Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: The Hidden Treasure of John 1:1  (Read 3582 times)

journeyman

• View Profile
Re: The Hidden Treasure of John 1:1
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 03:04:24 PM »
The truth about John 1:1 has been long hidden from the masses. Why is learning this scripture vital to your spiritual health? Because words matter! In Greek there are two different words for God. Also, using a definite article emphasizes the subject spoken about.  First instance is ton theon which means the God and the second instance is theos which means a god.

{ snip }
The most important thing to know and remember, is why God became one man.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 03:08:09 PM »
That Modalism, Patrick…

Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

BroRando

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 03:57:47 PM »
The truth about John 1:1 has been long hidden from the masses. Why is learning this scripture vital to your spiritual health? Because words matter! In Greek there are two different words for God. Also, using a definite article emphasizes the subject spoken about.  First instance is ton theon which means the God and the second instance is theos which means a god.

{ snip }

For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those not acknowledging Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. (2 John 1:7)

"God is not a man." (Number 23:19)

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those not acknowledging Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. (2 John 1:7)

Well,

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? Num.23:19

God isn't a man who is a liar, or in need of repentance. He did fulfill his word.

CONSPICILLUM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
That Church deemed Arianism a heresy, which was the belief that Jesus was less than God--a super-man for sure, but not actually THE God.

Of a similar substance to God, so surely more than a mere super-man in the eyes of Arius -- who still held that Jesus is the creator of all (God creates Jesus, who creates everything else).

Some people consider me somewhat off base and semi-heretical when I partly agree with Origen (subordinationism), who saw the Son as sort of eternally condensing into a human image of God, existing perennially in a finite form without sacrificing his Deity. God created the body of the Son by revelation of His word.

Does that mean you also partly agree with Arius, who also held to subordinationism? Although, is what you're describing even subordinationism?

No, I don't agree with my detractors, who find the language I use a form of subordinationism. I think Tertullian saw the Son as an eternal radiation of ight from God who is the source of that light. And so the light source and the radiation of that light share the same substance. (I am arguing in favor of "same substance," the orthodox formula.)

Origen is accused of engaging in subordinationism because of his apparent focus on economic distinctions between the Father and the Son. But it is apparent that Jesus said, "the Father is greater than I," without denying that he was the human expression of the Father. God's word is on a lower level of expression than God's understanding of Himself, which is infinite. God is revealing Himself to finite creatures He has created, and thus is speaking *down* to them.

Jesus said, "The Father is in me." That expresses an essential unity of divine personality between the Father and His verbalized expressions to man, including the human expression of Deity.

So whether you focus on the unity of God or focus or on the subordinated position of Christ to the Father, you will still be orthodox in your theology, as long as you spell it out as an economic unity. It is not merely an alignment of wills, or some kind of syncretistic or functional unity, but rather, an essential unity of Persons, without sacrificing the subordinated position of the Son.

My own way of expressing this is dictated by my own need to understand this in words that satisfy my own intellectual needs. I need to hear it in terms of an infinite God and finite forms of God.

Every Person of the Trinity is infinite. And yet the roles they play are described in finite terms. "The Father" itself is a finite expression to us about God. The Son expresses God in a finite, human form. The Spirit also is the appearance of God in finite space. They all are disclosed to us in finite language, and appear in different finite expressions. And yet, all of them are infinite Deity.

Origen explained the difference between infinite Deity and His Wisdom as such:

For we do not say, as the heretics suppose, that some part of the substance of God was converted into the Son, or that the Son was procreated by the Father out of things non-existent, i.e., beyond His own substance, so that there once was a time when He did not exist; but, putting away all corporeal conceptions, we say that the Word and Wisdom was begotten out of the invisible and incorporeal without any corporeal feeling, as if it were an act of the will proceeding from the understanding. Nor, seeing He is called the Son of (His) love, will it appear absurd if in this way He be called the Son of (His) will. Nay, John also indicates that “God is Light,” and Paul also declares that the Son is the splendor of everlasting light. As light, accordingly, could never exist without splendor, so neither can the Son be understood to exist without the Father; for He is called the “express image of His person,” and the Word and Wisdom.

