Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Non-negotiables  (Read 1845 times)

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Non-negotiables
« on: March 19, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »
Are there any Christians here who would regard any of the following statements to be absolutely non-negotiable items of the Christian faith?

All three synoptic gospels were independently written, with no copying from either of the other two, by writers named Matthew, Mark and Luke.
The fourth gospel was written by a person called John.
The John who is named as the author of Revelation is the author of the fourth gospel.
The epistle to the Hebrews was written by Paul of Tarsus.
The 53rd chapter of Isaiah, in its original context, is a reference to Messiah.
No writer of the New Testament quotes any part of the Apocrypha.
The postscript to the gospel of Mark is historically accurate.
The section in the fourth gospel about the woman caught in adultery, famed for the 'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone' quote, is historically accurate.
The explicit trinitarian formula found in 1 John was part of the original text.
The order in which the books of the Old Testament appear is the order in which they were written.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Non-negotiables
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 07:58:48 AM »
I don't think any Christian on this entire forum would hold that any of the list are non-negotiable items of the Christian faith.  All of them are statements of someone's interpretation and/or understanding of canonicity, which is not a non-negotiable item of faith.

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No man comes to the Father except through Him.  That's the sole non-negotiable.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 11:21:59 AM »
Are there any Christians here who would regard any of the following statements to be absolutely non-negotiable items of the Christian faith?
You're taking the bizarre approach that Christians are monolithic and all believe the exact same thing for the topics you posted. For example, you cite Isaiah 53. Sure, most Christians believe that it's talking about the messiah. But not all. There are a couple of Christian bibles that commentate that it's referring to national Israel (which is also how Jews see it). But it's not fundamental and therefore not heretical to have a different opinion. And the other topic about the books in the Old Testament. Dude, I'm Jewish and have been studying the Tanach (what you call the " Old Testament") since I could read, and I have no idea of the exact order that they were written in. Nobody does. Who cares? Does it make them any less true or significant?

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm not sure how familiar you are with the difference between starting a sentence with 'Are there' and starting it with 'There are', but you seem to have difficulty in telling them apart.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 02:02:31 PM »
Why are you so argumentative?

What are you afraid of?  Why is your implied faith so angry?
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 02:39:46 PM »
Aha! A gasslighter.

They were around in the nineties too, but we had a different name for them back then.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »
You still aren't making any sense.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm still wondering why you are so argumentative and condescending toward people that you apparently claim to have some affinity toward a shared faith.

Are you going to "instruct" us?
Are you going to "teach us" some special gnostic super-knowledge you have?

I must tell you.  I hope your technique with getting dates in high school was better than your ham-handed approach in starting your inquisition here, or I fear that you would have been at home in a baby blue tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and no carnation for your buttonhole, complaining about why none of the varsity cheerleaders knew what they were missing...

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 02:20:48 PM »
You seem remarkably surprised that people ask questions.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »
I am remarkably surprised that you consider your comments questions… you appear to have a hidden agenda and no one cares to go through round after round of supposed intellectual and philosophical superiority

You are just boring

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 02:42:18 PM »
There is definitely a question mark in the first sentence of my first post in this thread.

As the following statements are related to that question, they can hardly be regarded as comments.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »
As no one here thinks any of the listed items are non-negotiable, should I close the thread before it descends into irrelevancy?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 05:26:17 PM »
As no one here thinks any of the listed items are non-negotiable, should I close the thread before it descends into irrelevancy?

Okay by me. The thread was D.O.A anyway.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 05:54:44 PM »
InB4close

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 08:42:20 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM