Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: "What the media get wrong is..."  (Read 4790 times)

Rebecca

• View Profile
Re: "What the media get wrong is..."
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2023, 09:44:03 AM »
Telling this story again.. Way back around 1957 maybe 8... I was perteen , in those days a kid could be in a  different part of store. Grocery shopping was my chance to read the words of Elvis' songs! There were magazines, hit parade is the one i remember....Also on the magazine  racks were stories of Hollywood, which is to the point..... Elizabeth Taylor was everywhere. There is a photo of her and one of her husbands getting off a plane. In one photo her beautiful white dress is very low cut for the day, the other photo it was not. I do not trust the media. Right, left, conservative, liberal  they are the same in my eyes. Pushing their agenda.

Do you believe that there is something inherently wrong or dishonest about promoting an agenda?
Openly no,  in disguise yes.

In the example of the Elizabeth Taylor censored cleavage,  what strategy should the censored magazine have used to inform the reader of the reasons that they augmented the image? or I suppose perhaps it was the cleavage-ful image that was modified, either way, same question.

Do you have a general distrust of other humans because we all have agendas and often don't even realize that we are promoting them? What steps if any do you take in order to inoculate yourself against unconsciously or consciously disguising your agendas? Do you feel that you have reached a level of self awareness and discipline when communicating with other people that your agenda is always plain and clearly communicated, if so at what age do you think you achieved this state? If you have not reached such a state then do you believe that other people should trust you or distrust you?
A young girl notices the media is not honest. Your reply is so leftist.

Ad hominem and character assassination is the refuge of those who are terrified of the truth. The mere fact that you are attempting to tar me with the "leftist" brush just proves the veracity of my point and illustrates  everything anyone needs to know about your twisted agenda. Unfortunately you are probably too indoctrinated to realize that by trying to destroy me, you are just following the narrative they created to obfuscate the truth. I actually feel sorry for you, maybe you should pick up a copy of animal farm or 1984 because you're actually being like the mean guys in those books.
You make me laugh.. I am a simple woman who seems to have hit you in a soft spot. Hope your day is pleasant thanks for the smile.

Yes, you did. Just because you are simple woman doesn't mean that you can't hurt people with your disparaging epithets. However, i'm a  reasonable if complicated man, so I will accept your explanation that you used that derogatory description because in your simplicity you could hardly grasp the magnitude of maligning me as you did. I forgive you and leave you with this to ruminate on:

Proverbs 1:22
How long, you simpletons, will you insist on being simpleminded? How long will you mockers relish your mocking? How long will you fools hate knowledge?
Now the liberal victim.  All because someone noticed the media is not honest.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2023, 10:39:19 AM »
1 Cor 13 please.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2023, 10:46:40 AM »
Speaking the truth in love comes to mind
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2023, 11:26:46 AM »
As someone whose existence is considered to be so far left all of your brains would explode... does this thread need a break, or are you all giving and taking in stride, and I can go back to listening to Aurora?

Have a soundscape to think it over, or just have a soundscape

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
Ferris, I thought the BBC's recent summary article on Israel and Gaza covered all of your points bar one. They did not specifically mention Hamas putting their military bases in civilian zones.

However, they did mention that Gaza was one of the most densely populated areas in the world. I would imagine that one of their journalists would say that this itself is sufficient to mention. Now I might well be putting words into their mouths, but what would you think of that as a legitimate response?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2023, 12:59:28 PM »
However, they did mention that Gaza was one of the most densely populated areas in the world. I would imagine that one of their journalists would say that this itself is sufficient to mention. Now I might well be putting words into their mouths, but what would you think of that as a legitimate response?
This is a talking point, not a fact.

Gaza City is actually the 63rd most densely populated urban area in the world.

You'd think reporters could at least do the barest amount of research.

Hamas chooses to fight amongst civilians. They are actually preventing civilians from leaving the war zone. This is a war crime. I would think that "reporters" would find this a fact worth mentioning. 

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2023, 02:03:40 PM »
This is a talking point, not a fact.

Gaza City is actually the 63rd most densely populated urban area in the world.

You'd think reporters could at least do the barest amount of research.

Hamas chooses to fight amongst civilians. They are actually preventing civilians from leaving the war zone. This is a war crime. I would think that "reporters" would find this a fact worth mentioning.

Not to be an elbowing Earl, but by definition "urban area" is cities, towns and suburbs. There are many millions of urban areas or in the world, when given that context, being 63rd on a list of millions you can be rightly called one of the "most" and it's not hyperbole, exaggeration or spin at all. I think you did the barest research, but fell into the trap of failing to contextualize a statistic that you found. It is easy to do that so i'm not making fun of you or anything, but it does illustrate one of the flaws of believing that any of us are especially good at agenda detection much less able to use it to parse the truth. 

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2023, 02:12:15 PM »
Not to be an elbowing Earl
 It is easy to do that so i'm not making fun of you or anything, but it does illustrate one of the flaws of believing that any of us are especially good at agenda detection much less able to use it to parse the truth.
"Agenda detection"? I never said there was an agenda. You added that. My complaint is the rank ignorance among those individuals whose job it is to tell us what's happening. 

When reporters say "Gaza is one of the most densely populated areas in the world" (your words) it sounds much more serious than "It's the 63rd most densely populated urban area in the world," which is not only more accurate but also isn't shielding Hamas. "Israel shouldn't be bombing Gaza because it's densely populated" while ignoring (as you have!) that Hamas is hiding behind civilians. As I have said, several times, this is a war crime. Neither you nor the "reporters" are facing this fact. 

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2023, 02:14:42 PM »
Dude
( Oscar)

Does your crap ever stink or are you always the smartest condescending know it all in the room?

Or do you suffer from such narcissistic tendencies that you can’t ever have just a normal conversation without pointing out your moral and intellectual superiority?

You are clearly an intelligent guy but I think I’m done with your threads as your style is simply like someone playing a G string on an out of tune violin over and over and over and over and over and over…

I understand my lack of sophistication and general lack of give a damn as to such erudite conversations, so either be offended or not if I simply bow out of further conversations with you.

I bow to your stunning intellect and savior faire.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2023, 02:46:04 PM »
Not to be an elbowing Earl
 It is easy to do that so i'm not making fun of you or anything, but it does illustrate one of the flaws of believing that any of us are especially good at agenda detection much less able to use it to parse the truth.
"Agenda detection"? I never said there was an agenda. You added that. My complaint is the rank ignorance among those individuals whose job it is to tell us what's happening. 

When reporters say "Gaza is one of the most densely populated areas in the world" (your words) it sounds much more serious than "It's the 63rd most densely populated urban area in the world," which is not only more accurate but also isn't shielding Hamas. "Israel shouldn't be bombing Gaza because it's densely populated" while ignoring (as you have!) that Hamas is hiding behind civilians. As I have said, several times, this is a war crime. Neither you nor the "reporters" are facing this fact.

Dang it, I really was trying to avoid assuming what people meant to say as opposed to what they actually said so that I wouldn't get caught out like this again. However it does appear from this post that you believe that the wording had the same effect as one that intentionally provided cover to Hamas, though out of ignorance in your opinion not malice or anything agentive. The statement itself is accurate, it is 63rd on a list of millions making it one of the most densely populated urban areas of all urban areas. How serious that is is something that can be debated I suppose, but its "most-ness" is not up for debate. I had a single critique of your post, I see no reason why the fact that I didn't bring up well known tactics of terrorists would be necessary or reasonable or expected because it is entirely irrelevant to my point. I think Hamas is mean guys like the joker or voldemort, but that doesn't change the fact that Gaza is one of the most densely populated urban areas in the world. How is what you are doing not simply attempting to contextualize a statistical fact using emotional or ethical considerations in order to justify the military agenda of Israel?

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2023, 03:08:11 PM »
For the record, the BBC article in question is this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44124396

As this is Newsbeat, they may have been painstakingly trying to be as balanced as possible as those articles are aimed more at children in secondary school. A history teacher attempting to avoid any accusation of bias might point to one of these as background reading.

Personally, I thought they did a good job of the article.
What are your thoughts?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2023, 03:14:18 PM »
How is what you are doing not simply attempting to contextualize a statistical fact using emotional or ethical considerations in order to justify the military agenda of Israel?
"Military agenda of Israel"? What on earth are you talking about?!

The government of Gaza, a terrorist group known as Hamas, has a genocidal agenda of the destruction of Israel via Jihad and the murder of every Jew in the world. They're not shy about it, they're quite proud. It's in their Charter.

Last week, they carried out an attack that actualized those beliefs. They murdered more than 1,200 Israelis, nearly all civilians. They tortured people before killing them, shooting them, stabbing them, setting them on fire, gang raping them, and then abducting more than 100 back to Gaza.

Now that they're safely back on their home turf, they're hiding behind civilians, in residential neighborhoods, in schools, in hospitals, while preventing civilians from leaving, all in violation of societal norms and the laws of war.

You refuse to admit that they're committing war crimes, and instead trivialize what they did by comparing them to fictitious villains. (A better comparison would be the Nazis, but even that's incomplete- the Nazis tried to hide their crimes. Hamas recorded them and shared them to the world.)

The most eye opening thing going on that's taking place all over the world is the sickness of the "international left", who for reasons known only to themselves, are siding with Hamas. The lunatic genocidal terrorist group.

And you have the nerve to talk to me about "The military agenda of Israel"?

What the hell is the matter with you? Seriously.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2023, 03:16:21 PM »
What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that you may claim to be a Christian, but you actually have no idea what God expects of humanity.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2023, 03:35:21 PM »
I don't know if you have noticed this Ferris, but I am not a Christian.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2023, 03:37:43 PM »
I don't know if you have noticed this Ferris, but I am not a Christian.
Well that explains your total lack of morality and ethics.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris