Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: what are the "fundamentals" of the faith?  (Read 3156 times)

RandyPNW

• View Profile
what are the "fundamentals" of the faith?
« on: May 26, 2021, 03:11:27 AM »
I'd be curious to hear what others believe the most important fundamental beliefs of Christianity are? Perhaps you believe they're enshrined in the creeds, or in your denominational statement of beliefs? Do you believe different beliefs have been emphasized in different times? For example, we've had emphases in history on justification by faith, baptism by immersion, holiness, Spirit Baptism, etc.

I personally hold to the basic creeds, and do accept that different times required different emphases. The different doctrinal emphases happened in former Christian countries of European extraction. Movement into pagan or non-Christian areas of the world would naturally focus on the means of Salvation--not revival or the renewal of doctrines.

Buckshot

• Howdy
    • View Profile
Re: what are the "fundamentals" of the faith?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
I think today we see the Word is spread into the uttermost parts of the world while it lays dusty on bookshelves in the places that it was sent from. We are in a time when preachers preach on everything but Jesus expectation of following Him in the way we live or His judgement for the wicked. We live in a time of preach/teach what you think/feel with authority instead of humbly admitting we are all learning and need to stay in the Word. Where did the understanding go of, we can know them by their works?
We got a letter at the church about 14 years ago from an organization asking us to take down any crosses at the church and stop talking about blood because it offended people. Maybe that’s what happened, too many churches were worried about offending people so they watered down what they shared so much they had to just stop using scripture.
All that rambling to say, I think we need to stick to teaching the basic truths Jesus taught. Stop looking for something new or trying to make the congregations feel good. People need to feel a sense of unease to have a desire to change. First people need to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. Get into the Word so we know what He said about how to love the Lord first and love our neighbors. If we really love our neighbors we will want to help them find Jesus. It’s hard to show them a better way when we are sounding, living, and acting just like them. We need to be like Christ instead of just wearing Him on our clothes, if that makes sense.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 04:07:46 PM »
That goes beyond what I was asking, but well said! I agree that we need to stick to our roots, to stay true to a fundamental relationship with Christ, coupled with his obedience to the command to genuinely love. I think what has happened in former Christian countries is that there has always been compromise. "Love for your neighbor" was conflated with "tolerance for all religious practices in this Christian society."

Though "tolerance" has a place in Christianity, and sounds "nice," it can also be a compromise with paganism and immorality. It can be an alliance with unjust leaders. Even if our society has different standards of right and wrong, we, as genuine Christians, need to testify to the truth, to true standards of righteousness.

If we are to stay true to "one God," we need to not be afraid of "offending" those who wish to practice their pagan lifestyles in former Christian countries. But if we are in an ex-Christian country, then I suppose we have no choice to but tolerate what the majority and the leadership choose to impose. I'll keep my set of moral requirements, and they can be judged for the leniency towards sin they exhibit.

janarbeth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 08:48:02 PM »
For me, the fundamentals of the faith are the core beliefs that define Christianity, including the belief in one God who created and loves us, the salvation offered through Jesus Christ, the power of prayer and the Holy Spirit, and the importance of living a life of love and service to others.

madhossion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 09:02:22 PM »
I believe the fundamentals of the Christian faith are centered around belief in the Trinity, the divinity and humanity of Jesus Christ, his death and resurrection for our salvation, and the necessity of faith in him for eternal life. These core beliefs are found in the historic creeds of the Christian church and have been emphasized throughout Christian history. While different denominations may emphasize certain beliefs more than others, these fundamentals serve as the foundation of the Christian faith. As we engage with people from different cultures and backgrounds, it's important to focus on these essentials while also being open to learning from others and understanding their perspectives.

Edit: link removed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 04:32:09 AM by Athanasius »

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 01:01:08 PM »
For me, the fundamentals of the faith are the core beliefs that define Christianity, including the belief in one God who created and loves us, the salvation offered through Jesus Christ, the power of prayer and the Holy Spirit, and the importance of living a life of love and service to others.
This is how I understand Christianity.

gordon7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 05:38:31 AM »
What are the fundamentals of Christianity, to believe there i one God ?

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

No, that was replied against vain man.

How about, God who loves us, the salvation of Christ and us living a life of love ?

No, again that is not what is testified for us, but the Spirit is, of Christ to dwell in pour hearts by faith, which is us being rooted and grounded in love, to understand with all saints what is the love of Christ, which passes knowledge. ( to be filled with all the fulness of God.)

The peace of God which passes all understanding, shall keep our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Now pay attention ( everybody who loves discussions.) whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, ( the Apostle Paul, Apostle to the Gentiles for the faith of Jesus Christ.) do: and the God of peace shall be with you. ( the God of peace passes all understanding, and if you of the forums are discussing fundamentals, it is in deed and in truth, not in word or tongue as people provide of themselves.)

Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Ezekiel 33:31 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 07:22:50 AM »
Now pay attention ( everybody who loves discussions.)

Trying to make new friends?

gordon7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 03:32:26 PM »
Now pay attention ( everybody who loves discussions.)

Trying to make new friends?

Proverbs 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

Luke 22:47 And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him.
48 But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?

How many Judas's on the forum, how many friends with "kisses" and flatterers

Proverbs 26:28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

Proverbs 27:5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.

Psalm 141:5 Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities.

Psalm 28:3 Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.

Psalm 55:21 The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »
Seems like a 'no'.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

gordon7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 04:06:24 PM »
Seems like a 'no'.

There is a friend that is closer than a brother.

Christ called us friends, as He made known to us all things of the Father.

We are made one with Christ, that is why He is not ashamed to call us brothers. ( Christ became the friend that is closer than a brother, by being one with us.)

Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Hebrews 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 04:08:25 PM »
Seems like a 'no'.
I mean if he were a bot that simply posted bible verses at random, how would his posts look any different?

gordon7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 04:15:58 PM »
Seems like a 'no'.
I mean if he were a bot that simply posted bible verses at random, how would his posts look any different?

1 Thessalonians 2:14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:
15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:
16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 04:16:54 PM »
Seems like a 'no'.

1 Thessalonians 2:14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:
15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:
16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.
I rest my case. I mean, case closed.

gordon7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 04:19:57 PM »
Seems like a 'no'.

I rest my case. I mean, case closed.

2 Chronicles 36:15 And the Lord God of their fathers sent to them by his messengers, rising up betimes, and sending; because he had compassion on his people, and on his dwelling place:
16 But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the Lord arose against his people, till there was no remedy.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris