Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Day of the Lord - Malachi 4  (Read 2683 times)

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
Day of the Lord - Malachi 4
« on: March 13, 2022, 12:25:38 PM »
Hi all,
Today I just published my new video concerning the day of the Lord. Please watch it and let me know what you think.

This video examines Malachi's prediction of the Day of the Lord and what it implies for the Jewish people living in Israel at the time when these predictions come to pass.

If you are wondering, at the very end of the video the man says, “Halleluiah.”

Title: DOL 02 Day of the Lord Malachi 4

May the Lord richly bless you.
Video: "The Days of the Son of Man"

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
Re: Day of the Lord - Malachi 4
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 05:44:29 PM »
Some folks believe that the Day of the Lord is the day that Jesus returns, but I think that the day of the Lord is a series of events that lead up to the second coming.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 09:24:47 PM »
I don't understand the concept of "preparing for the coming of the messiah". Isn't trusting in God enough?

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 07:34:14 AM »
I don't understand the concept of "preparing for the coming of the messiah". Isn't trusting in God enough?
At times, the Lord tests our faith. He places us in situations that provide the venue and opportunity for us to prove our faith as we place our trust in him.

Sometime in our future, soon I think, the Lord will purge the land of Israel of evil doers. Malachi says, at that time, the evildoer and the arrogant will be burned up like chaff, while the sun rises with healing in it's wings for those who fear the Lord.

Joel says that the priests will blow the shofar, calling the people to Jerusalem for a solemn assembly. Those who make the journey, and come to Jerusalem will survive the fire.

Isaiah calls them "survivors."

In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth will be the pride and the adornment of the survivors of Israel. It will come about that he who is left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy—everyone who is recorded for life in Jerusalem. When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and purged the bloodshed of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and the spirit of burning, then the Lord will create over the whole area of Mount Zion and over her assemblies a cloud by day, even smoke, and the brightness of a flaming fire by night; for over all the glory will be a canopy. There will be a shelter to give shade from the heat by day, and refuge and protection from the storm and the rain. Isaiah 4:2-6

The passage above explains the rationale behind the Joel prophecy. While Joel is writing to his own generation, his intended audience is a future generation who will benefit from his word. He says that the priests will blow the shofar, calling Israel to assemble in Jerusalem. Those who make the trip will survive Yahweh's army of fire.  Isaiah says, in that day the branch of the Lord will be beautiful. He is talking about the remnant of Israel who survive the fire. He is talking about those who are "left in Zion and remain in Jerusalem." He says that the Lord will purge with a spirit of burning.

Thus, it would be wise for those living in Israel to study the prophet Joel and when the time comes, make the pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Those who fear the Lord and call on his name will be saved. They will survive.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:37:50 AM by CadyandZoe »

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
At times, the Lord tests our faith. He places us in situations that provide the venue and opportunity for us to prove our faith as we place our trust in him.
Some of us would call that "everyday life".

Sometime in our future, soon I think, the Lord will purge the land of Israel of evil doers. Malachi says, at that time, the evildoer and the arrogant will be burned up like chaff, while the sun rises with healing in it's wings for those who fear the Lord.
I would think that this is a call to be good every day, since no one knows when the messiah is coming. Or as the Talmud says "repent the day before you die". Of course, since nobody knows when they're going to die, we should repent every single day.

Joel says that the priests will blow the shofar, calling the people to Jerusalem for a solemn assembly. Those who make the journey, and come to Jerusalem will survive the fire.
But Joel 2:18 Then the Lord was jealous for his land and took pity on his people. ... never again will I make you an object of scorn to the nations...Do not be afraid, land of Judah; be glad and rejoice...Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God...Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the Lord your God, and that there is no other; never again will my people be shamed.

Which sounds really upbeat.

In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth will be the pride and the adornment of the survivors of Israel. It will come about that he who is left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy—everyone who is recorded for life in Jerusalem. When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and purged the bloodshed of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and the spirit of burning, then the Lord will create over the whole area of Mount Zion and over her assemblies a cloud by day, even smoke, and the brightness of a flaming fire by night; for over all the glory will be a canopy. There will be a shelter to give shade from the heat by day, and refuge and protection from the storm and the rain. Isaiah 4:2-6
This doesn't say anything about "preparing".

The passage above explains the rationale behind the Joel prophecy. While Joel is writing to his own generation, his intended audience is a future generation who will benefit from his word. He says that the priests will blow the shofar, calling Israel to assemble in Jerusalem.
Priests don't blow the Shofar anymore. There's no temple.

Matthew 24:36 states that "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Since nobody knows when, how is one to prepare? I ask.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »

Yeah but this way you can place some special significance on what you're doing.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 11:59:05 AM »
You would be wrong. God tests our faith. of that there can be no doubt. Consider Abraham, the father of our faith.

I would think that this is a call to be good every day, since no one knows when the messiah is coming. Or as the Talmud says "repent the day before you die". Of course, since nobody knows when they're going to die, we should repent every single day.[/quote]Of course you are right about repentance. However, this will NOT be a call to repentance. This will be a call to the faithful to come to Jerusalem to pray for deliverance. Those who obey the call and come to Jerusalem will be delivered. 

But Joel 2:18 Then the Lord was jealous for his land and took pity on his people. ... never again will I make you an object of scorn to the nations...Do not be afraid, land of Judah; be glad and rejoice...Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God...Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the Lord your God, and that there is no other; never again will my people be shamed.

Which sounds really upbeat. [/quote]No doubt. But on whom did God take pity? He did not take pity on the arrogant and evildoers. He destroys them with fire. He takes pity on those who fear the Lord and make the journey to Jerusalem. This should be very familiar to you, since the Mosaic Law commands that three times a year all the males shall come to worship the Lord at a place of his choosing. During the time of Jesus, the location was Jerusalem. It seems to me, that the Lord was making Israel practice the feast of booths because it would be vitally important in the future. 

This doesn't say anything about "preparing". [/quote]I was talking about mental preparation.

The passage above explains the rationale behind the Joel prophecy. While Joel is writing to his own generation, his intended audience is a future generation who will benefit from his word. He says that the priests will blow the shofar, calling Israel to assemble in Jerusalem.
Priests don't blow the Shofar anymore. There's no temple. [/quote]They will. But of course, who can hear it all the way from Tel Aviv? Joel's warning is clear. When you see the signs, get out of town. Head to Jerusalem.

Matthew 24:36 states that "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Since nobody knows when, how is one to prepare? I ask.
[/quote]Mentally and spiritually and perhaps physically. If a Jew is living in Israel, he and his family should begin the practice of taking a vacation during the feast of booths. Get used to living in tents. Aside from that, be of the mind that the day of the Lord can come any minute. Don't hesitate when the time comes.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »
That should be our every day. I just came across this fantastic quote.

"I must feel certain that, not only at the moment of my death shall I be able to account for the time I have lived, I ought to be ready at every moment of my life to confront myself and say—this is what I've done."

This was from Yoni Netanyahu, who was the only IDF solider killed at the Entebbe rescue.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 02:30:06 PM »
You would be wrong. God tests our faith. of that there can be no doubt.
Yes, God tests our faith. every day. Sometimes in small things and sometimes in large things.

Of course you are right about repentance. However, this will NOT be a call to repentance. This will be a call to the faithful to come to Jerusalem to pray for deliverance. Those who obey the call and come to Jerusalem will be delivered. 
Isaiah 59: Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save

I can't pray from Tel Aviv? Or New York?

No doubt. But on whom did God take pity? He did not take pity on the arrogant and evildoers. He destroys them with fire. He takes pity on those who fear the Lord and make the journey to Jerusalem.
See above.

This should be very familiar to you, since the Mosaic Law commands that three times a year all the males shall come to worship the Lord at a place of his choosing. During the time of Jesus, the location was Jerusalem.
It was only ever Jerusalem.

I was talking about mental preparation.
Like prayer and repenting?

They will. But of course, who can hear it all the way from Tel Aviv? Joel's warning is clear. When you see the signs, get out of town. Head to Jerusalem.
Third time. See above.

Mentally and spiritually and perhaps physically. If a Jew is living in Israel, he and his family should begin the practice of taking a vacation during the feast of booths. Get used to living in tents.
Actually, observant Jews all over the world build a Sukkah to celebrate the holiday. Myself included.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 03:26:37 PM »

"I must feel certain that, not only at the moment of my death shall I be able to account for the time I have lived, I ought to be ready at every moment of my life to confront myself and say—this is what I've done."

This was from Yoni Netanyahu, who was the only IDF solider killed at the Entebbe rescue.

That's true. I got there through Paul and Nazianzus and Kierkegaard and others. Hence I'm not too bothered presently with far-future eschatological questions. The life I live today is burden enough; existence is heavy enough. More people should sit and think and realise the sheer horror of the weight of our existence.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 04:02:14 PM »
The life I live today is burden enough; existence is heavy enough. More people should sit and think and realise the sheer horror of the weight of our existence.
I like this.

My wife won't watch horror movies because "reality is scary enough".

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 04:44:35 PM »
You would be wrong. God tests our faith. of that there can be no doubt.
Yes, God tests our faith. every day. Sometimes in small things and sometimes in large things.

Of course you are right about repentance. However, this will NOT be a call to repentance. This will be a call to the faithful to come to Jerusalem to pray for deliverance. Those who obey the call and come to Jerusalem will be delivered. 
Isaiah 59: Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save

I can't pray from Tel Aviv? Or New York?
You can pray from anywhere you want. But you don't seem to understand the significance of that unique moment in the future. Israel was certainly able to pray from Egypt. No doubt they did. But at a particular moment in time, Moses led the people out of Egypt. This was no ordinary day. The day Israel left Egypt was a significant milestone in Jewish history. The call to come to Jerusalem is another.

No doubt. But on whom did God take pity? He did not take pity on the arrogant and evildoers. He destroys them with fire. He takes pity on those who fear the Lord and make the journey to Jerusalem.
See above.[/quote]See above.

This should be very familiar to you, since the Mosaic Law commands that three times a year all the males shall come to worship the Lord at a place of his choosing. During the time of Jesus, the location was Jerusalem.
It was only ever Jerusalem.[/quote]Right. I wasn't sure.

I was talking about mental preparation.
Like prayer and repenting?[/quote]More than that. I think we both agree that one can pray from anywhere. One can repent anyplace. But not all of us are mentally prepared to leave home at a moment's notice. Lot's wife wasn't. She hesitated and it cost her.

They will. But of course, who can hear it all the way from Tel Aviv? Joel's warning is clear. When you see the signs, get out of town. Head to Jerusalem.
Third time. See above.[/quote]Back at you.

Mentally and spiritually and perhaps physically. If a Jew is living in Israel, he and his family should begin the practice of taking a vacation during the feast of booths. Get used to living in tents.
Actually, observant Jews all over the world build a Sukkah to celebrate the holiday. Myself included.
[/quote]Okay, but if a Jewish person is living outside of Jerusalem on that day, that person must leave home and call upon the name of the Lord in Jerusalem.

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 05:10:32 PM »

That's true. I got there through Paul and Nazianzus and Kierkegaard and others. Hence I'm not too bothered presently with far-future eschatological questions. The life I live today is burden enough; existence is heavy enough. More people should sit and think and realise the sheer horror of the weight of our existence.
Did you study exegesis in college? if so, why not apply your skills with the Bible? Being unshaken by discussions of the end is admirable. And yet, some students of the Bible find critical examinations of apocalyptic scripture fulfilling because of the challenge. Obviously, we can't know, with scientific certainty, what will happen in the future. And not only this, some of us have discovered this profound principle. Prophecy isn't given so that we might know the future. We are given enough information about events in the future so that when they occur we might understand the reason why it had to happen the way it did.

I understand, I think, what you mean by "sheer horror" with regard to our existence. I can only explain it this way. I took my kids to see Grand Coulee Dam. I stood on the road, overlooking the spill way and I felt something in my solar plexus -- a very powerful feeling of awe and fear. I have felt that before and I feel it occasionally since then. I feel it when I attempt to comprehend infinity, especially when I try to wrap my mind around my place among 7 billion human beings. I'm sure you can imagine many other times when the the infinite or the eternal shows itself.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
You can pray from anywhere you want. But you don't seem to understand the significance of that unique moment in the future.
I don't see why it's necessary.

Israel was certainly able to pray from Egypt. No doubt they did. But at a particular moment in time, Moses led the people out of Egypt. This was no ordinary day. The day Israel left Egypt was a significant milestone in Jewish history. The call to come to Jerusalem is another.
Israel wasn't even a nation before they left Egypt. They didn't have the revelation at Sinai. They didn't have the bible. They didn't have their history.

Everything is different now.

More than that. I think we both agree that one can pray from anywhere. One can repent anyplace. But not all of us are mentally prepared to leave home at a moment's notice.
I hear this. But why is it necessary?

Okay, but if a Jewish person is living outside of Jerusalem on that day, that person must leave home and call upon the name of the Lord in Jerusalem.
But why?

The messianic prophecies describe God bringing the Jewish exiles back to the land of Israel at the end of days. They do not describe everyone rushing back on their own devices. For example, Deut 30:

When all these blessings and curses I have set before you come on you and you take them to heart wherever the Lord your God disperses you among the nations,  and when you and your children return to the Lord your God and obey him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today,  then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you and gather you again from all the nations where he scattered you.  Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the Lord your God will gather you and bring you back. He will bring you to the land that belonged to your ancestors, and you will take possession of it.

Or Ezekiel 37

This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will take the Israelites out of the nations where they have gone. I will gather them from all around and bring them back into their own land.

Or Isaiah 11

In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean. He will raise a banner for the nations and gather the exiles of Israel; He will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth.

Or Isaiah 49

This is what the Sovereign Lord says:

“See, I will beckon to the nations, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their hips."

Why would any of this be necessary if everyone is already in Jerusalem?

CadyandZoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 11:42:53 AM »
You can pray from anywhere you want. But you don't seem to understand the significance of that unique moment in the future.
I don't see why it's necessary.
How can you not see it is necessary? I don't get that.

Israel was certainly able to pray from Egypt. No doubt they did. But at a particular moment in time, Moses led the people out of Egypt. This was no ordinary day. The day Israel left Egypt was a significant milestone in Jewish history. The call to come to Jerusalem is another.
Israel wasn't even a nation before they left Egypt. They didn't have the revelation at Sinai. They didn't have the bible. They didn't have their history.

Everything is different now. [/quote]And? The point is, not everyday is the same. Some days are more significant than others. How can you not see  this?

More than that. I think we both agree that one can pray from anywhere. One can repent anyplace. But not all of us are mentally prepared to leave home at a moment's notice.
I hear this. But why is it necessary?

Okay, but if a Jewish person is living outside of Jerusalem on that day, that person must leave home and call upon the name of the Lord in Jerusalem.
But why?[/quote]Did you watch my video? I told you the reason. If a man should not go to Jerusalem  when called, that man will be incinerated. 

The messianic prophecies describe God bringing the Jewish exiles back to the land of Israel at the end of days. They do not describe everyone rushing back on their own devices. For example, Deut 30:[/quote]I agree, and the Jewish exiles are making Aliyah as we speak. When the time comes, those who fear the Lord will be called to Jerusalem. Some will come; other's won't. Those who don't will be incinerated.

When all these blessings and curses I have set before you come on you and you take them to heart wherever the Lord your God disperses you among the nations,  and when you and your children return to the Lord your God and obey him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today,  then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you and gather you again from all the nations where he scattered you.  Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the Lord your God will gather you and bring you back. He will bring you to the land that belonged to your ancestors, and you will take possession of it.

Or Ezekiel 37

This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will take the Israelites out of the nations where they have gone. I will gather them from all around and bring them back into their own land.

Or Isaiah 11

In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean. He will raise a banner for the nations and gather the exiles of Israel; He will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth.

Or Isaiah 49

This is what the Sovereign Lord says:

“See, I will beckon to the nations, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their hips."

Why would any of this be necessary if everyone is already in Jerusalem?
[/quote]As I say, Jewish exiles are making Aliyah right now.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris