Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: A prophet like unto Moses  (Read 9552 times)

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
Re: A prophet like unto Moses
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2023, 07:43:18 PM »
Knowing you will have a different take but here it is ... Isa_53:3  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
I am aware of this verse. As explain, we believe this to be referring to the entirety of the Jewish people, who have been looked down upon and downtrodden while in exile.
Judism is an antichrist religon.
Thus proving my point, above.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2023, 08:43:31 PM »
Knowing you will have a different take but here it is ... Isa_53:3  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
I am aware of this verse. As explain, we believe this to be referring to the entirety of the Jewish people, who have been looked down upon and downtrodden while in exile.
Judism is an antichrist religon.
Thus proving my point, above.
God gave us a really cool book into Him self..So many avenues I am always amazed

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2023, 08:56:06 PM »
God gave us a really cool book into Him self..So many avenues I am always amazed
The bible isn't about God, though. It's about a people.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2023, 10:12:42 AM »
The bible isn't about God, though. It's about a people.

I think the Bible is ultimately focused on God rather than His servants. He trained up the descendants of Abraham to be a royal priesthood, and they are the people He chose to fulfill His purposes through. But it was always His intention for them to share His light with the Gentiles. And while you naturally disagree, Christians see that light as the Gospel of God's kingdom disseminated by Jesus' Apostles. At any rate, in the final analysis, God's glory is the end, while the Jews are the means.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2023, 12:21:19 PM »
I think the Bible is ultimately focused on God rather than His servants.
The bible isn't about God. The text is all about a people. Their trials and tribulations, their successes and failures, their history and their future. This people is singled out by their relationship to God. But the books are about the people, not God Himself.

He trained up the descendants of Abraham to be a royal priesthood, and they are the people He chose to fulfill His purposes through. But it was always His intention for them to share His light with the Gentiles.
Of course. Exodus 19:6 (from my Bar Mitzvah reading!) "Now if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, you will be My treasured possession out of all the nations—for the whole earth is Mine. And unto Me you shall be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you are to speak to the Israelites.” "

Deuteronomy 7: For you are a holy people to the Lord, your God: the Lord your God has chosen you to be His treasured people, out of all the peoples upon the face of the earth.

Deuteronomy 14: for you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Out of all the peoples on the face of the earth, the LORD has chosen you to be his treasured possession.

Deuteronomy 26: He has declared that he will set you in praise, fame and honor high above all the nations he has made and that you will be a people holy to the LORD your God, as he promised.

And  Isaiah 42:6 I am the Lord; I called you with righteousness and I will strengthen your hand; and I formed you, and I made you for a people's covenant, for a light to nations.

Etc etc.

Of course, being chosen by God means additional responsibilities

Amos 3:2 "You only have I known out of all the families of the earth: therefore will I visit upon you all your iniquities."

And while you naturally disagree, Christians see that light as the Gospel of God's kingdom disseminated by Jesus' Apostles.
Not so much as you think. While Christians are not, in my opinion, completely correct in their beliefs, they have spread knowledge of God. Of course, so have Muslims.
At any rate, in the final analysis, God's glory is the end, while the Jews are the means.
To say that God requires anything is to say that God is somehow incomplete. God does not require glory.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »
Quote from: fenris
To say that God requires anything is to say that God is somehow incomplete. God does not require glory.

God is indeed complete, and doesn't "need" anything. And He may not require glory, but giving Him glory is a natural part of worship:

Everyone that is called by My name, and whom I created for My glory, I formed him, yea I made him. (Isa 14:7)

He doesn't share His glory, praise or honor with other gods:
I am the Lord, that is My Name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to the graven images. (Isa 42:8)

For My sake, for My sake I will do, for how shall it be profaned? And My honor I will not give to another.
(Isa 48:11)

In fact, with regard to worship, He says He is jealous :
For you shall not prostrate yourself before another god, because the Lord, Whose Name is "Jealous One," is a jealous God. (Exo 34:14)

I believe our purpose is worship God, and give Him praise, glory and honor. You're certainly free to disagree.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 05:28:13 PM by Sojourner »
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2023, 06:12:07 PM »
Rev_4:11  Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2023, 09:11:47 PM »

Everyone that is called by My name, and whom I created for My glory, I formed him, yea I made him. (Isa 14:7)
This is in chapter 43.  ;)

Which is a pretty awesome chapter.

The preceding verses talk about the ingathering of the Jewish exiles

But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
 For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
    nations in exchange for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
    I will bring your children from the east
    and gather you from the west.
 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
    and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
Bring my sons from afar
    and my daughters from the ends of the earth—

and a little later on in the chapter

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
    “and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
    and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
    nor will there be one after me."

In fact, with regard to worship, He says He is jealous :
For you shall not prostrate yourself before another god, because the Lord, Whose Name is "Jealous One," is a jealous God. (Exo 34:14)
Yes, God is not happy with idol worship
I believe our purpose is worship God, and give Him praise, glory and honor.
Angels also worship and give praise. Why does God need us?

You're certainly free to disagree.
And I do! Our purpose is to express our free will, and hopefully make the right choices, and so earn the right to bask in the divine presence.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2023, 09:44:13 PM »
Who is your "OUR"

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2023, 10:08:38 PM »
Who is your "OUR"
People. Mankind. Humanity.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2023, 09:37:06 AM »
According to my beliefs you and i do not worship the same God. seems to me in a small amount of reading  the god of Islam is the same as the god of Judaism .
I would be totally surprised if you do not know these passages.  I do wish i could write as well as you.

1Jn 2:22  Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 
1Jn 2:23  Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also

2Jn 1:9  Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 
2Jn 1:10  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 
2Jn 1:11  For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. 

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2023, 10:42:31 AM »
I think most evangelicals would agree that the God of the Old Testament is the same God as that revealed in the New Testament.

The Jewish faith would hold to a different understanding of the nature and revelation of God than Christians, but they are not two different gods.

Islam, however, would hold to a god that has nothing to do with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2023, 12:56:46 PM »
I agree there is not connection between God and islam. But  Islam says they are the same god.

The Christian God has a Son ... the god of Israel and of islam does not

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2023, 01:03:35 PM »
According to my beliefs you and i do not worship the same God.
This is an interesting observation. In your beliefs, does this mean that Judaism is idolatry?

seems to me in a small amount of reading  the god of Islam is the same as the god of Judaism .
I honestly don't know enough about Islam to comment. I will observe that Judaism and Islam are both "rules based" religions while Christianity is a "principle based" religion.

I do wish i could write as well as you.
That is very kind of you to say! Stick around here and practice and I'm sure you will impress us with your writing skills in no time.

1Jn 2:22  Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1Jn 2:23  Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also
So this is clearly not Jewish. There is no concept in Judaism of God having a son, (aside from the people of Israel- see Exodus 4-  "Then tell Pharaoh that this is what the LORD says: ‘Israel is My firstborn son, and I told you to let My son go so that he may worship Me") or that has any obligation to "believe" in this son.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 01:13:29 PM by Fenris »

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
I think most evangelicals would agree that the God of the Old Testament is the same God as that revealed in the New Testament.
Yeah and I think it's an interesting point of discussion. I asked the question some time ago, not sure if it was here or on the old forums, about whether or not Judaism is idolatry. And nobody would say that it was. But it also appears to be "insufficient" from the Christian perspective.
Islam, however, would hold to a god that has nothing to do with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
For them it's the god of Abraham and Ishmael. Whom God did bless, according to the bible, but he was not the continuance of Abraham's covenant with God.

Genesis 17 ...God replied, “Your wife Sarah will indeed bear you a son, and you are to name him Isaac. I will establish My covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. As for Ishmael, I have heard you, and I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and multiply him greatly. He will become the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. But I will establish My covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this time next year.”
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 01:11:15 PM by Fenris »

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by Athanasius
Today at 04:37:15 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Oscar_Kipling
Today at 03:29:45 PM

In Jesus name, Amen by ProDeo
September 14, 2024, 03:18:27 AM

Is free will a failed concept? by Athanasius
August 26, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Was the Father's will always subordinate to the Son's will? by CrimsonTide21
August 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM