Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Prayer for the IDF  (Read 5281 times)

journeyman

• View Profile
Re: Prayer for the IDF
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »
Dude, this is about God's covenant with Abraham's descendants. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the messiah.
Abrahams descendants are people who come to believe that God would raise his promised son from the dead.

Says "offer him" not "sacrifice him".  (actually Hebrew is better, says 'bring him up'). This is not messianic and rather has everything to do with the age in which he lived. People routinely sacrificed their children to their gods. Abraham had to prove that he loved his God just as much they loved theirs. The difference being that his God does not desire human sacrifice.
Rather, it has to do with Abraham believing God would raise his promised Son from the dead.

Not holy writ and he was never dead.
I didn't say it was holy writ and the passage doesn't say Isaac was resurrected. You seem afraid to just look at what the writer of Hebrews is saying. It makes way more sense than thinking Abraham wanted to prove his loyalty to God by doing what evil men did.

Um this was written like a thousand years after Abraham and is about king David, who wrote it.
It doesn't matter when it was written because David is the heir of Abraham by faith and they will inherit the earth.

I don't know what that means either.
It means what we see are images of what we don't see.

Not Worthy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:23 AM »
]The less fortunate are the less fortunate. Someone might not be your enemy, they might even be your friend, and need help.
I agree we should help our friends, but the Messiah went beyond that,

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Mt.5:43-48

As I told you Fenris, when the Messiah walked on earth, he could easily have wiped out his enemies, but chose not to, instead enduring the sins of mankind against himself. Just as his Father does.

You know, the bible means what it says.  When you are about to go into battle, the priest is to come forward and address the army “Hear, O Israel, today you are going into battle with your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not be alarmed or terrified because of them. For the LORD your God goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.”
I'm not fainthearted when I go to battle against my enemies, because the Lord my God goes with me.

Telling people that they are wrong for praying to God for help against people who are trying to kill them is not showing any concern for their well being.
I never said it was wrong to ask God for help against people who are trying to kill us. I encourage people to pray and ask God to make us more like his Son.

But let's face facts. The IDF needs a lot of prayer when someone who likes to bash Christianity in a Christian forum asks for prayer for the IDF in the same forum.

The only reason why I might be prompted to pray and encourage others to pray for a military whose fight is not my own, is if it fights for a state whose principles are based on the same Christian principles (principles which have Christian roots) upheld in certain (but not all) Western nations, and modern-day Israel has indeed adopted quite a few of these principles which have Christian roots from the nations from whence many Israelis' great-grandparents hailed.

For example, the modern-day state which calls itself Israel would not stone women caught in adultery, because Christ did away with all that - and so "Israel" as adopted and upholds a number of Christian principles, even while this modern state of Israel remains in denial of Christ.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:47:05 AM by Not Worthy »
Bible Scanned. No corruption found.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »
Abrahams descendants are people who come to believe that God would raise his promised son from the dead.
That's...not what the bible says.

Rather, it has to do with Abraham believing God would raise his promised Son from the dead.
That's...not what the bible says.

I didn't say it was holy writ and the passage doesn't say Isaac was resurrected. You seem afraid to just look at what the writer of Hebrews is saying.
I've actually read your bible, believe it or not.

It makes way more sense than thinking Abraham wanted to prove his loyalty to God by doing what evil men did.
It makes perfect sense that Abraham would have to prove that he wasn't choosing this covenant with God because it was "easier" than what his idolatrous neighbors did.

It doesn't matter when it was written because David is the heir of Abraham by faith and they will inherit the earth.
It's quite obviously talking about David.

It means what we see are images of what we don't see.
I don't know what that means either.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »
But let's face facts. The IDF needs a lot of prayer when someone who likes to bash Christianity in a Christian forum asks for prayer for the IDF in the same forum.
I think it's funny that you somehow juxtapose what I say with the state of Israel. "You're a Jew saying things I don't like, so Israel obviously needs a lot of prayer."

The only reason why I might be prompted to pray and encourage others to pray for a military whose fight is not my own, is if it fights for a state whose principles are based on the same Christian principles (principles which have Christian roots) upheld in certain (but not all) Western nations, and modern-day Israel has indeed adopted quite a few of these principles which have Christian roots from the nations from whence many Israelis' great-grandparents hailed.
Actually (and this may come as a shock) Israel is founded on Jewish principles. So is all of western civ, weirdly enough.
For example, the modern-day state which calls itself Israel would not stone women caught in adultery, because Christ did away with all that - and so "Israel" as adopted and upholds a number of Christian principles, even while this modern state of Israel remains in denial of Christ.
The modern day state of Israel doesn't uphold those sort of laws because there exists no body capable of carrying them out. The Sanhedrin was disbanded in the 5th century under orders from the (Christian) Roman empire. 

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2021, 10:20:42 AM »
So, let's see.

Backhandedly calling an observant Jew is supposed to make them accept the Gospel you proclaim.

Check. 

Fenris, not all believe you would be a neo-Nazi, if you were German, of course.

Mein Gott in Himmel!
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »
And having seen Fenris post for 15+ years, I've never seen him engage in "Christian bashing" or disrespectful behavior toward anyone, especially toward Christians.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

The Parson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Parsons Corner ~ Ask the Preacher
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »
Lets take a Chill Pill and calm down some tempers. Okay? Thread Closed.
1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
The Parsons Corner Ministries

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM