Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Day of the Lord - Joel  (Read 1190 times)

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
Day of the Lord - Joel
« on: March 31, 2022, 02:05:53 PM »
Hi all,

I published the next video in the series "Day of the Lord". Have a watch and let me know what you think. The video is about 31 minutes long, (longer than my typical video) but I hope you will stick with it to the end.

This video examines the first two chapters of Joel's prediction of a day when those living in Israel will be wise to come to the city of Jerusalem. Those who call on the name of the Lord will be saved. Those who remain in Jerusalem will be called "holy."

Title: DOL 03 Joel Has This Ever Happened in Your lifetime?

May the Lord richly bless you.
Video: "The Days of the Son of Man"

RandyPNW

• View Profile
Re: Day of the Lord - Joel
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 01:38:34 AM »
Cady, I also enjoyed this video. You share in such a way that the Scriptures you share minister, with or without your particular spin on them. But I sense a deep compassion in you for the Jewish People, which is something I share with you. So here is my own view of some of these things.

I agree with you that Joel's locust plague was a literal locust plague. I think there was another one like it in the early 1900s.

Joel depicts the locust plague as a judgment of God coming against Israel due to their infidelity and irreligious disposition. They are being called upon by God to reform, to return to religion, to return to righteousness and service to Him.

Certainly this could be viewed as a metaphor for any great plague God brought upon Israel, including the Babylonian Captivity. Indeed it was at the end of that Captivity that Rabbinic Judaism began and Israel was renewed. Finally, in the time of Jesus his apostles received the anointing and call of the Holy Spirit to found the NT Church.

But again, Joel's plague was a literal locust plague, and not the Babylonian Captivity. It symbolized a great judgment from God against the Jewish People, which we could see as culminating at the time of Jesus and in 70 AD, when Rome destroyed the temple and Jerusalem.

In a very real sense that is when the NT "locust plague" began, because Israel seemed cast off by God to show favor to Gentile nations, to give them "their turn," as it were. But again, when this "plague" is over, Israel will be restored.

But the question is, how will Israel be restored in the endtimes? I think a "return to Jerusalem" is OT phraseology for a return to worship of the one true God, something  every Jew was suppose to do to renew their faithfulness to God 3x per year.

So under the Law, a "return to Jerusalem" was quite literal. But in the NT Jesus said worship will not just remain at the temple in Jerusalem, but would evolve into a universal worship across the world. So a "return to Jerusalem" for both the Jew and the non-Jew would be a return to God, and not a literal return to the city of Jerusalem.

Jesus meant that he was the true temple, which the temple in Jerusalem merely symbolized. A "return to Jerusalem," therefore, is a return to Jesus himself. And in the endtimes, Israel must return to Jesus.

I believe in the endtimes God will raise up a strong Christian witness in Israel, in the midst of a nation hostile to it, so that some will be saved. Those who are saved are those who accept Jesus as their Messiah and Savior. They will be saved not from the burning of military warfare, but rather, from eternal death.

But in a very real sense, Israel will be saved in the midst of the judgment that will come. I accept, brother, that the Day of the Lord has a technical eschatological application in many places. And it may include not just the day of Christ's return, but also the things that lead up to that day of judgment. Israel will be judged in that day, but will be plucked, as a remnant, from the fire, so that the nation will survive on and into the Kingdom of God.

That's why the Scriptures say that "today" is the day of Salvation. We can be saved from eternal death now, simply by accepting Jesus as our Lord, and thus obtain his gift of righteousness. This is our "return to Jerusalem." It can happen both for the Jew and for the non-Jew.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 01:42:52 AM by RandyPNW »

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
Re: Day of the Lord - Joel
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 06:02:15 AM »
Cady, I also enjoyed this video. You share in such a way that the Scriptures you share minister, with or without your particular spin on them. But I sense a deep compassion in you for the Jewish People, which is something I share with you. So here is my own view of some of these things.

I agree with you that Joel's locust plague was a literal locust plague. I think there was another one like it in the early 1900s.

Joel depicts the locust plague as a judgment of God coming against Israel due to their infidelity and irreligious disposition. They are being called upon by God to reform, to return to religion, to return to righteousness and service to Him.

Certainly this could be viewed as a metaphor for any great plague God brought upon Israel, including the Babylonian Captivity. Indeed it was at the end of that Captivity that Rabbinic Judaism began and Israel was renewed. Finally, in the time of Jesus his apostles received the anointing and call of the Holy Spirit to found the NT Church.

But again, Joel's plague was a literal locust plague, and not the Babylonian Captivity. It symbolized a great judgment from God against the Jewish People, which we could see as culminating at the time of Jesus and in 70 AD, when Rome destroyed the temple and Jerusalem.

In a very real sense that is when the NT "locust plague" began, because Israel seemed cast off by God to show favor to Gentile nations, to give them "their turn," as it were. But again, when this "plague" is over, Israel will be restored.

But the question is, how will Israel be restored in the endtimes? I think a "return to Jerusalem" is OT phraseology for a return to worship of the one true God, something  every Jew was suppose to do to renew their faithfulness to God 3x per year.

So under the Law, a "return to Jerusalem" was quite literal. But in the NT Jesus said worship will not just remain at the temple in Jerusalem, but would evolve into a universal worship across the world. So a "return to Jerusalem" for both the Jew and the non-Jew would be a return to God, and not a literal return to the city of Jerusalem.

Jesus meant that he was the true temple, which the temple in Jerusalem merely symbolized. A "return to Jerusalem," therefore, is a return to Jesus himself. And in the endtimes, Israel must return to Jesus.

I believe in the endtimes God will raise up a strong Christian witness in Israel, in the midst of a nation hostile to it, so that some will be saved. Those who are saved are those who accept Jesus as their Messiah and Savior. They will be saved not from the burning of military warfare, but rather, from eternal death.

But in a very real sense, Israel will be saved in the midst of the judgment that will come. I accept, brother, that the Day of the Lord has a technical eschatological application in many places. And it may include not just the day of Christ's return, but also the things that lead up to that day of judgment. Israel will be judged in that day, but will be plucked, as a remnant, from the fire, so that the nation will survive on and into the Kingdom of God.

That's why the Scriptures say that "today" is the day of Salvation. We can be saved from eternal death now, simply by accepting Jesus as our Lord, and thus obtain his gift of righteousness. This is our "return to Jerusalem." It can happen both for the Jew and for the non-Jew.

Randy,
Thanks so much for watching the video, and sharing your insight in this passage. I didn't know about the locust plague in the early 1900's. Do you know if that particular plague lasted for three years and involved four different insects?

Perhaps I should point out that my study of Luke 17 had some bearing on my interpretation of Joel chapter one. Remember in my Luke 17 video I proposed that the Olivet discourse can be organized into three "episodes." The first episode is the Jewish/Roman wars, which you mentioned in your previous post. The third episode involves the gathering of Israel to Jerusalem. Both episodes involve a harried escape from danger. Ironically, episode one involves a harried escape FROM Jerusalem; episode three involves a harried escape TO Jerusalem. (assuming I am right of course, I could be wrong. :) )

Episode 1 - escape from Jerusalem. Luke 21:20-21

20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. 21 Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city . . .

Episode 3 - escape from home Luke 17:30-33
30 It will be just the same on the day that the Son of Man is revealed. 31 On that day, the one who is on the housetop and whose goods are in the house must not go down to take them out; and likewise the one who is in the field must not turn back. 32 Remember Lot’s wife. 33 Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.

During Episode one, folks are escaping from Judea into the mountains. By contrast, during episode three folks are escaping from their own homes and farms.

Anyway, thanks for both your encouragement and your fellowship. I don't know if we will ever meet but if not here, then in the air. :)

May the Lord richly bless you.
Video: "The Days of the Son of Man"

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by ProDeo
Today at 09:41:36 AM

Watcha doing? by Athanasius
Today at 07:37:31 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris