Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Martin Luther King  (Read 3960 times)

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
Martin Luther King
« on: July 23, 2022, 03:15:26 PM »
Anybody feel anything is unusual about how Martin Luther King is being discussed in conservative circles, just me?

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Luther King
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 04:05:38 AM »
For those of us outwith the US, what's up with talk of MLK?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
Must be just you.

Haven’t heard anyone have a serious conversation about MLK or his complicated life in years

The post-King black politicians and civil rights advocates wouldn’t know MLK is he walked up and kissed them.  Civil rights in the US has been reduced to pandering, race baiting, race pumping, and using race for political fundraising
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 10:55:00 AM »

I mean if you haven't noticed anything then perhaps nothing is happening, I haven't done any in-depth investigation just over the years i feel like my understanding of King and the version being put forth increasingly seem to be pretty drastically different.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 11:02:49 AM »
Must be just you.

Haven’t heard anyone have a serious conversation about MLK or his complicated life in years

honestly me either that is a part of my unease. I feel selected ideas from I have a dream is the extent of MLK's legacy to some , many maybe idk.

The post-King black politicians and civil rights advocates wouldn’t know MLK is he walked up and kissed them.  Civil rights in the US has been reduced to pandering, race baiting, race pumping, and using race for political fundraising

That's a pretty broad brush, not a single black politician or civil rights advocate has a deep and nuanced familiarity with MLK?  Are non-black politicians and civil rights advocates doing a better job of understanding MLK? So, what was MLK about and how are all black people that are active in politics or civil rights advocacy getting it wrong?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 12:03:47 PM »
Must be just you.

Same.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 04:45:32 PM »

I mean if you haven't noticed anything then perhaps nothing is happening, I haven't done any in-depth investigation just over the years i feel like my understanding of King and the version being put forth increasingly seem to be pretty drastically different.

To be honest, a lot of my awareness and energy at the moment is directed towards defending myself from the claim that I'm (1) Satanically deceived, (2) being led astray by the world, (3) violating the order and designs of God, (4) ignoring the true meaning of Scripture to justify myself, (5) engaged in lgbtq+ activism, (6) other stuff.

I don't really have time for the Left/Right US political shell game. Sociologically speaking the country seems screwed and just doesn't want to admit just how screwed it is.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 05:04:14 PM »
I don't really have time for the Left/Right US political shell game. Sociologically speaking the country seems screwed and just doesn't want to admit just how screwed it is.
Politics has become too personal and people are not willing to agree to disagree. Having said that, the US seems to have more of an actual choice between candidates than most other countries, especially compared to countries in Europe.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 12:24:05 AM »

To be honest, a lot of my awareness and energy at the moment is directed towards defending myself from the claim that I'm (1) Satanically deceived, (2) being led astray by the world, (3) violating the order and designs of God, (4) ignoring the true meaning of Scripture to justify myself, (5) engaged in lgbtq+ activism, (6) other stuff.

well, I'm sorry to hear that, if it is any consolation I obviously don't have any of those issues with you, and If you'd rather talk about cosmology as it relates to noah's ark or AI's or whatever instead of 1-6 i'm here and unlikely to attack you on those points because I have no respect for them really.

I feel like all we do is point out how screwed we are these days, we used to be better versus we could be better, very few insist we're fine.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 07:43:26 AM »
Must be just you.

honestly me either that is a part of my unease. I feel selected ideas from I have a dream is the extent of MLK's legacy to some , many maybe idk.

That's a pretty broad brush, not a single black politician or civil rights advocate has a deep and nuanced familiarity with MLK?  Are non-black politicians and civil rights advocates doing a better job of understanding MLK? So, what was MLK about and how are all black people that are active in politics or civil rights advocacy getting it wrong?

There have been historically a few conservatives that have done a fair interpretation of both the good and the bad if MLK and his extended record on civil rights, not just the “I have a dream” speech.

MLK was more nuanced than many of his followers and had he lived either race relations in the US would be different of his followers would have continued toward the left as they have done since his death.

There have been a number of folks — the late Walter Williams, Justice Thomas , condaleeza Rice, current Rep Ben Owens, Armstrong Williams, etc etc who have addressed the issues in the black US population from a historical/cultural/economic perspective while rejecting the socio-political narrative that has controlled the race narrative as promulgated by MLKs successors most of whole are race pumps.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 08:39:12 AM »
Must be just you.

There have been historically a few conservatives that have done a fair interpretation of both the good and the bad if MLK and his extended record on civil rights, not just the “I have a dream” speech.

MLK was more nuanced than many of his followers and had he lived either race relations in the US would be different of his followers would have continued toward the left as they have done since his death.

There have been a number of folks — the late Walter Williams, Justice Thomas , condaleeza Rice, current Rep Ben Owens, Armstrong Williams, etc etc who have addressed the issues in the black US population from a historical/cultural/economic perspective while rejecting the socio-political narrative that has controlled the race narrative as promulgated by MLKs successors most of whole are race pumps.

I don't know what a race pump is, what is that?

I have to ask again, simply because your initial post specified black politicians and civil rights advocates in particular, Are non-black politicians and civil rights advocates doing a better job of understanding MLK and I guess more generally issues in the black american community?

You named several conservative black american luminaries and spoke generally about how they have correctly addressed black American issues, however I really would like to understand more clearly exactly how their positions represent the legacy of MLK...So if you could go into more detail about that, perhaps provide some examples so that I can have a better understanding of how it is that they represent and promote the true legacy of MLK.

Likewise you assert that there is a socio-political narrative that has controlled the race narrative as promulgated by MLKs successors, Could you go into a bit more detail about this socio-political narrative so that I may better understand and have a foundation to compare the correct and incorrect context to understand black american issues as you understand them in relation to the legacy of MLK?

I feel that this could be a very enlightening discussion and I appreciate your responses and openness.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 08:45:26 AM »
Politics has become too personal and people are not willing to agree to disagree. Having said that, the US seems to have more of an actual choice between candidates than most other countries, especially compared to countries in Europe.

Come on now, the UK absolutely gets to pick its Prime Minister and... well I mean there was May, and then Boris, and now we'll be stuck with Sunak so maybe not...

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 09:09:55 AM »

well, I'm sorry to hear that, if it is any consolation I obviously don't have any of those issues with you, and If you'd rather talk about cosmology as it relates to noah's ark or AI's or whatever instead of 1-6 i'm here and unlikely to attack you on those points because I have no respect for them really.

I feel like all we do is point out how screwed we are these days, we used to be better versus we could be better, very few insist we're fine.

Yeah but you see I've joined your ranks as a nasty sinner. :) I think what it is a sign of, is just how bad things of gotten - that people assume these things about me - while they think it's everything around them that's bad, not them. It's like the 'double think' of season 2 of GiTS SAC_2045. Except in this case, they think they believe one thing, but live another, and aren't aware of the difference.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 09:42:19 AM »

Yeah but you see I've joined your ranks as a nasty sinner. :) I think what it is a sign of, is just how bad things of gotten - that people assume these things about me - while they think it's everything around them that's bad, not them. It's like the 'double think' of season 2 of GiTS SAC_2045. Except in this case, they think they believe one thing, but live another, and aren't aware of the difference.

I don't know that it has ever seemed to be different from my perspective, I mean among other things pointing this out has kind of been my whole deal so you're preaching to the choir. Unfortunately the way I deal with these issues is probably untenable for you, so while I agree and offer my help I'm probably a fairly inert ally.

I've been skeptical of anime on netflix but I will check out GITS SAC_2045.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »
I've been skeptical of anime on netflix but I will check out GITS SAC_2045.

It's GiTS as GiTS usually is. Confusing.

Recent Topics

Thankful by Sojourner
Today at 06:46:33 PM

I Knew Him-Joseph by Cloudwalker
Today at 01:57:39 PM

Church Abuse/ Rebuke by tango
Today at 09:34:39 AM

Riddle by RabbiKnife
Today at 08:04:58 AM

just wanted to say by ProDeo
Today at 04:53:45 AM

Has anyone heard from Parson lately? by Cloudwalker