Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: "What the media get wrong is..."  (Read 9374 times)

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Re: "What the media get wrong is..."
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »
Sincere apologies Fenris. I was convinced all this time that your name had a double 'r' in it.

I wear progressive glasses and I have not had my eyes tested for a few years. As a result, it's now getting harder to read the text on a standard monitor.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2023, 01:36:18 PM »
I try to avoid anything that is progressive…

Oh…
Wait

Context is king!!!!

🤓
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2023, 01:38:51 PM »
I try to avoid anything that is progressive…

Oh…
Wait

Context is king!!!!

🤓
Still talking about Elvis?

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2023, 03:00:14 PM »
Let's sum up the conflict:

There are two sides.

You have Hamas, who wants to murder Jews.

And you have the Jews, who don't want to be murdered.

And neither side is willing to compromise.

This is why it's difficult to comprehend so many siding with Hamas against Israel. I'm baffled by the inner workings of the liberal/progressive mind.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Kingfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2023, 03:23:54 PM »

There are two sides.

This is why it's difficult to comprehend so many siding with Hamas against Israel. I'm baffled by the inner workings of the liberal/progressive mind.
Exactly, Hamas intentionally targeted a festival and homes close to the border. They did this to kill and abduct civilians quickly before armed IDF forces arrive. That's not even debatable. 
Go Fish

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2023, 04:34:35 PM »

There are two sides.

Carnal minds/hearts side with evil. Evil has become good, good has become evil in their hearts.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2023, 06:29:53 PM »
"There are none so blind as they who refuse to see." When the moral compass is broken, judgment is clouded and perception becomes skewed. And there are consequences.

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who turn darkness to light and light to darkness, who replace bitter with sweet and sweet with bitter. (Isaiah 5:20)

Acquitting the guilty and condemning the righteous--both are detestable to the LORD. (Proverbs 17:5)

Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body is full of darkness. Be careful, then, that the light within you is not darkness. (Luke 11:34-35)
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2023, 09:44:48 AM »
Does anyone think that some of the impetus to lie spin, exaggerate or minimize in the media comes from our tendency to demand that things like wars on terror be talked about as wars between good and true evil or as the result of the abject oppression and cruelty of insatiable colonialist appetites? Is dry dispassionate analysis really what an enterprising capitalist would-be media mogul extract from this thread as a means of exploiting the desires demonstrated here or anywhere really? I could pick my battles better certainly, but do we really feel like what us on display here is an overwhelming demand for detached honesty? take it how you will, but its a real question of anyone who wants to look at themselves, and say whether or not they feel their is an incongruity between the complaint of the media's narrative curation and 24 hour firehosing approach and what we actually want with our actions. I of course could be wrong, and i'm happy for anyone to tell me as much, but everywhere I look (not just here everywhere) I genuinely see folks asking for one thing on one level but giving every signifier that they want the other thing. This is only bolstered imo by the overwhelming success of the abhored thing and the steady depreciation of the celebrated. How do you explain that? Is it just the spiritual entropy I'm always hearing about, a march toward the inevitable despite what huge swaths of the populous claim to detest? Is it all just the other guys that are responsible, and the apparent duplication that I see on every kind of forum and platform I lurk on just a sort of illusion conjured by my biases and crappy personality? Am I actually as alone in feeling personally responsible for this quagmire as I feel? Do you not feel responsible? is that an offensive question? i

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2023, 10:21:33 AM »
Does anyone think that some of the impetus to lie spin, exaggerate or minimize in the media comes from our tendency to demand that things like wars on terror be talked about as wars between good and true evil or as the result of the abject oppression and cruelty of insatiable colonialist appetites? Is dry dispassionate analysis really what an enterprising capitalist would-be media mogul extract from this thread as a means of exploiting the desires demonstrated here or anywhere really? I could pick my battles better certainly, but do we really feel like what us on display here is an overwhelming demand for detached honesty? take it how you will, but its a real question of anyone who wants to look at themselves, and say whether or not they feel their is an incongruity between the complaint of the media's narrative curation and 24 hour firehosing approach and what we actually want with our actions. I of course could be wrong, and i'm happy for anyone to tell me as much, but everywhere I look (not just here everywhere) I genuinely see folks asking for one thing on one level but giving every signifier that they want the other thing. This is only bolstered imo by the overwhelming success of the abhored thing and the steady depreciation of the celebrated. How do you explain that? Is it just the spiritual entropy I'm always hearing about, a march toward the inevitable despite what huge swaths of the populous claim to detest? Is it all just the other guys that are responsible, and the apparent duplication that I see on every kind of forum and platform I lurk on just a sort of illusion conjured by my biases and crappy personality? Am I actually as alone in feeling personally responsible for this quagmire as I feel? Do you not feel responsible? is that an offensive question? i

Can ya boil this down to "a" question, so focus can remain on "a" line of thought?
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »

Can ya boil this down to "a" question, so focus can remain on "a" line of thought?

haha, I'm anything but concise, but I also do not believe that every idea can be trimmed down to an easily digestible bite...I think more is being demanded of us and we aren't answering the call to rise to the occasion. I think it would be good to ask, does our prioritization of laconic wit and wisdom over perceived elitist scrupulous detail just turn our media into a machine that feeds us just that?

TLDR: Do you honestly believe that you aren't contributing to and molding the media landscape into the very thing that you (we all) object to by doing things like framing wars as righteous battles between good and evil when what they actually are is something much more complicated and much less unambiguously heroic? (I honestly did my best)

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2023, 12:14:46 PM »
It is a good thing we all can still have different views of most everything.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2023, 03:05:47 PM »

haha, I'm anything but concise, but I also do not believe that every idea can be trimmed down to an easily digestible bite...I think more is being demanded of us and we aren't answering the call to rise to the occasion. I think it would be good to ask, does our prioritization of laconic wit and wisdom over perceived elitist scrupulous detail just turn our media into a machine that feeds us just that?

TLDR: Do you honestly believe that you aren't contributing to and molding the media landscape into the very thing that you (we all) object to by doing things like framing wars as righteous battles between good and evil when what they actually are is something much more complicated and much less unambiguously heroic? (I honestly did my best)

The biggest problem with any media is they are saying so much, the truth can't be found anymore in all their words.

If they simply stated the facts and let the listener determine the truth, we'd find truth in media.
--Slug1-out

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2023, 04:36:41 PM »

The biggest problem with any media is they are saying so much, the truth can't be found anymore in all their words.

If they simply stated the facts and let the listener determine the truth, we'd find truth in media.

Okay, yes, but do you think the media is like that entirely due to forces and people outside of and dissimilar to yourself, or do you see anything within yourself that contributes to this objectionable state? Does war cast as an-epic-struggle-between-good-&-evil-otherwise-the-terrorists-win promote a dispassionate accounting of the facts or does it apply pressure to the media to conform to this notion, truth be damned as it were?

I gather from your partial accounting of when and where you served that you were active duty during 911. Our current media/tech landscape was already pupating and 911 gave it all the nourishment that it needed, or gave us permission to feed it. This is a simplification of course, but while it makes sense to me to blame bad guys for doing bad stuff like 911's and such, I feel responsible for how I reacted to it, and how I let it mold me and how I went on to mold the world around me in my infinitesimal but not quite inconsequential way. I cannot help but feel that we didn't get here without us all contributing in our own way, and we certainly don't get out without working much harder and more deliberately than we did to get into it because we are working to turn tides that started long before us. idk man, I suspect you are proud of your service, I'm proud that I served, I'd do it again in a heartbeat if for some reason my country was desperate enough to need my not-so-young-anymore back to carry some load, but do you ever feel like perhaps the entire enterprise lacks some meaningful nuance that wouldn't have actually served us all a little better given the consequences?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 04:39:46 PM by Oscar_Kipling »

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »
It is a good thing we all can still have different views of most everything.
Yes Rebecca, I agree, that is a very good thing.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2023, 07:44:40 PM »

Okay, yes, but do you think the media is like that entirely due to forces and people outside of and dissimilar to yourself, or do you see anything within yourself that contributes to this objectionable state? Does war cast as an-epic-struggle-between-good-&-evil-otherwise-the-terrorists-win promote a dispassionate accounting of the facts or does it apply pressure to the media to conform to this notion, truth be damned as it were?

I gather from your partial accounting of when and where you served that you were active duty during 911. Our current media/tech landscape was already pupating and 911 gave it all the nourishment that it needed, or gave us permission to feed it. This is a simplification of course, but while it makes sense to me to blame bad guys for doing bad stuff like 911's and such, I feel responsible for how I reacted to it, and how I let it mold me and how I went on to mold the world around me in my infinitesimal but not quite inconsequential way. I cannot help but feel that we didn't get here without us all contributing in our own way, and we certainly don't get out without working much harder and more deliberately than we did to get into it because we are working to turn tides that started long before us. idk man, I suspect you are proud of your service, I'm proud that I served, I'd do it again in a heartbeat if for some reason my country was desperate enough to need my not-so-young-anymore back to carry some load, but do you ever feel like perhaps the entire enterprise lacks some meaningful nuance that wouldn't have actually served us all a little better given the consequences?

Politics, woke/liberal/progressive ideology, they all hinder a purpose of Government as detailed in Scripture, here is the purpose that is hindered:

Romans 13: 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

As I've been stating, evil is now good and good is now evil.

Anyway, concerning purpose for war as you seem to raise, I'll give you an example. For Iraqi Freedom, I went into combat back in 2004 the rules of engagement were simple, see enemy = kill them. We didn't even let enemy get first rounds off as much as possible. My men were very alert and as such, were "hard" targets. I spent the first few months in Fallujah, then Ar-Ramadi. As rules of engagement changed, the ability for enemy to get off first shots grew greater and greater because our freedom to "execute wrath" upon evil doers was hindered more and more. We began to loose the war from that point on.

How is war won, don't hinder the trigger pullers, the ones actually executing wrath. Let them do their purpose and the wolf will not afflict the innocent.

Today, we have ideological agendas pushed upon our youth and the result? Indoctrinated that are supporting the very wolves that American patriots are hindered from killing. They (the indoctrinated) support what is evil and while they number a few, say 10% of American citizens (not even counting illegals) , they get 98% of the media's support. The 90% who support what is good and want to do good, they get the remaining 2% of media's support.

Yeah, there are consequences, the destruction first of what is "a" family and next, once true nuclear families are destroyed, the country will soon follow in it's destruction.

--Slug1-out

Recent Topics

The New Political Ethos by ProDeo
June 13, 2024, 03:27:40 AM

Is the US its own worst enemy? by Sojourner
June 11, 2024, 11:58:28 AM

Watcha doing? by tango
June 06, 2024, 11:04:50 PM

Telling people about offerings by tango
June 06, 2024, 10:57:09 PM

Matthew 24 - carefully analyzed. by Kfawn
June 06, 2024, 09:32:53 PM

The Rejection of Rejection by ProDeo