Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Is anything worth talking about?  (Read 2677 times)

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
Is anything worth talking about?
« on: April 01, 2023, 02:58:05 PM »
Could anyone propose an intellectually substantive topic that they would consider worthy of a thorough discussion with a non believer on this board? Any fresh ideas out there?

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
Re: Is anything worth talking about?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 03:16:34 PM »
Do you mean any topic, or a topic related to Christianity that there would be disagreement about (like the historicity of the person of Jesus, or the resurrection, etc.)?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »
Do you mean any topic, or a topic related to Christianity that there would be disagreement about (like the historicity of the person of Jesus, or the resurrection, etc.)?

I mean, I'd prefer that it had at least some tenuous relationship with some aspect of a Christian worldview...But like if you want to propose some broader topic that might reveal something that might be peculiar to a conversation between a believer and a non believer then I think that fits the spirit of the request.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 05:27:55 PM »

I mean, I'd prefer that it had at least some tenuous relationship with some aspect of a Christian worldview...But like if you want to propose some broader topic that might reveal something that might be peculiar to a conversation between a believer and a non believer then I think that fits the spirit of the request.

To be honest, I'm mostly navigating the dissonance of dysphoria and accepting - acquiescing? succumbing? - to my present reality. We could talk about that if you like since that's definitely at least tenuously related to some aspect of a Christian worldview. Beyond that, I'm pretty burned out on the little-c christianity of other little-c christians, who aren't a minority.

When I was younger, I had a dream which, in part, involved me being surrounded by a group of people, all of whom were excited to see each other, expectant, and so on. I was in a crowd that was truly a sea of people, as far as I could tell. But I wasn't excited; I was anxious. I wasn't expectant because I was too focused on finding someone I knew; I was waiting for someone to recognise me. I felt alone and on the outside, in the middle of that group of people. Lately, I've been wondering if that was just how I felt at the time or if that was that and a statement on my future.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 08:15:59 PM »
That’s a statement if everyone’s past and future.

At least in my reality
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 02:06:30 PM »
Speaking of Cahn, guess what video I've been asked to comment on?

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 05:32:11 PM »

To be honest, I'm mostly navigating the dissonance of dysphoria and accepting - acquiescing? succumbing? - to my present reality. We could talk about that if you like since that's definitely at least tenuously related to some aspect of a Christian worldview. Beyond that, I'm pretty burned out on the little-c christianity of other little-c christians, who aren't a minority.

When I was younger, I had a dream which, in part, involved me being surrounded by a group of people, all of whom were excited to see each other, expectant, and so on. I was in a crowd that was truly a sea of people, as far as I could tell. But I wasn't excited; I was anxious. I wasn't expectant because I was too focused on finding someone I knew; I was waiting for someone to recognise me. I felt alone and on the outside, in the middle of that group of people. Lately, I've been wondering if that was just how I felt at the time or if that was that and a statement on my future.

Sure, we can talk about that. I don't know if i'm burnt out on little c chrisianity, honestly i'm not sure what that means, but I do feel like I'd rather talk to and about people than talk about any supernatural stuff. It used to be really fun and interesting to me, but now all I can seem to muster any passion for or about is the people.  So yeah, whats going on with you Athanasius?

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 05:53:51 PM »

Who would ask you to comment on this? I do love to make stuff up and imagine, sometimes I think I could have been quite good at this sort of thing.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 04:24:29 AM »

Who would ask you to comment on this? I do love to make stuff up and imagine, sometimes I think I could have been quite good at this sort of thing.

A missionary who is having difficulty with a pastor who just so loves Cahn.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 06:46:54 AM »
Call him what he is

A deluded fool speaking out of his ass

And not in a good way like balaams donkey

This is the new Christian prophetic Gnosticism
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 09:40:50 AM »
Oh, normally, what I got back with would be considered quite vicious character assassination, except that it only pukes back out what this moron already said.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 02:36:32 PM »
Call him what he is

A deluded fool speaking out of his ass

And not in a good way like balaams donkey

This is the new Christian prophetic Gnosticism

Yes, to me this guy is clearly off on a very imaginative tangent. I can't help but think that this isn't all that different from what i've heard from many other more mainstream Christians. The idea that a spiritual war is raging where actual spirits are influencing actual events and people isn't a particularly unique or new delusion in my expirience. I've never really found a satisfactory answer to the question of what mechanisms are intrinsic to christianity that truly mitigate this sort of flight of fancy. Clearly the bible didn't prevent this guy from becoming convinced that The Enchantress is possessing trans kids and pride parades, and I don't know right off hand what there is in the bible that absolutely precludes such a monster. I know that he may be a lying liar that lies for fun and profit, but I don't see why it is necessarily true that he doesn't pray 500 times a day and recieve words from the spirit or is directed by the spirit to passages that confirm his wild ideas. I know why I can look at that video and immediately identify it as nonsense, and I'd argue that it is the same thing that allows me to draw the same conclusions about what many more normal christians say. What i've never quite wrapped my head around is why some christians would attribute this ability to smell a burro burrito from a mile away to the exact same sort of unreliable spiritual discernment that this guy probably used to "see through" to the true spiritual kaiju battle raging around us every second of every day.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 02:37:45 PM »
Oh, normally, what I got back with would be considered quite vicious character assassination, except that it only pukes back out what this moron already said.

out of curiosity, what is wrong with his character?

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2023, 03:49:05 PM »

He's a charlatan at best. He tickles the ears of Christians who once read 'This Present Darkness' in the 90s and played too much DOOM and Hexen. For Christians who really like him, the best one can do is show the ridiculousness of the 'arguments' and what sort of person would say such things. Addressing the points head-on is an unfortunate red herring that quickly veers off into conspiracy land and no one comes back from that.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 08:03:16 AM »

He's a charlatan at best. He tickles the ears of Christians who once read 'This Present Darkness' in the 90s and played too much DOOM and Hexen. For Christians who really like him, the best one can do is show the ridiculousness of the 'arguments' and what sort of person would say such things. Addressing the points head-on is an unfortunate red herring that quickly veers off into conspiracy land and no one comes back from that.

Well, yeah okay. This is an interesting approach. If you don't mind sharing your response to the person that asked for it then id be interested in reading it.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris