. In one photo her beautiful white dress is very low cut for the day, the other photo it was not. I do not trust the media. Right, left, conservative, liberal  they are the same in my eyes. Pushing their agenda.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2023, 12:42:55 PM »
Telling this story again.. Way back around 1957 maybe 8... I was perteen , in those days a kid could be in a  different part of store. Grocery shopping was my chance to read the words of Elvis' songs! There were magazines, hit parade is the one i remember....Also on the magazine  racks were stories of Hollywood, which is to the point..... Elizabeth Taylor was everywhere. There is a photo of her and one of her husbands getting off a plane. In one photo her beautiful white dress is very low cut for the day, the other photo it was not. I do not trust the media. Right, left, conservative, liberal  they are the same in my eyes. Pushing their agenda.

Do you believe that there is something inherently wrong or dishonest about promoting an agenda?

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 01:19:28 PM »

Do you believe that there is something inherently wrong or dishonest about promoting an agenda?
Openly no,  in disguise yes.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 12:41:02 AM »

In the example of the Elizabeth Taylor censored cleavage,  what strategy should the censored magazine have used to inform the reader of the reasons that they augmented the image? or I suppose perhaps it was the cleavage-ful image that was modified, either way, same question.

Do you have a general distrust of other humans because we all have agendas and often don't even realize that we are promoting them? What steps if any do you take in order to inoculate yourself against unconsciously or consciously disguising your agendas? Do you feel that you have reached a level of self awareness and discipline when communicating with other people that your agenda is always plain and clearly communicated, if so at what age do you think you achieved this state? If you have not reached such a state then do you believe that other people should trust you or distrust you?

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 10:52:05 AM »

In the example of the Elizabeth Taylor censored cleavage,  what strategy should the censored magazine have used to inform the reader of the reasons that they augmented the image? or I suppose perhaps it was the cleavage-ful image that was modified, either way, same question.

Do you have a general distrust of other humans because we all have agendas and often don't even realize that we are promoting them? What steps if any do you take in order to inoculate yourself against unconsciously or consciously disguising your agendas? Do you feel that you have reached a level of self awareness and discipline when communicating with other people that your agenda is always plain and clearly communicated, if so at what age do you think you achieved this state? If you have not reached such a state then do you believe that other people should trust you or distrust you?
A young girl notices the media is not honest. Your reply is so leftist.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2023, 05:15:45 PM »

Ad hominem and character assassination is the refuge of those who are terrified of the truth. The mere fact that you are attempting to tar me with the "leftist" brush just proves the veracity of my point and illustrates  everything anyone needs to know about your twisted agenda. Unfortunately you are probably too indoctrinated to realize that by trying to destroy me, you are just following the narrative they created to obfuscate the truth. I actually feel sorry for you, maybe you should pick up a copy of animal farm or 1984 because you're actually being like the mean guys in those books.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2023, 06:50:05 PM »

Ad hominem and character assassination is the refuge of those who are terrified of the truth. The mere fact that you are attempting to tar me with the "leftist" brush just proves the veracity of my point and illustrates  everything anyone needs to know about your twisted agenda. Unfortunately you are probably too indoctrinated to realize that by trying to destroy me, you are just following the narrative they created to obfuscate the truth. I actually feel sorry for you, maybe you should pick up a copy of animal farm or 1984 because you're actually being like the mean guys in those books.
You make me laugh.. I am a simple woman who seems to have hit you in a soft spot. Hope your day is pleasant thanks for the smile.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2023, 07:19:10 PM »

Can you say that in English?  Like you were talking to a 10 year old?
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2023, 02:52:21 AM »

You make me laugh.. I am a simple woman who seems to have hit you in a soft spot. Hope your day is pleasant thanks for the smile.

Yes, you did. Just because you are simple woman doesn't mean that you can't hurt people with your disparaging epithets. However, i'm a  reasonable if complicated man, so I will accept your explanation that you used that derogatory description because in your simplicity you could hardly grasp the magnitude of maligning me as you did. I forgive you and leave you with this to ruminate on:

Proverbs 1:22
How long, you simpletons, will you insist on being simpleminded? How long will you mockers relish your mocking? How long will you fools hate knowledge?

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2023, 03:01:04 AM »

Can you say that in English?  Like you were talking to a 10 year old?

Honestly, there are almost no good reason to put any additional thought into the meaning of what I said. Sometimes people casually say astonishing things and then refuse to elaborate upon them even though they are exactly the kinds of statements that practically demand clarification.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2023, 06:33:13 AM »
I take that as “no.”
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2023, 07:05:06 AM »
I take that as “no.”

Well okay, I don't want to be rude or a hypocrite, I'm sorry for trying to avoid explaining my post.  I'm not sure exactly what you aren't understanding about it though, so do you have questions about specific aspects of my post so that I can better craft my answer, I have a tendency to ramble.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2023, 08:29:37 AM »
I take that as “no.”

Well okay, I don't want to be rude or a hypocrite, I'm sorry for trying to avoid explaining my post.  I'm not sure exactly what you aren't understanding about it though, so do you have questions about specific aspects of my post so that I can better craft my answer, I have a tendency to ramble.

No need to feel sorry. I don't like to be labelled as leftist myself.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris