Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?  (Read 11139 times)

Rebecca

• View Profile
Re: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2023, 01:56:58 PM »

Yes, unfortunately many people do take advantage of free speech to express their bigotry. As a free speech absolutist myself, I grant that they certainly have that right.
On this point we totally agree  :)

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2023, 02:03:36 PM »
I think some people who are free speech absolutists conflate this with an attack on free speech. Which I find baffling, because no one is talking about criminalizing speech. It the intent of an already criminal act that's the subject here.

Well, yes, a popular formulation of the argument is festooned in free speech dressing. I'd argue that you find it plainly obvious that the argument has nothing to do with free speech because the argument actually has nothing to do with free speech.

Yes, unfortunately many people do take advantage of free speech to express their bigotry. As a free speech absolutist myself, I grant that they certainly have that right.

Of course we all have the right, only a <insert monster here> would disagree with that. This imo has to have made some contribution into why it has grown the legs that it has. Protecting free speech is not the point, it's merely the delivery mechanism. Maybe that sounds paranoid, but no one can ever accuse me of not wasting huge amounts of my time paying attention to what people that I disagree with are saying, and how they are choosing to say it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2023, 02:48:18 PM »
Well, yes, a popular formulation of the argument is festooned in free speech dressing. I'd argue that you find it plainly obvious that the argument has nothing to do with free speech because the argument actually has nothing to do with free speech.
Correct.

Of course we all have the right, only a <insert monster here> would disagree with that. This imo has to have made some contribution into why it has grown the legs that it has. Protecting free speech is not the point, it's merely the delivery mechanism.
Also correct.
Maybe that sounds paranoid, but no one can ever accuse me of not wasting huge amounts of my time paying attention to what people that I disagree with are saying, and how they are choosing to say it.
I too pay attention to those who speak badly, particularly about a certain religious minority. It's the same things they've been saying for millennia, but it always bears noting.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
I too pay attention to those who speak badly, particularly about a certain religious minority. It's the same things they've been saying for millennia, but it always bears noting.

Ain't that the truth, you'd think after all this time they would do something other than remix the same tunes. anyway, good talk. See you around.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2023, 04:46:51 PM »
anyway, good talk. See you around.
Same. Carry on.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2023, 01:24:36 PM »
"A very large portion of my party really doesn't believe in the Constitution,” Mitt Romney told writer McKay Coppins as part of his forthcoming biography.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2023, 03:19:04 PM »
I’m shocked.  Shocked, I say.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2023, 10:37:38 AM »
"A very large portion of my party really doesn't believe in the Constitution,” Mitt Romney told writer McKay Coppins as part of his forthcoming biography.
This is Mitt Romney after all, so we need context. Is he talking about the 1st Amendment or the 14th?

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
This is Mitt Romney after all, so we need context. Is he talking about the 1st Amendment or the 14th?

A statement made during the aftermath of Jan 6:.

Mr. Romney come to a demoralizing conclusion a few months after the Jan. 6 attack. “A very large portion of my party really doesn’t believe in the Constitution,” he said.

Jan 6 and subsequent GOP reaction was the context.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 11:16:01 PM by IMINXTC »

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2023, 11:13:31 AM »

Mr. Romney come to a demoralizing conclusion a few months after the Jan. 6 attack. “A very large portion of my party really doesn’t believe in the Constitution,” he said.

Well, that's why he's the Democrat's favorite Republican. He enjoys attacking his own party. Plenty of Democrats don't respect the Constitution, I'm waiting for him to call them out on it.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2023, 01:03:02 PM »

I am watching the series Shadowland, hard to watch, only 1 episode a day, it seems Mr. Romney is right.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2023, 05:39:38 PM »

I am watching the series Shadowland, hard to watch, only 1 episode a day, it seems Mr. Romney is right.

I hadn't heard about Shadowland until you posted it, I Just watched the first three episodes...you are right, I do not recommend more than 1 per sitting. Anyway thanks for bringing it to my attention.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2023, 03:12:41 AM »

I hadn't heard about Shadowland until you posted it, I Just watched the first three episodes...you are right, I do not recommend more than 1 per sitting. Anyway thanks for bringing it to my attention.

It's not any different here only on a much smaller (95%) scale, USA ~340M citizens, Netherlands ~17M.

We witnessed the leader of the then biggest political party fall into conspiracies, 9/11 inside job, no moon landing, world ruled by serpents disguised as a human, climate change is nonsense, covid is nonsense, Putin is a nice guy. Apparently intelligence is not a safe guard. What me wonder, what is it that one person is more receptive for conspiracies than the other. What do they have in common? And I don't mean those who made a living from spreading conspiracies, but the victims.

It's probably a mix of things, the reporters made some good points.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2023, 11:23:47 PM »

Well, that's why he's the Democrat's favorite Republican. He enjoys attacking his own party. Plenty of Democrats don't respect the Constitution, I'm waiting for him to call them out on it.

Yes, not respecting the constitution is one thing but Romney was addressing the strong allegations of a conspiracy to overthrow the election, thus, to overthrow the constitution.
If the allegations are proven true, we have concerted treason. Where, I ask, is the GOP outcry against this blatant usurpation of our constitution, and the rebuke of it's ringleaders?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 11:27:46 PM by IMINXTC »

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2023, 05:13:12 AM »
What me wonder, what is it that one person is more receptive for conspiracies than the other.

Reply to self, because I once to my own disgust fell into a conspiracy myself. There was this day when I saw the murdering of ~2000 people live on my television when the towers fell. The days after television remained on till late in the morning watching everything in bewilderment. No conspiracy thoughts then.

A few months later the New York Times on the front-page peaked in a big font size : Bush Knew accusing the administration of an inside job. I could not ignore that.

And so I dived into the alternative media, reading, reading and reading and came to the conclusion the NYT was right. Long story short, it took me 6-9 months to wade and see through the monstrous volume of data, false so called facts, deliberate lies and came back to my senses.

The moral, so in my case all that was needed was a big shocking event + a message from a MSM paper which I normally trust (certainly with this kind of mind blowing content) to turn me into an idiot.

Now life is full of shocking events, covid was a big one, but so can be big disappointments experiences in the widest sense of the word and can make people vulnerable for alternatives that proclaim truth, friendship.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 05:17:01 AM by ProDeo »

Recent Topics

Thankful by Sojourner
Today at 06:46:33 PM

I Knew Him-Joseph by Cloudwalker
Today at 01:57:39 PM

Church Abuse/ Rebuke by tango
Today at 09:34:39 AM

Riddle by RabbiKnife
Today at 08:04:58 AM

just wanted to say by ProDeo
Today at 04:53:45 AM