How, then, can it be asserted that there once was a time when He was not the Son? For that is nothing else than to say that there was once a time when He was not the Truth, nor the Wisdom, nor the Life, although in all these He is judged to be the perfect essence of God the Father; for these things cannot be severed from Him, or even be separated from His essence. And although these qualities are said to be many in understanding, yet in their nature and essence they are one, and in them is the fulness of divinity. Now this expression which we employ—”that there never was a time when He did not exist”—is to be understood with an allowance. For these very words “when” or “never” have a meaning that relates to time, whereas the statements made regarding Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are to be understood as transcending all time, all ages, and all eternity. For it is the Trinity alone which exceeds the comprehension not only of temporal but even of eternal intelligence; while other things which are not included in it are to be measured by times and ages. This Son of God, then, in respect of the Word being God, which was in the beginning with God, no one will logically suppose to be contained in any place; nor yet in respect of His being “Wisdom,” or “Truth,” or the “Life,” or “Righteousness,” or “Sanctification,” or “Redemption:” for all these properties do not require space to be able to act or to operate, but each one of them is to be understood as meaning those individuals who participate in His virtue and working.

My saying the Persons of the Trinity are finite expressions of an infinite God can be misleading, suggesting to some that all of them are less than God, or the Son is less than full Deity.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are all infinite Deity expressing God in finite ways. After all, revelation is the transformation of an infinite God into finite expressions of Himself. These are really divine expressions of God in a form less than an expression of something infinite. It is the infinite being expressed in finite form so that we can understand it.

Once God expresses Himself in a form of revelation, it becomes finite communication that we can understand. Otherwise, nobody could understand anything about an infinite Being.

As I see it, Origen is correct. God is infinite, and although God's Word appears in finite form it remains the product of an infinite source, and therefore united in divine substance.

This is a really contrived manner of arriving at some form or degree of Sabellianism, or worse. Finite expressions would be the result of economies of action. This indicates either created divine or human entities. This is an odd and nebulous production of a tritheristic Unitarianism, like a Pneumatomachianism cousin heresy.

Why have you not instead devoted time to a rudimentary understanding of the Greek language and intense study of the Cappadocians and others for Theology Proper? You are not at all saying what Origen was saying, and sourcing Origen and Tertullian aren’t to be done casually without aligning their epistemics with one’s own to know what they meant rather than merely what they said.

I suspect this disposition is the culprit for your meanderings: “My own way of expressing this is dictated by my own need to understand this in words that satisfy my own intellectual needs. I need to hear it in terms of an infinite God and finite forms of God.”

Theology Proper isn’t driven by individual intellectual needs for hearing terms in a certain manner. This is alarming and saddening. Please reconsider all of this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:10:12 PM by CONSPICILLUM »

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 05:15:07 PM »

{ snip }

You are quoting the very verses that would condemn your apparent position. To deny that God has come in the flesh is to be an antichrist. To deny Jesus has come in the flesh is to deny that God's word became flesh. That is, it is to say that God could not, by His word, express Himself in the form of human flesh, as a man.

The Scriptures were not saying that God could not appear in the form of man--there had been a number of theophanies, expressing God in the form of angelic men. So God clearly could express Himself in the form of men.

So God could also express Himself in more than a theophany, in the form of an actual human being in flesh and blood. And such was Christ.

So what was Balaam actually saying, since it obviously is not what you're implying? It was saying that God was not like human liars, and not even strictly consigned to humanity.

He was not a strictly created human, though he could reveal himself as a man. An eternal Being could reveal Himself in the form of created men. God could express Himself in the form of man without sacrificing His deity.

While appearing in the form of Christ he retained His deity. As such, He could never deny Himself and lie.

Much of what Scriptures state about mankind is that they are fallen and have had to be partitioned, to some degree, away from God. That is what the cherubim did in the garden.

