Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Ever-present remnants of the past  (Read 1088 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
Ever-present remnants of the past
« on: September 20, 2023, 05:15:54 PM »
Ever noticed how steeped we are in the remnants of paganism? It's all around us and permeates our culture at every level in our daily lives. Consider for instance, the names of the days of the week are all of pagan origin. Monday is "moon's day", derived from the German monandaeg--a day originally dedicated to worship of the moon goddess. Tuesday is named for the Germanic god of war Tiu. Wednesday is Wodin's day (Odin) the chief Norse god, Thursday is "Thor's day." Friday is Frigdaeg in old High German, and was named in honor of the goddess Frigg, wife of Odin. Saturday is named for the Roman god Saturn, and Sunday was of course, "sun's day", the day dedicated to the sun deity.

Likewise, eight of the nine planets in our solar system (if you count Pluto), are named in honor of either a Greek or Roman deity--earth being the sole exception. Holidays are not exempt. Christmas and Easter, although repurposed for Christian use, both have pagan roots. Santa and his elves, decorating a tree, burning of the Yule log, kissing under the mistletoe, and even exchanging gifts are all traditions of pagan origin. Likewise, Easter comes from the name of the goddess of Spring, Eostre, and both the rabbit and eggs associated with Easter are symbolic of the fertility and regeneration she embodied. Halloween of course (for which stores begin decorating earlier every year), has its roots in the ancient pagan Druids. Americans today spend over 6 billion dollars a year on the trappings of Halloween, second only to Christmas. Yet, despite its macabre origins, free candy ensures costumed kids will continue the tradition for generations to come.

Remnants of paganism are also found in occult symbols hiding in plain sight. Despite symbolizing the sacrificial death of Christ, the cherished cross worn as jewelry and adorning church steeples and altars was oiginally a "T", representing the fertility god Tammuz. The same pagan deity for which the fourth month of the Hebrew calendar is named. Likewise, the star of David--which has supplanted the menorah as Israel's most iconic emblem--was known as an occult star symbol in many cultures before becoming known as the star of David. The Washington monument is the equivalent of an Egyptian obelisk, the statue of justice is based on the Roman goddess Justitia, and the design of the revered statue of Liberty was inspired by the goddess Liberta.

Pagan roots can be found even in many words we commonly use. "Solar" for example, comes from the Roman sun god Sol, and "lunar" from his goddess counterpart Luna. The common word "cereal," derives from Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture, grain crops and fertility. From the Greek god Chronos, we get words like "chronicle", "chronology". and "chronograph". "Hades" is the namesake of the Greek god of the dead/king of the underworld. Likewise, words such as "atlas", "chaos", "echo", "nemesis", and "narcissist" all derive from the names of pagan deities.

Many modern superstitions, their origins obscured by time, are associated with elements of paganism. Many people are wary of Friday the thirteenth (and the number 13 itself) without really knowing why. They view walking under a ladder, allowing a black cat to cross their path, or breaking a mirror as harbingers of bad luck or misfortune. Such ideas are still retained today, passed down through the generations as lore, despite their origins being obscured by their ancient past.

Many of the simple customs in our culture hearken back to a forgotten past. The common practice of saying, "God bless you" when someone sneezes dates back to a time when it was believed a sneeze could expel the soul, and invoking God's blessing kept it safe from the Devil's grasp. The tradition of knocking on wood that's still with us originated centuries ago with knocking on trees to seek or thank the deities who resided therein for their favor. After spilling salt, some people still toss a pinch of it over the shoulder, unaware the practice originated with driving away evil spirits attracted by spilled salt.

These vestiges of paganism are a pervasive presence all around us and are a reminder of a more primitive era, persistent relics of the past that predate the enlightenment of modern human minds. And yet they remain all around us, and are part of our day to day existence--whether we acknowledge, ignore, or tolerate them. Anyway, this was just an observation I thought some might find of interest.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Ever-present remnants of the past
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 06:43:56 AM »
Perhaps when Christian nationalism finally succeeds we can change the names of the days of the week to JesusDay1, JesusDay2, JesusDay3, JesusDay4, JesusDay5, JesusDay6, and GodRestDay.

We can change the names of the months to be one for each apostle

All wrapped in the American flag, of course...

:o
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 11:09:09 AM »
These vestiges of paganism are a pervasive presence all around us and are a reminder of a more primitive era
And yet, there's no practical ramifications. Almost nobody knows of these pagan influences and they're not used in any way as pagan influences. They're just "what everyone says and does".

Despite symbolizing the sacrificial death of Christ
Other pagan influences include the Christmas tree and rabbit and eggs at Easter. But so what?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 11:29:15 AM »
Perhaps when Christian nationalism finally succeeds
I can barely contain my excitement.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »
Perhaps when Christian nationalism finally succeeds
I can barely contain my excitement.

You spelled the last word wrong!!!

😳
🫢
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 12:34:29 PM »
And yet, there's no practical ramifications. Almost nobody knows of these pagan influences and they're not used in any way as pagan influences. They're just "what everyone says and does".

That was sort of the point. We accept the paganism as the norm without giving it any thought. During the first creation day, God dispelled the prevailing darkness with light, driving it into the shadows. The day God first spoke to Abram, there was only idolatry and false gods in Ur and the rest of the world, and that revelation of himself was light shining in spiritual darkness. And it will be the dawn of a new era when the Lord's king finally begins to reign over the earth from Jerusalem. All vestiges of mankind's fallible and corrupt self-governance will vanish like a mist--taking with it all traces of paganism, atheism, and unsound notions about theology. Just making an observation. <shrug>
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 12:34:47 PM »
HEAD KNIGHT: Don't say that word.

ARTHUR: What word?

HEAD KNIGHT: I cannot tell, suffice to say is one of the words the Knights of Ni cannot hear.

ARTHUR: How can we not say the word if you don't tell us what it is?

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh! Aaaugh!

ARTHUR: What, `is'?

HEAD KNIGHT: No, not `is' -- we couldn't get vary far in life not saying `is'.

BEDEVERE: My liege, it's Sir Robin!

MINSTREL (singing): Packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing about
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge

ARTHUR: Oh, Robin!

ROBIN: My liege! It's good to see you!

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh!

HEAD KNIGHT: He said the word!

ARTHUR: Surely you've not given up your quest for the Holy Grail?

MINSTREL (singing): He is sneaking away and buggering up--

ROBIN: Shut up! No, no no-- far from it.

HEAD KNIGHT: He said the word again!

ROBIN: I was looking for it.

ROBIN: Uh, here, here in this forest.

ARTHUR: No, it is far from--

HEAD KNIGHT: Aaaaugh! Stop saying the word!

ARTHUR: Oh, stop it!

HEAD KNIGHT: Oh! He said it again!

ARTHUR: Patsy!

HEAD KNIGHT: Aaugh! I said it! I said it! Ooh! I said it again!

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 12:41:01 PM »
That was sort of the point. We accept the paganism as the norm without giving it any thought.
We're not accepting paganism. Calling the fifth day of the week "Thursday" doesn't mean that we ascribe to the pagan idea that the Norse God named Thor exists. It's just the name of a day.

Are you aware of the origin of my user name? I assure you I am not a pagan.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 02:57:49 PM »
HEAD KNIGHT: Don't say that word.

ARTHUR: What word?

HEAD KNIGHT: I cannot tell, suffice to say is one of the words the Knights of Ni cannot hear.

ARTHUR: How can we not say the word if you don't tell us what it is?

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh! Aaaugh!

ARTHUR: What, `is'?

HEAD KNIGHT: No, not `is' -- we couldn't get vary far in life not saying `is'.

BEDEVERE: My liege, it's Sir Robin!

MINSTREL (singing): Packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing about
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge

ARTHUR: Oh, Robin!

ROBIN: My liege! It's good to see you!

HEAD KNIGHT: He said the word!

ARTHUR: Surely you've not given up your quest for the Holy Grail?

MINSTREL (singing): He is sneaking away and buggering up--

ROBIN: Shut up! No, no no-- far from it.

HEAD KNIGHT: He said the word again!

ROBIN: I was looking for it.

ROBIN: Uh, here, here in this forest.

ARTHUR: No, it is far from--

HEAD KNIGHT: Aaaaugh! Stop saying the word!

ARTHUR: Oh, stop it!

HEAD KNIGHT: Oh! He said it again!

ARTHUR: Patsy!

HEAD KNIGHT: Aaugh! I said it! I said it! Ooh! I said it again!

Bravo!!! It is apparent that you are a gentleman and a scholar, is it not!!!

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 03:01:27 PM »
Bravo!!! It is apparent that you are a gentleman and a scholar, is it not!!!
Oh no! Now you said it! Now I said it! I said it again!! Aaaaugh!!!!

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 07:42:51 AM »

That was sort of the point. We accept the paganism as the norm without giving it any thought. During the first creation day, God dispelled the prevailing darkness with light, driving it into the shadows. The day God first spoke to Abram, there was only idolatry and false gods in Ur and the rest of the world, and that revelation of himself was light shining in spiritual darkness. And it will be the dawn of a new era when the Lord's king finally begins to reign over the earth from Jerusalem. All vestiges of mankind's fallible and corrupt self-governance will vanish like a mist--taking with it all traces of paganism, atheism, and unsound notions about theology. Just making an observation. <shrug>

It's an observation yes, but only pagans accept paganism. Any vestiges of dead gods from long-gone cultures are exactly that and aren't acceptance on our part.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 11:20:27 AM »
It's an observation yes, but only pagans accept paganism. Any vestiges of dead gods from long-gone cultures are exactly that and aren't acceptance on our part.

You guys are missing my point. By "accepting the paganism", I didn't imply we affirm or embrace it. On the contrary, I meant most people accept the way things are without considering the intrinsic paganism they represent. It recently occurred to me how pervasive the remnants of the pagan past remain today, and commented on that.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 01:36:03 PM »
Oh no I got that. I don't think people are super ignorant of this either.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 01:38:40 PM »
It is what it is, until the day it no longer is...

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2023, 06:35:26 AM »
And then...

"Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the HMS Nike..."

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris