Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: In Jesus name, Amen  (Read 132 times)

ProDeo

• View Profile
In Jesus name, Amen
« on: September 12, 2024, 04:55:59 AM »
In Jesus name, Amen.

I hear that a lot since I am going to Church again, it's something that is so automatic.

And instinctively I avoid that, it's like speaking on behalf of Jesus using His authority, who am I to do that? But I never studied the Scriptures, I will give it a try now. John chapters 14-16, the crucial verses.

Context, the Lord is speaking to the twelve whom He has chosen, not me.

Joh 14:13  Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Joh 14:14  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

Joh 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

Joh 16:23  In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.
Joh 16:24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

Joh 16:26 In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf;
Joh 16:27  for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.

Meaning that a more precise prayer would be : we ask you this Father in the name of Jesus, Amen.

:-\

And following 15:16 the word may suggest it's still up to the Father to judge the prayer.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
Re: In Jesus name, Amen
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 09:51:26 PM »

I'll begin with your first scriptures. John 14:13, the words, "in," "my (or "the")," "name."

in1722 en (a preposition) – properly, in (inside, within); (figuratively) "in the realm (sphere) of," as in the condition (state) in which something operates from the inside (within).

the
the definite article.

name
3686 ónoma – name; (figuratively) the manifestation or revelation of someone's character, i.e. as distinguishing them from all others. Thus "praying in the name of Christ" means to pray as directed (authorized) by Him, bringing revelation that flows out of being in His presence. "Praying in Jesus' name" therefore is not a "religious formula" just to end prayers (or get what we want)!

["According to Hebrew notions, a name is inseparable from the person to whom it belongs, i.e. it is something of his essence. Therefore, in the case of the God, it is specially sacred" (Souter).]

Helps Word Studies: Copyright © 2021 by Discovery Bible.

Do you consider that to pray "in my (or the) name, is a command to the Apostles? If so, do you also consider Jesus giving the Great Commission to the Apostles is "only" for them as well? I ask because a key concerning the Great Commission is that the Apostles are to disciple/teach Christians in,

Matthew 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 03:59:40 AM »

I'll begin with your first scriptures. John 14:13, the words, "in," "my (or "the")," "name."

in1722 en (a preposition) – properly, in (inside, within); (figuratively) "in the realm (sphere) of," as in the condition (state) in which something operates from the inside (within).

the
the definite article.

name
3686 ónoma – name; (figuratively) the manifestation or revelation of someone's character, i.e. as distinguishing them from all others. Thus "praying in the name of Christ" means to pray as directed (authorized) by Him, bringing revelation that flows out of being in His presence. "Praying in Jesus' name" therefore is not a "religious formula" just to end prayers (or get what we want)!

["According to Hebrew notions, a name is inseparable from the person to whom it belongs, i.e. it is something of his essence. Therefore, in the case of the God, it is specially sacred" (Souter).]

Helps Word Studies: Copyright © 2021 by Discovery Bible.

Do you consider that to pray "in my (or the) name, is a command to the Apostles? If so, do you also consider Jesus giving the Great Commission to the Apostles is "only" for them as well? I ask because a key concerning the Great Commission is that the Apostles are to disciple/teach Christians in,

Matthew 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

The Great Commission is about doing what Jesus said, ASKING something in the name of Jesus I think is a different subject, Jesus even said anything you ask and I will do it.

In the OP I put a confused smiley, meaning I am not sure. I actually don't know how many times I mindlessly (because many did) ended my prayers with "In Jesus name, Amen", but now the subject has my attention.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 10:23:44 AM »
The cliche “in Jesus’ name” has been the foolish Christian cultural equivalent of “abracadabra.”

The phrase “in Jesus’name” means “ by the authority of the person of Jesus.”

So 99% percent of prayers fall flat because Jesus is not in support of the foolish request

See James 1
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 11:02:42 AM »
The cliche “in Jesus’ name” has been the foolish Christian cultural equivalent of “abracadabra.”

So 99% percent of prayers fall flat because Jesus is not in support of the foolish request

See James 1

So true. The lack of discipleship is prevalent in the "me, me, me" club.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024, 11:13:51 AM »

The Great Commission is about doing what Jesus said, ASKING something in the name of Jesus I think is a different subject, Jesus even said anything you ask and I will do it.

In the OP I put a confused smiley, meaning I am not sure. I actually don't know how many times I mindlessly (because many did) ended my prayers with "In Jesus name, Amen", but now the subject has my attention.

Well, in response to your post here, the point of my previous post is Jesus did tell the Apostles what to do, how to "ask" faithfully. But as a member of the Body of Christ, "we" are to do (be taught) the same as the Apostles, as pointed out in the meaning of v20 of Matthew 28. The use of "in my name" is not only for them but for you, me, all in the Body.

It's always a heart issue. However, not whats in my, yours or anyone's heart but what is in God's will. When God's will fills our heart and we are expressing prayerfully in the authority of Christ's name, God is moved and mighty work and even miracles happen.
But out there in Christianity Land, many aren't discipled and thus, many pursue their whats and have no understanding of God's will. Thus, the use of the words, "In Jesus' Name" is only that, words.
--Slug1-out

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2024, 03:18:27 AM »

See James 1

Exactly what I meant in the OP, asking something in the name of Jesus as stipulated by the Lord in John 14-16 supernatural power is transferred to the person who is speaking. As far as I know the first example is found in Acts 3 -

Hand 3:6 But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!”
Hand 3:7 And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong.
Hand 3:8 And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God.

Whatever is asked in the name of Jesus means is granted from above and what is asked happens.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by Oscar_Kipling
Today at 03:30:05 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 09:29:05 PM

In Jesus name, Amen by ProDeo
September 14, 2024, 03:18:27 AM

Is free will a failed concept? by Athanasius
August 26, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Was the Father's will always subordinate to the Son's will? by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM

Faith and peace by CrimsonTide21