Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?  (Read 4044 times)

Rebecca

• View Profile
Re: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2023, 02:48:56 PM »
Having never looked into anything about Christian Nationalism I know nothing about it as a movement or political entity. I would not belong to such a group. I guess a good term to describe what i am posting about is growing the Body of Christ which IMO will saturate God's earth. 

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2023, 02:52:43 PM »
In Exodus, Israel is following God's instruction. In 1 Samuel, Israel explicitly rejected God and demanded an earthly king.
The issue wasn't in wanting an earthly king. Deuteronomy 17 specifically addresses this:

When you come to the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, ‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ you may indeed set a king over you whom the Lord your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you.

And there are even special laws, that only apply to a king:

“And when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved by the Levitical priests.  And it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them,  that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left, so that he may continue long in his kingdom, he and his children, in Israel.

The issue was that they asked for a king before God was ready to provide.

The book of Judges says multiple times that it was problematic that the country had no king:

In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes. (Judges 17 and 21)

And no king means no royal line. No conquests of king David, no Temple built by king Solomon. No royal line also means no messiah.

That's right, yes. I was more concerned with the rejection than the particulars of it being over a king. (Israel wanted a King too early; certain Christians want theocracy too early.)

I never called for a Christian theocracy. I pointed out two things: That Israel did have a theocracy (and will again!); and that people of faith should vote for candidates that reflect their values.

Christ's rule is also a theocracy, and I don't have a problem with that. It's the "in the meantime" theocracies that I take issue with. But also, I was replying to Rebecca and I'm not sure if wires got crossed somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:56:27 PM by Athanasius »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2023, 02:56:25 PM »
It's the "in the meantime" theocracies that I take issue with.
Oh, no argument. The only theocracy worth following (that wasn't in biblical times of course) will be in the messianic era. On this we can wholeheartedly agree.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2023, 03:13:22 PM »
How could a Christian theocracy be inappropriate?

Because it's not possible to have a truly Christian theocracy prior to the return of Christ. History demonstrates this over, and over, and over again. Heck, Christians can't even organise themselves on Twitter.

Besides, I'd be among the first stoned, so I have a personal interest in a Christian theocracy not happening.
Well said and sadly funny as all get out  ;D... but i believe we can unite in Him. Over looking dumb contentions we have with each other not looking at our differences but looking to Him our Deliver ,Salvation, King, Lord.etc

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »
How could a Christian theocracy be inappropriate?

Because it's not possible to have a truly Christian theocracy prior to the return of Christ. History demonstrates this over, and over, and over again. Heck, Christians can't even organise themselves on Twitter.

Besides, I'd be among the first stoned, so I have a personal interest in a Christian theocracy not happening.
Well said and sadly funny as all get out  ;D... but i believe we can unite in Him. Over looking dumb contentions we have with each other not looking at our differences but looking to Him our Deliver ,Salvation, King, Lord.etc

We can and we will -- just not in this age.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2023, 04:14:36 PM »
i believe we can unite in Him.
You guys can't even unite on this message board.  :o

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »
When was the last time Judaism was in total agreement?
We people are a real mess across the board.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2023, 04:52:40 PM »
Well, yeah. There is that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:54:34 PM by IMINXTC »

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2023, 05:42:09 PM »
Well, yeah. There is that.
When we accept that as "the Truth' what are we saying about the prayer Of Jesus in John 17?  Could, would, should  His prayer not be answered in the affirmative.  Our pride often gets the better of us.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2023, 07:24:29 PM »
I have no illusions of a Jewish theocracy prior to the messianic era. You think Christians can unite. I'm skeptical.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2023, 07:43:53 PM »
I have no illusions of a Jewish theocracy prior to the messianic era. You think Christians can unite. I'm skeptical.
If we could take our eyes off each other and look to Jesus instead, yes we could. Staying within the bounds of Christianity while embracing our differences we could but we are prideful.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2023, 08:14:16 PM »
If we could take our eyes off each other and look to Jesus instead, yes we could. Staying within the bounds of Christianity while embracing our differences we could but we are prideful.
Ehhh maybe. But you're discounting human nature. Different people have different ideas of Who God is and what He is like. Even in the same religion.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2023, 09:09:40 PM »
Throughout recorded history, man has proven himself a poor steward of what God has entrusted to him, and incapable of self-governance without discord, malevolence and corruption. But in the coming messianic kingdom, all the Lord's people will be united as one, and finally enjoy a reign of righteousness, peace, justice, and tranquility.   
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2023, 09:21:29 PM »
But in the coming messianic kingdom, all the Lord's people will be united as one, and finally enjoy a reign of righteousness, peace, justice, and tranquility.
From a Jewish prayer said thrice daily-

We put our hope in You, O Lord our God, to soon see the glory of Your strength, to remove all idols from the Earth, and to completely cut off all false gods; to repair the world, under Your rule. And all living flesh will call Your name, and for all the wicked of the Earth will turn to You. May all the world’s inhabitants recognize and know that to You every knee must bend and every tongue must swear loyalty. Before You, O Lord, our God, may all bow down, and give honor to Your precious name, and may all take upon themselves the yoke of Your rule. And may You reign over them soon and forever and always. Because all rule is Yours alone, and You will rule in honor forever and ever. As it is written in Your Torah: “The Lord will reign forever and ever.” And it is said: “The Lord will be Ruler over the whole Earth, and on that day, God will be One, and God’s name will be One.

teddyv

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2023, 06:41:08 PM »
We can't even decide on what the core tenets of Christianity is.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris