Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Ten criteria  (Read 1077 times)

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Ten criteria
« on: September 10, 2023, 12:16:47 PM »
Would any Christian here assert that their version of Christianity is in agreement with the following ten statements?

1) Intercessory prayer does not work.
2) All phenomena described as 'signs and wonders' can be explained without any need for the supernatural.
3) There is no such thing as 'the pure message of the Bible alone'.
4) There is no evidence for life after death.
5) Evolution is true, is supported by evidence and currently has no scientific rival.
6) There is no such thing as a moral act which can only be performed by someone with a religious faith.
7) Answering a different question from the one someone has asked is not the same as answering the question they have asked.
8 ) Being older than someone is not a factor in determining whether a statement is true and neither is the number of people who believe in the statement.
9) The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
10) Combining several arguments that do not work does not create one argument that works.

I have definitely met Christians who agree with up to nine of these, but I am not sure I have met one who agrees with all ten.

If you agree with all ten, is your version of Christianity one which you would attempt to persuade an interested sceptic to find convincing?

Edited to remove that pointless yellow face that the number 8 turned into.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Ten criteria
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 02:33:50 PM »
Do you have a point?

We are not called to convince the skeptic

We are called to speak truth.

The Holy Spirit all

What the skeptic does with truth and the Holy Spirit is none of my business

You seem to have a purported solution in search of a problem
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 03:35:39 PM »
I'm steering clear of straw men or tarring people with the same brush.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 06:36:12 PM »
Would any Christian here assert that their version of Christianity is in agreement with the following ten statements?

2) All phenomena described as 'signs and wonders' can be explained without any need for the supernatural.
3) There is no such thing as 'the pure message of the Bible alone'.
4) There is no evidence for life after death.
5) Evolution is true, is supported by evidence and currently has no scientific rival.
6) There is no such thing as a moral act which can only be performed by someone with a religious faith.
7) Answering a different question from the one someone has asked is not the same as answering the question they have asked.
8 ) Being older than someone is not a factor in determining whether a statement is true and neither is the number of people who believe in the statement.
9) The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
10) Combining several arguments that do not work does not create one argument that works.

I have definitely met Christians who agree with up to nine of these, but I am not sure I have met one who agrees with all ten.

If you agree with all ten, is your version of Christianity one which you would attempt to persuade an interested sceptic to find convincing?

Edited to remove that pointless yellow face that the number 8 turned into.

What kind of sceptic, and why the repeated interest in persuasion?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 06:46:00 PM »

Let's arbitrarily separate the Christians between those who find the idea that God is an alien being external to our very reality offensive and those who don't.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 07:02:02 PM »

The reality is there will be skeptics on both ends of your first point.

For those who have prayed in the position of intersession, they will be skeptical that such prayer does not work.

For those who don't pray in the position of intersession, they will be skeptical that such prayer does work.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 06:31:45 AM »
There are various groups of Christians when it comes to their attitudes towards sceptics.

One group makes no attempt to persuade anyone to become Christians.
Another uses appeals for occult knowledge, e.g. the Charismatic movement.
Another attempts to present a rational argument for at least part of Christianity's truth claims.

It is this last one which I am interested in. Some within this group present farcically ridiculous arguments. Having said that, they are not representative of all Christians. For example, the fact that some Christians present the nonsense of creationism does not mean that it is necessary to be a creationist in order to be a Christian, only that you need to be one in order to be their type of Christian.

I'm wondering if any Christians, of the type who seek converts, have a version of the faith in which none of the ten statements is at odds with their beliefs in any way.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 06:41:09 AM »
Lots of presuppositions in your  thoughts.

The fact that you call creationism "nonsense" just alienated you from a vast slice of believers in Jesus.  And your attempt to link "occult knowledge" to the Charismatic movement is equally offensive.

You seem to fundamentally lack understanding of what Christian witness is.

Christians are called to proclaim the truth of Jesus.  Christianity is not a debate club, or a sales force, even if some in the faith have that same misunderstanding.  Christians are called to simply proclaim the truth of who Jesus is, and to be eyewitnesses of the way in which faith has changed their lives.  Nothing more.  The onus is then on the listener to respond either in faith or in rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit.

So, to put it not so subtly, no one cares about your strawmen.

question:  Are you a follower of Jesus?
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 08:53:53 AM »
You say that Christianity is not a debate club. Your version of it may not be. I am asking about the versions that are.

I'm interested to know how big you think 'vast' is, by the way.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 11:03:45 AM »

Rev 3:20 - Behold, I [Jesus] stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

When you have opened the door and experienced the above promise, you don't believe any longer, you know. And the 10 questions you raised are irrelevant.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 11:07:17 AM »
You say that Christianity is not a debate club. Your version of it may not be. I am asking about the versions that are.

Why are you asking people here to justify versions of Christianity that they do not ascribe to? This whole discussion is bizarre.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 11:48:52 AM »
I don't know if you have noticed this, but the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread is in the form of a polar question.

That should answer yours.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 01:27:15 PM »
I don't know if you have noticed this, but the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread is in the form of a polar question.

That should answer yours.

Again, to what end? If someone who subscribes to all 10 points and would be the sort of person to try to persuade another, what would be the point being made here?

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 04:51:41 AM »
A person who is interested in answering the question is free to answer the question.
A person who is not interested in answering the question is free to ignore it.

This silly Christian game of perpetually asking why the question is being asked is something I have no interest in, however.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 05:11:29 AM »
Oh cool. Well, if "so where is this going?" doesn't interest you, and the thread doesn't interest me, I guess we can wrap this up.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris