Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: A house on fire  (Read 533 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
A house on fire
« on: August 12, 2023, 12:16:55 PM »
If, late one night, we look out our window and see a neighbor's house on fire, we would not hesitate to call 911 and then rush over and pound on the door to wake them up. We would not worry about them being angry that we roused them from their sleep, as quickly alerting them to the danger is paramount. Warning them is all that matters. Why then, do we hesitate to discuss the topic of salvation with some people? Whether a neighbor, casual acquaintance, or someone we work with, we're concerned they might be offended if we talk about being saved, so we remain silent.

Yet, if we are fearful our neighbors in the burning house might be killed unless we warn them, why are we less assertive when dealing with someone in danger from damnation in the lake of fire? Yes, discretion is sometimes the better part of valor, and it's pointless to cast our pearls before swine. With certain people, we are justifiably reluctant to broach the subject of salvation because we know they will receive our message in a negative way. Yet, at the end of the day, is it not better to risk a bad response then to look over at that person on Judgment day, and know we didn't at least try?
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Re: A house on fire
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 06:11:21 AM »
Isn't there another risk though?

The person you broach the subject with might possibly be better informed than you are. There is a reason evangelists don't make a beeline to theology graduates, for example.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 02:21:04 PM »
Isn't there another risk though?

The person you broach the subject with might possibly be better informed than you are. There is a reason evangelists don't make a beeline to theology graduates, for example.

Well, the obvious caveat is broaching the subject only to individuals you know are not saved (however you may know). While one has to be judicious, in my own personal experience, there are times I'm hesitant to talk to certain individuals I know aren't saved. So, my exhortation concerns me as much as anyone else it may apply to.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 03:08:38 PM »
Lev 17 Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.

On the other hand, Prov 9: Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you.

So, know your audience?

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 03:56:54 PM »
Lev 17 Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.

On the other hand, Prov 9: Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you.

So, know your audience?

Agreed. But on a grander scale, (and appropriated for Christian application), there is the Ezekiel "watchman" principle:

1Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying:    

2"Son of man, speak to the members of your people and say to them: When I bring armed attackers upon a land, and the people of the land take one man from among themselves and appoint him for them as a lookout,           

3And he sees the army coming upon the land, and he sounds the shofar and warns the people,

4And whoever hears the sound of the shofar and does not take heed, and the army comes and takes him, his blood will be upon his own head.   

5He heard the sound of the shofar and did not take heed; his blood will be upon him, for had he taken heed, he would have saved his life.    

6But the lookout-should he see the army coming and not sound the shofar, and the people did not take heed, and an army came and took a soul from them-he was taken for his iniquity, but I shall require his blood from the hand of the lookout.    

7Now you, son of man, I have made you a lookout for the house of Israel, and you will hear a word from My mouth, and you shall warn them from Me.

8When I say of a wicked man, Wicked one, you shall surely die! And you did not speak to warn the wicked man from his way-he is wicked and for his iniquity he will die, but his blood I shall require of your hand.    

9But you-if you warned a wicked man from his way, to repent thereof, and he did not repent of his way-he will die for his iniquity, and you have saved your soul.

This was a message to Ezekiel about his responsibility to warn Israel to turn from wickedness, and his personal accountability if he did not. Yet for me as a Christian, the principle is the same as it relates to the Gospel message. If I see someone unaware of damnation, I am compelled to warn them. If they blow me off, or tell me to mind my own business, then it's a matter between God and them. At least I did my part, and my conscience is clear. But, as you say, be judicious and know your audience.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 07:17:55 PM »
This was a message to Ezekiel about his responsibility to warn Israel to turn from wickedness, and his personal accountability if he did not.
You'll be interested to know that it doesn't apply towards prophets. Every Jew is considered a guardian towards other Jews, and we have both an individual and a communal responsibility to look out for each other especially as sin is concerned.  When it comes to everyone else we're more supposed to lead by example than issue rebukes though.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris