Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: What if we had to rely just on Scripture we had memorized?  (Read 1700 times)

Cloudwalker

• The one and only, genuine, original Cloudwalker
    • View Profile
What if we had to rely just on Scripture we had memorized?
« on: September 10, 2022, 09:43:20 PM »
I recently had a thought. If, for some reason, we had to rely just on Scripture that we had memorized. I, personally, could rely on PS 1, PS 23, John 1-3 (maybe through 5) 1 Jn 4:7-8, Jn 3: 16-17. I could give good renditions of a number of stories. Such as the nativity, the Passion, the Resurrection, just to name a few. They wouldn't be direct quotes of any specific version, but a blending of all of them. So how would we do?to
May God bless you as you seek to do God's will

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: What if we had to rely just on Scripture we had memorized?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 06:38:39 AM »
Not as well as the drifters/intellectuals that Montag meets after escaping the city...

And certainly not as well as the protagonist in The Book of Eli.

I fear that we would be limited to a few flannelgraph stories and badly flawed theology., although we could recite the starting lineup of the 1975-76 Cincinnati Reds or Manchester United or Arsenal.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Mcgyver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 11:58:59 AM »
Hmmm... interesting thought.

I think that either we would realize that we don't know that we don't know and actively seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit,

Or

Think we have it all figured out from the fragments that we have memorized.

Lots of people do that now lol lol

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 12:14:02 AM »
I recently had a thought. If, for some reason, we had to rely just on Scripture that we had memorized. I, personally, could rely on PS 1, PS 23, John 1-3 (maybe through 5) 1 Jn 4:7-8, Jn 3: 16-17. I could give good renditions of a number of stories. Such as the nativity, the Passion, the Resurrection, just to name a few. They wouldn't be direct quotes of any specific version, but a blending of all of them. So how would we do?to

If it came down to an elimination of physical Bibles and all we had was memory, I honestly believe Christians would experience a promise from Jesus:

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

hawkman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 09:22:00 PM »
I recently had a thought. If, for some reason, we had to rely just on Scripture that we had memorized. I, personally, could rely on PS 1, PS 23, John 1-3 (maybe through 5) 1 Jn 4:7-8, Jn 3: 16-17. I could give good renditions of a number of stories. Such as the nativity, the Passion, the Resurrection, just to name a few. They wouldn't be direct quotes of any specific version, but a blending of all of them. So how would we do?to

If it came down to an elimination of physical Bibles and all we had was memory, I honestly believe Christians would experience a promise from Jesus:

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I second that  :) .

Sometimes when I read a post online a verse to reply with will come to mind from no where it seems . Yes, The Holy Spirit .

Arikel88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 02:49:35 PM »
One day it will come to that, only thru memory will be scripture be studied because one day prophecy says they will take the bibles and take all information no one will be allowed to read the bible.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
One day it will come to that, only thru memory will be scripture be studied because one day prophecy says they will take the bibles and take all information no one will be allowed to read the bible.

One day? It's already like that in certain places, or you can read the Bible, but only the one the state allows.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 10:22:02 AM »
My zombie apocalypse bunker includes

Beans
Bullets
Bandages
Bibles
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »
Bible + Chrono Trigger + no water and nothing with water content because, at that point, why bother?

Titus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
It really just depends on how much Scripture you could/have memorize(d). But I think it would serve us well.

The idea brings to mind the scenario of being imprisoned. Many an imprisoned saint have faired quite well on only the Scriptures they could remember, or that they could put together from pieces or pages that they could get their hands on. I have often thought that the book of John would serve one very well if it were all a person ever had to read and study. It is so comprehensive and contains so many of the greatest Truths as well as the basic Gospel.

If a brand new Christian could only get their hands on a good KJV version of the book of John, and study it for years, I believe they would have a better grasp on the Truth than the vast majority of Church-going Christians today.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
Nah I think the NRSV translation of John would _really_ get them going.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris