Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Resurrection Theology and Doctrine.  (Read 1545 times)

Aijalon

• <3
    • View Profile
Resurrection Theology and Doctrine.
« on: March 17, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »
Why is the Theology board so empty?  Past time time to generate some theology discussion!
I don't think I'm alone in recognizing that OUR resurrection - immortality - is under appreciated in our preaching.    Recently, a young man learning the ropes of preaching was in the text of Colossians

Col 2:20
Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21(Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

The short teaching was on Col 3:3.   He asked what it meant for our life to be hidden in Christ, and he went on to link the rich young ruler story to the necessity of putting away our fleshly perspective.  He was not wrong, but I thought the explanation was much simpler.  During the feedback session, I suggested that verse 4 explains verse 3 (the text explains itself).    In short, our ETERNAL life is preserved with Christ, and we will be glorified when he returns.   Paul is admonishing the Colossians to continue to keep the end in mind. Eternal glorification is our best motivator.   

Allow the attraction of eternal glory to compete with your view of the day to day things of the flesh.  In the coming glory there is no place for malice or filthy language (Col 3:8).   With the assurance of glory in mind, be at peace in your relationships and edify each other through spiritual fruit (Col 3:12-17).  Harmonize your households with the reverence for the King and in hope of inheritance (Col 3:18-24).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:15:46 AM by Aijalon »
PREDESTINATION: All men are condemned by their own sin.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
Re: Resurrection Theology and Doctrine.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 03:21:31 AM »
Why is the Theology board so empty?  Past time time to generate some theology discussion!
I don't think I'm alone in recognizing that OUR resurrection - immortality - is under appreciated in our preaching.    Recently, a young man learning the ropes of preaching was in the text of Colossians

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21(Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

The short teaching was on Col 3:3.   He asked what it meant for our life to be hidden in Christ, and he went on to link the rich young ruler story to the necessity of putting away our fleshly perspective.  He was not wrong, but I thought the explanation was much simpler.  During the feedback session, I suggested that verse 4 explains verse 3 (the text explains itself).    In short, our ETERNAL life is preserved with Christ, and we will be glorified when he returns.   Paul is admonishing the Colossians to continue to keep the end in mind. Eternal glorification is our best motivator.   

Allow the attraction of eternal glory to compete with your view of the day to day things of the flesh.  In the coming glory there is no place for malice or filthy language (Col 3:8).   With the assurance of glory in mind, be at peace in your relationships and edify each other through spiritual fruit (Col 3:12-17).  Harmonize your households with the reverence for the King and in hope of inheritance (Col 3:18-24).

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes sense. I'm good with it.

I still believe that it also refers to the fact our spirituality is emanating from Christ himself in relationship with us. That is, what we are doing today is secretly counting with God in heaven. That is an encouragement to keep on living in the spirituality and obedience of Christ.

Aijalon

• <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »
Randy, agree.  I think what you are driving at there is the necessity of "abiding in Christ".  We remain/abide in Christ when we are acting in accordance with his love which is covered in John 15:10, Romans 8, 2Cor 5, 1John 2....  I believe that the Colossians 3 passages above are a "how to" lesson in doing that.

Blessings
PREDESTINATION: All men are condemned by their own sin.

theMad-JW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »
Of course, being "dead" is used figuratively; but when it is, it's apparent!
Jesus DIED.
Does that mean he LIVED ON as an immortal soul or spirit? Then floated back down to the corpse 3 days later, being God and all that?

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 08:48:56 AM »
No, he was active and alive outside his physical body for 3 days prior to the glorification of his resurrected body.

He certainly wasn’t sleeping
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

theMad-JW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »
So- he WASN'T dead!

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 09:10:49 AM »
Physically dead as a doorknob

Spiritually dead for an infinite billionth of a nanosecond as God made Him to be sin and destroyed sin forever and instantaneously resurrected spiritually

Physical resurrection 3 days later
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

theMad-JW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 09:40:59 AM »
That's the Double-Talk handed to us by Churchianity!

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 09:54:16 AM »
No, that's the reality as explained by Paul in inspired Scripture.

That's not doublespeak.

Question for you then.

What does "dead" mean to you?

Titus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 02:30:20 PM »

One thing we can be sure that this concept of "being hidden in Christ" is not is a teaching of Once Saved Always Saved.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris