Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?  (Read 4043 times)

Rebecca

• View Profile
Re: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 11:41:03 AM »
Why divide God's people? We agree on many points.

Gal_3:7  Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
Gal_3:29  And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

1Pe 2:7  Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 
1Pe 2:8  And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. 
1Pe 2:9  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 
1Pe 2:10  Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Exo 19:5  Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Exo_19:6  And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 11:46:11 AM »
There is now, and there has only always been, one "people of God."  Not Jews, not Gentiles, but those that believe and obey God by faith.

The nation of Israel in the Old Testament had a specific and singular purpose;  to protect and be the bloodline through which Messiah would come.  The "people of God" existed long before Abraham and long after the "nation" was scattered in 70 A.D.

That being said, the thread is about "Christian Nationalism," and saying that someone is of "the people of God" is not the same as saying there is an earthly kingdom of God, when Jesus was absolutely against that.

The people of God exist under every form of government on the planet, including under North Korean dictatorship, Chinese oppression, or United States dystopianism.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 11:49:23 AM »
A king is not the only form of government.  We are God's people.

Exo 18:13  And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people: and the people stood by Moses from the morning unto the evening. ....

Exo 18:18  Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone.
Exo 18:19  Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God:
Exo 18:20  And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.
Exo 18:21  Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens:
Exo 18:22  And let them judge the people at all seasons: and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge: so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear the burden with thee.
Exo 18:23  If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee so, then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people shall also go to their place in peace.
Exo 18:24  So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law, and did all that he had said.
Exo 18:25  And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people, rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.
Exo 18:26  And they judged the people at all seasons: the hard causes they brought unto Moses, but every small matter they judged themselves.

In Exodus, Israel is following God's instruction. In 1 Samuel, Israel explicitly rejected God and demanded an earthly king. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Of course, there are many forms of government. What does that have to do with the inappropriateness of Christian theocracy?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 12:21:17 PM »
In Exodus, Israel is following God's instruction. In 1 Samuel, Israel explicitly rejected God and demanded an earthly king.
The issue wasn't in wanting an earthly king. Deuteronomy 17 specifically addresses this:

When you come to the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, ‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ you may indeed set a king over you whom the Lord your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you.

And there are even special laws, that only apply to a king:

“And when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved by the Levitical priests.  And it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them,  that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left, so that he may continue long in his kingdom, he and his children, in Israel.

The issue was that they asked for a king before God was ready to provide.

The book of Judges says multiple times that it was problematic that the country had no king:

In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes. (Judges 17 and 21)

And no king means no royal line. No conquests of king David, no Temple built by king Solomon. No royal line also means no messiah.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Of course, there are many forms of government. What does that have to do with the inappropriateness of Christian theocracy?
I never called for a Christian theocracy. I pointed out two things: That Israel did have a theocracy (and will again!); and that people of faith should vote for candidates that reflect their values.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:24:40 PM by Fenris »

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
How could a Christian theocracy be inappropriate?
Using the term Christian in the most Christian way possible. Not christian in name only.
I dont remember when Israel became a state, i was 2. Many Christians were surprised The Lord did not return then . On to 7 years later the day of rest. how about 8 the number of new beginnings.  I do remember the family talk from the mid 50s . The Christian circles around were consumed with rapture. Mom and Dad talking ... Jesus will return soonso the boys (my younger brothers) will not be needing higher education. Should the Lord tarry the girls will marry. Christians pulled out of public office waiting for rapture . Look at what we have today? As Christians we should be outstanding citizens, if God calls any of us to 'public' office we should obey. 
The parable of Luke 19 .. tells us to occupy. Occupying is not waiting but being busy. Understanding  first being busy with what we tend to call the Lord's work. There are other things , to be done, some as simple as washing dishes others tons more complicated. Not unlike owning and operating this forum.  Raising kids, teaching, medicine . Who among us would not want a doctor who sincerely prays in the name of Jesus  before surgery?  Why not a school board member who does the same? 

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 12:54:20 PM »
There is now, and there has only always been, one "people of God."  Not Jews, not Gentiles, but those that believe and obey God by faith.

The nation of Israel in the Old Testament had a specific and singular purpose;  to protect and be the bloodline through which Messiah would come.  The "people of God" existed long before Abraham and long after the "nation" was scattered in 70 A.D.

That being said, the thread is about "Christian Nationalism," and saying that someone is of "the people of God" is not the same as saying there is an earthly kingdom of God, when Jesus was absolutely against that.

The people of God exist under every form of government on the planet, including under North Korean dictatorship, Chinese oppression, or United States dystopianism.
Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2023, 12:59:21 PM »

Agree for the most part.   The Word tells us the Kingdom of God is righteousness peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. He sent the Holy Ghost to those of us on earth. How could He be  absolutely against that?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2023, 01:05:47 PM »
As Christians we should be outstanding citizens, if God calls any of us to 'public' office we should obey.

Agree! Jeremiah 29:7 ... seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2023, 01:23:39 PM »
The often invoked, decades old (and questionable) mantra
that America was founded on Christian principles flies in the face of both historical reality and the Constution, but has been the rationale behind many efforts to establish supposed Christian tenets as law.
The Christian principle is actually Christ and His salvation.

Nowhere is the Church commanded to seek rulership of the secular wiorld, while efforts to preserve Christan "culture" is commendable, and needful.
A large contingent of politicized American voters are rallying behind a move to disband the constitution in favor of the establishment of  humanly devised Church laws.
Danger!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 01:54:16 PM by IMINXTC »

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2023, 02:10:29 PM »
Same way I know He doesn’t want a theocracy

There is no problem with Christians in secular government but God has no thoughts of a theocracy now
When did He tell you that?
Not thinking of a theocracy by force but by growing Romans 14:17

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2023, 02:13:55 PM »

There is no problem with Christians in secular government but God has no thoughts of a theocracy now
"Render unto Ceasar"

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2023, 02:15:44 PM »

“My kingdom is not of this world…”
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 02:37:07 PM »

What do the Scriptures tell us His Kingdom is? They also tell us where His Kingdom is.
 (Rom 14:17)  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Luk_17:21  Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2023, 02:41:54 PM »

When the people saw the sign that Jesus had performed, they began to say, “Truly this is the Prophet who is to come into the world." Then Jesus, realizing that they were about to come and make Him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by Himself. (John 6:14-15)
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
How could a Christian theocracy be inappropriate?

Because it's not possible to have a truly Christian theocracy prior to the return of Christ. History demonstrates this over, and over, and over again. Heck, Christians can't even organise themselves on Twitter.

Besides, I'd be among the first stoned, so I have a personal interest in a Christian theocracy not happening.

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris