Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Watcha doing?  (Read 5015 times)

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Watcha doing?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 10:32:38 AM »
Okay, final phase of moving to Bay Area, Cal.  Contractor tools are now history.  Utility trailer, chainsaws & firewood equipment to brother in law. Cargo trailer to nephew. Readying final trip. Moving: an ordeal.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 04:05:25 PM »
I received my Cefaly migraine treatment device from the VA today, and I'm trying it out now. It's a TENS type device that attaches to the forehead and stimulates the trigeminal nerve. You can set it to treat an active migraine or else to prevent one, which I'm using now. I've tried several different types of injections and half a dozen medications over the years, but only had moderate success. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with this treatment. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 04:33:33 PM by Sojourner »
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 05:43:53 PM »
Hope and prayers in this.

tango

• Well that didn't go as planned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:02 PM »
My legs still don't like me much but I went for a moderately gentle run this morning anyway. Hoping to do a long gentle run tomorrow.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2024, 10:38:55 PM »
My legs still don't like me much but I went for a moderately gentle run this morning anyway. Hoping to do a long gentle run tomorrow.

In reading this post, I have to laugh. Earlier tonight, during prayer, I mentioned to God for the wisdom to not overdue my bike riding once the temps reach 45+ degrees. At my age, I know the ligaments and tendons need to get used to the mileage before I begin pushing out beyond 10 miles.

I miss the days when a 25 mile ride on a bicycle was a, "nice" ride.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2024, 10:17:35 AM »

In reading this post, I have to laugh. Earlier tonight, during prayer, I mentioned to God for the wisdom to not overdue my bike riding once the temps reach 45+ degrees. At my age, I know the ligaments and tendons need to get used to the mileage before I begin pushing out beyond 10 miles.

I miss the days when a 25 mile ride on a bicycle was a, "nice" ride.

When I lived in flatter areas 25 miles was the kind of ride it barely felt worth getting the bike out for. Where I live now it's very hilly and I haven't ridden my bike at all in years. Seeing people driving around paying almost no attention to their surroundings doesn't fill me with much confidence either.

It's the usual thing about easing back into something after taking a break. I'd rather not be taking a break but when there's snow and ice everywhere I don't feel like running in it, and a gym membership is only so much use because when it's icy I won't necessarily feel like driving to get to the gym. I fall somewhere in the middle of the gym options - I want to go often enough that a day pass isn't a good way to do it, but not often enough that a monthly membership is worth it.

Cloudwalker

• The one and only, genuine, original Cloudwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2024, 10:45:08 AM »
If someone ever sees me running please catch whoever is chasing me. ;D
May God bless you as you seek to do God's will

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2024, 04:30:35 PM »
I got my long gentle run in this morning. It was reasonably gentle, my goal was to keep my heart rate within an easyish band and for the most part I stayed in or close to the band. Going up steady hills invariably pushes me a bit over, and then it takes a little while to get back into my target zone.

Later this afternoon I need to write some code for a project I'm working on.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2024, 04:39:01 PM »
It's the usual thing about easing back into something after taking a break. I'd rather not be taking a break but when there's snow and ice everywhere I don't feel like running in it, and a gym membership is only so much use because when it's icy I won't necessarily feel like driving to get to the gym. I fall somewhere in the middle of the gym options - I want to go often enough that a day pass isn't a good way to do it, but not often enough that a monthly membership is worth it.

Even though I'm pushing 70, I try to make myself get some kind of regular exercise. I had purchased a Planet Fitness membership a few years ago, but rarely used it, so I canceled it. About a year ago, I started acquiring a collection of weights which is now complete, and do strength training at home 3 days a week. I need to do some cardio, but I get out of breath so easily--even a brisk walk gets me wheezing. (I have an aortic valve replacement with 10 years of wear and tear on it). Anyway, I push myself to do the best I can.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2024, 05:27:44 PM »

Even though I'm pushing 70, I try to make myself get some kind of regular exercise. I had purchased a Planet Fitness membership a few years ago, but rarely used it, so I canceled it. About a year ago, I started acquiring a collection of weights which is now complete, and do strength training at home 3 days a week. I need to do some cardio, but I get out of breath so easily--even a brisk walk gets me wheezing. (I have an aortic valve replacement with 10 years of wear and tear on it). Anyway, I push myself to do the best I can.

I started out with regular walking and then starting jogging parts of it, then jogging more parts and longer parts, and went from there. When I look at the stats from my runs these days and compare them to my runs from 2-3 years ago the differences are encouraging - I'm clocking a faster pace with less impact on my heart rate, and if I push my heart rate hard I'm clocking much faster paces.

Sadly once you're older than maybe 40-45 time isn't your friend and you have to fight to preserve fitness.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:51:59 PM by tango »

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2024, 07:17:26 PM »
Got a real haircut today, Lol.  For the past two years I've just been lopping off 4-5 inches about every 8 months or so :o
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Cloudwalker

• The one and only, genuine, original Cloudwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2024, 10:48:10 AM »
These days I get a haircut once a year in December.  I have it cut to make look more like Santa
May God bless you as you seek to do God's will

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2024, 01:42:30 PM »
Someone observed recently that the achievements of the software industry over the last 30 years have been astonishing. They've managed to entirely negate several orders of magnitude of performance improvements provided by the hardware industry.

"I bought the whole CPU and I'm going to use the whole CPU".

"Unused RAM is wasted RAM".

Etc.

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2024, 03:41:32 PM »
Someone observed recently that the achievements of the software industry over the last 30 years have been astonishing. They've managed to entirely negate several orders of magnitude of performance improvements provided by the hardware industry.

"I bought the whole CPU and I'm going to use the whole CPU".

"Unused RAM is wasted RAM".

Etc.

It doesn't feel like such a big gap between a certain Mr William Gates being quoted as saying "640k (of RAM) should be enough for anyone" and now needing 4GB of RAM just to look at the pretty desktop.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2024, 12:10:40 PM »
It doesn't feel like such a big gap between a certain Mr William Gates being quoted as saying "640k (of RAM) should be enough for anyone" and now needing 4GB of RAM just to look at the pretty desktop.
I remember creating a custom boot disk just to free up more RAM for gaming purposes. Ah, the memories.

Recent Topics

who is this man? by RabbiKnife
April 27, 2024, 07:49:55 PM

Watcha doing? by ProDeo
April 27, 2024, 05:32:27 AM

Bibleforums.NET by The Parson
April 25, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

Lemme see if I have this right by ProDeo
April 22, 2024, 02:13:03 PM

How Do I Know God Exists? by Cloudwalker
April 20, 2024, 05:47:40 PM

The Battle For The Mind by Oscar_Kipling