Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Golden Crocoduck 2023  (Read 1079 times)

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Golden Crocoduck 2023
« on: October 28, 2023, 10:04:52 AM »
Any thoughts on this year's award?

I really thought it should have been Behe.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Golden Crocoduck 2023
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 04:12:34 PM »
Never heard of it

God be praised.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 05:22:07 PM »
Dude, I can't be bothered to watch an 18-minute video; Taylor Swift just dropped a bunch of new stuff and "Clean" is just sublime.

And really, what I'm saying is that I don't follow this stuff closely anymore, so I'd rather listen to Taylor Swift and have one of her Swifties evangelise me than get swept up in the whole creation/evolution dead, beaten horse corpse something worthy of an Infant Annihilator song title.

What's the point of this award?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 05:30:40 PM by Athanasius »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 07:46:36 AM »
It's back after a nine-year gap while the journalist behind it was on other projects.

The Golden Crocoduck award is a celebration of the most blatant violation of the ninth commandment in the promotion of the creationist cause.

This is the first year it has not been put to an online vote, for better or for worse.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 09:49:22 AM »
But like, is this in service to some broader scientific or academic end or is it for the terminally online?

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 10:20:29 AM »
I don't give a rip about Academy Awards, Emmys, or other legitimate honors. I certainly won't invest any time or thought into dubious, nonsense such as the Golden Crocoduck award.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 10:46:57 AM »
It's a light-hearted parody of award shows, using an obscure religious movement as its basis.

It didn't fit any theological categories so I put it in the 'In General' one.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »
It's a light-hearted parody of award shows, using an obscure religious movement as its basis.

It didn't fit any theological categories so I put it in the 'In General' one.

Yeah, I get that. It's along the same lines as the Darwin Awards. What I don't get is your purpose. For a non-Christian, you spend a lot of time eliciting replies related to and predicated on the Christian perspective. What are you seeking to accomplish?
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 03:49:05 PM »

Psalm 1:1 - Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

teddyv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 12:59:38 PM »

As someone who does pay attention to the crevo stuff, James Tour probably should have got it.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 03:40:20 PM »
In answer to Sojourner's question, I was under the impression that the really fringe stuff is the sort of thing that both Christians and non-Christians jointly find entertaining, usually for the same reasons. It's like Bibleman or the tracts that the late Jack T. Chick came up with.

teddyv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 12:06:21 PM »
In answer to Sojourner's question, I was under the impression that the really fringe stuff is the sort of thing that both Christians and non-Christians jointly find entertaining, usually for the same reasons. It's like Bibleman or the tracts that the late Jack T. Chick came up with.
Knowing many of these members for many, many, years now, it's just not something many have spent time on, nor any particular interest.

I keep up on the YEC world. I would not dismiss them as fringe, as they are not an insignificant element within the US evangelical world. Outside of the US though, they are far less relevant.

Of course, AiG is pretty much all culture war now, with barely any research being undertaken. They are starting to eat their own now as well, accusing other creationists of being "Young Earth Evolutionists" because those people are trying to engage with the facts of evolution or old earth, like Todd Wood or Kurt Wise.

I attended a Creation Ministries International talk about a year ago and it was a face-palming event. It was pretty shocking sitting there listening to a man so ignorant of the subjects he was criticizing.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 01:21:46 PM »

I'm not really into topics of endless debate (the age of the earth, timing of the great tribulation, etc). I learned over the years that most people have their minds made up, making most debates unfruitful and essentially pointless. Besides, when you get up in age and time becomes more valuable, you get more selective in choosing how to invest it. 

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 05:53:11 AM »
Knowing many of these members for many, many, years now, it's just not something many have spent time on, nor any particular interest.

I keep up on the YEC world. I would not dismiss them as fringe, as they are not an insignificant element within the US evangelical world. Outside of the US though, they are far less relevant.

Of course, AiG is pretty much all culture war now, with barely any research being undertaken. They are starting to eat their own now as well, accusing other creationists of being "Young Earth Evolutionists" because those people are trying to engage with the facts of evolution or old earth, like Todd Wood or Kurt Wise.

I attended a Creation Ministries International talk about a year ago and it was a face-palming event. It was pretty shocking sitting there listening to a man so ignorant of the subjects he was criticizing.

Even those of us who did spend a lot of time with the subject and had an interest, it's just like, not a priority anymore.

teddyv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 01:13:15 PM »

Even those of us who did spend a lot of time with the subject and had an interest, it's just like, not a priority anymore.
True enough, though I don't really recall you getting into the weeds so much.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Today at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Today at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris