Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: What Makes A Person Jewish?  (Read 14490 times)

journeyman

• View Profile
Re: What Makes A Person Jewish?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:17 PM »
Jesus didn't teach the law.
Point to it.

Moses did.
They both did, only Jesus obviously kept it better.

This is talking about king David.
That's true, but Jewish sages also applied it to King Messiah.

You ignore them, except when it suits you.
I was simply pointing out that the KJV as you suggest, isn't the only quackendoodle version that believes the proper translation of a term is "hanged." I will say this. Our conversation could be a three stooges sketch.

Oh. I thought it was everyone. Isn't that your big selling point?
I never implied anything of that sort. I'm showing how the people who were left after judgement fell were blessed.

And I've shown how all of Abraham's physical descendants are blessed. You're unwilling to acknowledge it.
I acknowledge all people on earth are blessed by God, I'm not acknowledging being pronounced as cursed by God as a blessing.
[/quote]

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2022, 02:55:59 PM »
Point to it.
You don't keep it.

They both did, only Jesus obviously kept it better.
That's a point of faith and not fact.

That's true, but Jewish sages also applied it to King Messiah.
I'd like a source.

If they did, it would be the same sages who didn't think Jesus was the messiah. So they're quotable when useful to you and otherwise ignored.
I was simply pointing out that the KJV as you suggest, isn't the only quackendoodle version that believes the proper translation of a term is "hanged." I will say this. Our conversation could be a three stooges sketch.
We'd all have to be Jewish for that.

I never implied anything of that sort. I'm showing how the people who were left after judgement fell were blessed.
All the people were blessed.

I acknowledge all people on earth are blessed by God,
But God specifically blessed Abraham's physical descendants. This is the plain text of the bible. Why is that so hard to admit?

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »
You don't keep it.
You said, "Jesus didn't teach the law." I asked you to cite an example and you can't do it.

That's a point of faith and not fact.
Lol...I said Gods' people are those of faith.

I'd like a source.
Why have nations gathered: Our Sages (Ber. 7b) expounded the passage as referring to the King Messiah, but according to its apparent meaning, it is proper to interpret it as referring to David himself, as the matter is stated (II Sam. 5:17): “And the Philistines heard that they had anointed David as king over Israel, and all the Philistines went up to seek, etc.,” and they fell into his hands. Concerning them, he says, “Why have nations gathered,” and they all gathered. (Rashis' commentary Psa.2:2)

If they did, it would be the same sages who didn't think Jesus was the messiah. So they're quotable when useful to you and otherwise ignored.
That's not the point my friend. The point is Judaism regarded Psa.2:2 as referring to King Messiah.

This doesn't mean we must agree on how we perceive what Messiah will do, but it shows that even within Judaism, the rabbis' disagreed with one another. So please Fenris, cut out the nonsense.

All the people were blessed.
Maybe you're right. Maybe people who are being executed for worshipping an idol are being blessed. That certainly could be trure in a soiritual sense, because the death of the flesh is a good thing.

But God specifically blessed Abraham's physical descendants. This is the plain text of the bible. Why is that so hard to admit?
It's not hard to admit. I agree with it entirely. The world had been blessed by Jesus, the seed of Abraham.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »

You said, "Jesus didn't teach the law." I asked you to cite an example and you can't do it.
You want me to point to an example of him not teaching the law? What does that even mean?!

You don't keep the law.

Lol...I said Gods' people are those of faith.
Which is...also not in the bible. Plot twist!

Why have nations gathered:
Interestingly enough, a quick google search leads to Christian sites and only Christian sites.

That's not the point my friend. The point is Judaism regarded Psa.2:2 as referring to King Messiah.
The plain text is obviously king David.

This doesn't mean we must agree on how we perceive what Messiah will do, but it shows that even within Judaism, the rabbis' disagreed with one another. So please Fenris, cut out the nonsense.
Yet Jews agree that Jesus is not the messiah. So again, a Jewish source is good only when you can use it for your purposes. Otherwise it is to be ignored.

Maybe you're right. Maybe people who are being executed for worshipping an idol are being blessed. .
Again, after the golden calf and the sins of the spies, Balaam was not allowed to curse the people "for they are blessed."

It's not hard to admit. I agree with it entirely. The world had been blessed by Jesus, the seed of Abraham.
The blessing wasn't for one person who lived thousands of years later.

God blessed Ishmael and his descendants (Gen 17) but not Abraham's? Have you read the bible?

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2022, 08:01:59 PM »

The blessing wasn't for one person who lived thousands of years later.

God blessed Ishmael and his descendants (Gen 17) but not Abraham's? Have you read the bible?
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. This pretty much sums up my view,

The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” Act.2:39

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »
J man, you do know that a non Christian puts as much weight of on the NT as on the Sunday comics….
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2022, 10:38:53 AM »
Yes RK.
With people who regard Jesus as no more important than an atheist or comedy trios, it goes without saying.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2022, 11:15:00 AM »
I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
So did God bless Abraham's descendants through Isaac and Jacob too, or just Ishmael's?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
J man, you do know that a non Christian puts as much weight of on the NT as on the Sunday comics….
He's just doing his thing.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »
So did God bless Abraham's descendants through Isaac and Jacob too, or just Ishmael's?
I've been saying all along God blessed Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, along with all the Jewush people. I'll just refer you back to this post the next time.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2022, 12:57:03 PM »
I've been saying all along God blessed Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, along with all the Jewush people. I'll just refer you back to this post the next time.
You could refer me back now. Because I can't find it.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2022, 10:57:08 PM »
You could refer me back now. Because I can't find it.
Post #54.
For the record, I said Islam changed the Abrahamic blessing from Isaac to Ishmael.....and I didn't drag the Quaran into this conversation.....you did.
But I think you're right that in ways, Judaism is closer to Islam than Chrustianity, because Judaism doesn't believe the world was blessed by Jesus through Jacob.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
Post #54.
Post 54 claims that you said "God blessed Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, along with all the Jewish people", but you never said it prior to post 54.

For the record, I said Islam changed the Abrahamic blessing from Isaac to Ishmael.....and I didn't drag the Quaran into this conversation.....you did.

It's not in the Koran, it's in the bible. I even cited the source, Genesis 17:

God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.”

But I think you're right that in ways, Judaism is closer to Islam than Chrustianity, because Judaism doesn't believe the world was blessed by Jesus through Jacob.
Also more strictly monotheistic. And both consider actions more important that faith.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2022, 04:25:20 PM »
Christianity is strictly monotheistic, alongside Judaism and Islam.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »
Christianity is strictly monotheistic, alongside Judaism and Islam.
Christianity believes in a triune God.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
Today at 11:05:49 PM

Thankful by Sojourner
Today at 06:46:33 PM

I Knew Him-Joseph by Cloudwalker
Today at 01:57:39 PM

Church Abuse/ Rebuke by tango
Today at 09:34:39 AM

Riddle by RabbiKnife
Today at 08:04:58 AM