So what the passage is saying is that God is unlike fallen men, and will not lie. God could, however, reveal Himself as an eternal Being in the form of finite Man. He is not, as such, the strictly created man, but more, God revealed in the flesh.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:24:48 PM by RandyPNW »

CONSPICILLUM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 05:20:14 PM »

{ snip }

You are quoting the very verses that would condemn your apparent position. To deny that God has come in the flesh is to be an antichrist. To deny Jesus has come in the flesh is to deny that God's word became flesh. That is, it is to say that God could not, by His word, express Himself in the form of human flesh, as a man.

The Scriptures were not saying that God could not appear in the form of man--there had been a number of theophanies, expressing God in the form of angelic men. So God clearly could express Himself in the form of men.

So God could also express Himself in more than a theophany, in the form of an actual human being in flesh and blood. And such was Christ.

So what was Balaam actually saying, since it obviously is not what you're implying? I was saying that God was not like human liars, and not even strictly consigned to humanity.

God could, however, express Himself in the form of man without sacrificing His deity. While appearing in the form of Christ he retained His deity. As such, He could never deny Himself and lie.

Much of what Scriptures state about mankind is that they are fallen and have had to be partitioned, to some degree, away from God. That is what the cherubim did in the garden. So what the passage is saying is that God is unlike fallen men, and will not lie.

Your usage of the English terms expression and form are not Trinitarian language. I’d strongly suggest you’re not the person to be engaging with Apologetics with Arians / JWs.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 05:26:12 PM »

{ snip }

So what was Balaam actually saying, since it obviously is not what you're implying? I was saying that God was not like human liars, and not even strictly consigned to humanity.

God could, however, express Himself in the form of man without sacrificing His deity. While appearing in the form of Christ he retained His deity. As such, He could never deny Himself and lie.

Much of what Scriptures state about mankind is that they are fallen and have had to be partitioned, to some degree, away from God. That is what the cherubim did in the garden. So what the passage is saying is that God is unlike fallen men, and will not lie.

Your usage of the English terms expression and form are not Trinitarian language. I’d strongly suggest you’re not the person to be engaging with Apologetics with Arians / JWs.

You get to have an opinion. Thanks.

I recognize the importance of using historic technical language, and admit I have deficiencies in this. My interest is in understanding things for myself. That's why I tend to put things in my own words.

If you don't want to acknowledge my personal understanding, and only address things in the more technical terms, you're welcome to give your bit.

I tend to write down my posts, and edit them over a period of a few minutes. So you might revisit what I say after a few minutes.

I will add that "3 persons in one substance" is an easily understood statement of orthodoxy. But individuals have different concerns which may be addressed in unique ways. I as an individual have had to approach this with my own concerns.

Indeed, when people just recite doctrines, as I did for the 1st 17 years of my life, they don't fully comprehend--they're just reciting traditional beliefs. That is, they understand the *language* of what they're saying, but they don't fully comprehend the full implications of the reality.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 06:48:54 PM by RandyPNW »

CONSPICILLUM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 09:54:19 PM »

{ snip }

You get to have an opinion. Thanks.

I recognize the importance of using historic technical language, and admit I have deficiencies in this. My interest is in understanding things for myself. That's why I tend to put things in my own words.

If you don't want to acknowledge my personal understanding, and only address things in the more technical terms, you're welcome to give your bit.

I tend to write down my posts, and edit them over a period of a few minutes. So you might revisit what I say after a few minutes.

I will add that "3 persons in one substance" is an easily understood statement of orthodoxy. But individuals have different concerns which may be addressed in unique ways. I as an individual have had to approach this with my own concerns.

Indeed, when people just recite doctrines, as I did for the 1st 17 years of my life, they don't fully comprehend--they're just reciting traditional beliefs. That is, they understand the *language* of what they're saying, but they don't fully comprehend the full implications of the reality.

The Cappadocians (Saint Basil and the Saints Gregory) exhaustively dealt with any minuatiae you could possibly care to know. And if that isn’t sufficient, then Thomas Aquinas was certainly explicit enough (though Thomism should be approached very carefully). But the thoughts and expressions you’re providing aren’t in the range of orthodoxy at all. This isn’t my opinion, it’s absolute objective truth and fact.

Nobody needs modern innovation and reinterpretation or the reinvention of terms and doctrines (particulary for Paterology, Christology, and Pneumatology within Theology Proper). There’s enough of that drivel from the NAR groups and their many heresies.

I do agree that more should go to great lengths of prayerful study to understand more and more of the doctrines of the faith for themselves. But it should be from lexicography and grammar supported by Patristic writings and Confessional documents that affirm scripture. This endeavor of yours is just a rogue expedition of vanity. I doubt that’s what you intend, but that’s exactly what it is. And it’s not to your benefit. I can only make this appeal so that maybe God’s grace will not be frustrated when I say this.

You are progressing toward formal heresy. It’s grieving to read and watch.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 11:47:32 PM »
The Cappadocians (Saint Basil and the Saints Gregory) exhaustively dealt with any minuatiae you could possibly care to know. And if that isn’t sufficient, then Thomas Aquinas was certainly explicit enough (though Thomism should be approached very carefully). But the thoughts and expressions you’re providing aren’t in the range of orthodoxy at all. This isn’t my opinion, it’s absolute objective truth and fact.

I have read the Cappadocians--certainly not enough. I have no idea why you think I don't speak "orthodox language?"

What's strange is that you don't even explain what or why what I say isn't orthodox language! Not everything is written in Greek. And not everything has to be a direct translation from the Greek or Latin.

If you can't even explain what is heterodox about the use of my language, I have to wonder why you're complaining? My choice to use words like "infinite" and "finite" I got by reading philosophy.

Nobody needs modern innovation and reinterpretation or the reinvention of terms and doctrines (particulary for Paterology, Christology, and Pneumatology within Theology Proper)....

Using language to explain "fossilized," repeated statements of orthodoxy is precisely what is needed. A church nearby started up with the idea of making religious language more understandable in today's vernacular.

Your pontification, as it relates to what I post, is no concern of mine. If you think I'm breaking some rule of this forum, please take it up with those in charge?

I do agree that more should go to great lengths of prayerful study to understand more and more of the doctrines of the faith for themselves. But it should be from lexicography and grammar supported by Patristic writings and Confessional documents that affirm scripture. This endeavor of yours is just a rogue expedition of vanity.

That is hardly "edifying," my friend! Why don't you let God judge whether my approach is okay or not? Hurling nasty condemning claims about the unworthiness of my posts is out of line, as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt that’s what you intend, but that’s exactly what it is. And it’s not to your benefit. I can only make this appeal so that maybe God’s grace will not be frustrated when I say this.

You are progressing toward formal heresy. It’s grieving to read and watch.

Funny, you claim heresy, and you seem unable to identify it? But if I were you, I wouldn't throw your lexical approach around the way you've been doing it? As I said elsewhere, it appears to be a prime example of the etymological root fallacy. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:49:27 PM by RandyPNW »

theMad-JW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 09:59:48 AM »
" this would be the Christian heresy called Arianism"
Correction-
This would be a Churchoid heresy for a belief in One God, instead of Three!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2022, 10:03:23 AM »
Dude is banned, again -- I think it's 'again'. He's posting like the JW poster a few months ago, so who knows.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2022, 10:31:04 AM »
Oh, Patrick!!!

(Again, just because we all need it.)

Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Keiw1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »

{ snip }

Yes there are only 2 instances where that occurs in the NT. Both scriptures must hold to the same translating rule.
At John 1:1--in the second line the true God called Ho Theos( ton theon) God, and the word called plain theos= a god. Its the whole reason of the difference. And at 2 Cor 4:4-Satan called plain Theos=god, and the true God called HoTheos. to show the difference of what one is being called.

Its a major translating error to fit false council teachings of God being a trinity by satans will to mislead all he can found in trinity translations.
Thesad thing is that the trinity scholars know its fact and will not teach truth on the matter. Why you ask. Because that single truth exposes 41,000 trinity religions(a house divided that will not stand) as false religion, Billions would be lost yearly, and probably 2 billion humans suing them for lying on top of it.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 03:54:54 AM »
Goodbye, and ἄπαγε.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris