Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: - A Churchless Christian –  (Read 389 times)

Abednego+2

• View Profile
- A Churchless Christian –
« on: May 28, 2021, 11:58:38 AM »

Psalm 122:1, “I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go into the house of the Lord’”.

Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching”

Nowhere in the Bible does it say we must have our names on a church membership roll to be saved. However, that doesn’t mean that joining with other believers in a local church is not vital to our spiritual growth. Gathering regularly for worship and instruction encourages love for others, good works, and mutual accountability (Hebrews 10:24-25). I read an article some time ago that likened the Christian without a church to:

(1) A student who won’t go to school; (2) A soldier without an army; (3) A citizen who won’t vote; (4) A seaman without a ship; (5) A child without a family; (6) A drummer without a band; (7) A ballplayer without a team; (8 ) A honeybee without a hive; and, (9) A scientist who does not share his findings with his colleagues.

My brethren, if you have been neglecting one of God’s greatest provisions for your spiritual growth, find a church that believes and teaches the whole counsel of God’s Eternal Word and start attending faithfully. Above all, please don’t be a churchless Christian – get involved!

Further thoughts:

Church attendance is a privilege. We recognize that some people cannot attend church because of physical problems or other legitimate reasons. However, those who can be in church should be. The singing of hymns, prayers, fellowship, and teaching God’s Word are just what we need to get us through the week ahead.

The Bible often refers to the church as “the body of Christ” and says that “all the members of that one body, being many, are one body” (1 Corinthians 12:12). Therefore, every person is essential and valuable as part of the whole. By ourselves, we may sometimes feel insignificant, unneeded, and of little value, like so much spare change. However, as individual parts that make up the whole, each of us is needed (1 Corinthians 12:15-22).

It takes many people to make sure that our church worship experience is fruitful, our fellowship as believers is valuable, and our work together as Christians is profitable. We are all unique individuals, but as Christians we are also indispensable parts of the body of Christ within a local church, and of greater value than we can ever know. So, if you are in the category as a “Churchless Christian”, please find a church to attend that preaches and teaches “God’s Precious and Eternal Word”.

Weak excuses keep some people from church week after week.

Buckshot

• Howdy
    • View Profile
Re: - A Churchless Christian –
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 08:23:05 AM »
Great devotion and so true! I love this quote by Theodore Roosevelt “You may worship God anywhere, at any time, but the chances are that you will not do so unless you have first learned to worship Him somewhere in some particular place, at some particular time.”

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »
It's interesting that this is brought up in a time when we were actually prohibited from attending church where I live. Our church closed down for awhile, due to the coronavirus problem. Services were held on-line, but there were no actual gatherings. This is an unusual case, and does not reflect the norm.

We've opened back up, and the masks are coming off (with vaccinations). We have had no coronavirus cases, but one member has a daughter who hasn't been attending, and just contracted it.

But I agree that church fellowship should be the norm, and is necessary, in most cases, for a healthy spiritual life. Those who don't go tend to  be irreligious or bitter. The point is to learn to get along, to learn to submit, and to learn to discern. Many churches present many diverse views, and it probably shouldn't be as fragmented as it is. Part of the problem is, I think, that people want to "shop" for a church.

But real Christians, in relating to each other, can ultimately come to a consensus, and live healthy, spiritual lives. To run from church to church is not good for the church that is abandoned, and not good for the church that is left for. And it certainly isn't good for the person.

The problem is we look for perfection when we should expect that we all have a Sin Nature until we die. We need to learn to expect this and deal with this by learning and teaching to overcome--not find a cure for sin.

The answer is to improve things, and not hope to eradicate the problems of sin. We can live holy lives even if they're imperfect.

I've spent my entire life in church. I still find I need it to keep spiritually polished, and running properly with the right attitude. Get rid of bitterness, and replace it with Christ's love. You can't help all churches, but get into one that both helps you and you can help!

Abednego+2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
I like that quote Buckshot.

Abednego+2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 06:21:12 PM »
RandyPNW - I agree with you 100%. Very good comments. We have finally opened up also. I certainly agree when you said, "To run from church to church is not good for the church that is abandoned, and not good for the church that is left for. And it certainly isn't good for the person. However, during my 20+ years in the Navy, we moved about 6 times. The Lord was faithful and always led us to a sound church where we could worship our Lord and to grow spiritually in Him. It was also very important to have fellowship with brother and sisters in the Lord. May the Lord bless and keep you safe and in His care.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris