Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: What happened to Joseph?  (Read 480 times)

Cloudwalker

• The one and only, genuine, original Cloudwalker
    • View Profile
What happened to Joseph?
« on: June 02, 2022, 11:28:47 AM »
I have a question.  What happened to Joseph?  He is obviously there for the birth.  And he is there when Jesus is 12 and is left behind in Jerusalem.  He is mentioned when Jesus ministers in Nazareth but it isn't clear if he is actually there.  And he isn't mentioned when Jesus's family comes to get him because they think he's crazy.  And he isn't in the picture at the cross.  So what happened to him, and when?

The reason I am asking is I am writing a book retailing the gospel story through the eyes of one person.  The person I am using is the Innkeeper of the inn in Bethlehem where Christ was born.  I have decided to also make him Matthias (the man chosen to replace Judas).  That will give me an in to most of the events.  Currently I have the 1st chapter written.  It covers the birth up until the slaughter of the innocents.   The next chapter will take place at Cana where he again connects with Christ.  During this time I will catch up with things that happened in the meantime. 

Sooner or later I am going to have to deal with Joseph being gone, hence the question.  I figure the 2nd chapter might be a good time.  So what happened, and when?  Any suggestions?

(Moderators.  If there is a  better place for tbis please move it.
May God bless you as you seek to do God's will

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Joseph?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:35:49 AM »
I have a question.  What happened to Joseph?  He is obviously there for the birth.  And he is there when Jesus is 12 and is left behind in Jerusalem.  He is mentioned when Jesus ministers in Nazareth but it isn't clear if he is actually there.  And he isn't mentioned when Jesus's family comes to get him because they think he's crazy.  And he isn't in the picture at the cross.  So what happened to him, and when?

The reason I am asking is I am writing a book retailing the gospel story through the eyes of one person.  The person I am using is the Innkeeper of the inn in Bethlehem where Christ was born.  I have decided to also make him Matthias (the man chosen to replace Judas).  That will give me an in to most of the events.  Currently I have the 1st chapter written.  It covers the birth up until the slaughter of the innocents.   The next chapter will take place at Cana where he again connects with Christ.  During this time I will catch up with things that happened in the meantime.

Sooner or later I am going to have to deal with Joseph being gone, hence the question.  I figure the 2nd chapter might be a good time.  So what happened, and when?  Any suggestions?

(Moderators.  If there is a  better place for tbis please move it.

We don't know.

The speculative answer is something like: Joseph is last mentioned when Jesus was 12, at the temple. He's not mentioned when it comes to taking care of Jesus' body, so I believe tradition has him dying of illness or old age sometime after the temple story and before the crucifixion.

The fact that Joseph drops out of the Gospel narratives entirely (e.g. he's not mentioned at the wedding where Jesus performed his first miracle) tells me that he died 'early on'. Sometime between when Jesus was ~13 to 30.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 08:46:07 AM »
"When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!"
"Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home." Jn 19:26,27."

Mary was certainly widowed by the time of Jesus' crucifixion, unless special circumstances prevailed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:09:30 AM by IMINXTC »

Cloudwalker

• The one and only, genuine, original Cloudwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 10:22:31 AM »
I knew that tradition has that he died. 
May God bless you as you seek to do God's will

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Today at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango