Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Quotable Quotes  (Read 7443 times)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Re: Quotable Quotes
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2022, 06:45:01 AM »
"Ka-boom.... [gunshot from backyard]...

"Kids, I've got some good news and some bad news.  Bad news is, no Easter eggs or candy this year.
Good news is, rabbit for lunch..."

~~ RabbiKnife's dad, one Easter Sunday morning when the Knife was a mere lad of 12...

Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2022, 02:20:18 AM »
Years ago I released a special version of my chess program ProDeo, the Gospel version.

http://rebel13.nl/prodeo/prodeo25.html

Quote from: webpage
Yes, this special version after each move throws a (Christian safe) random (light-heartedly) quote at you. Categories are: Love, Wisdom, Christian, Humor, Philosophical, Gospel and Science with the intent to make you think. Examples below.

Here are the quotes I collected in 2 parts.

[BEGIN]
Category: Christian

Only those who are already born support abortion.

-- MAD Magazine 1969
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Philosophical

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.

-- Heywood Broun
[END]

[BEGIN]

You must make your choice. Either this man was and is the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse.

You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as  a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God.

But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher.

He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to. 

-- C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity 1952
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Humor

The evolution believing atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman.

-- Kent Hovind
[END]

[BEGIN]

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

-- Albert Einstein
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Love

Where there is love there is no question.

-- Albert Einstein
[END]

[BEGIN]

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable ...

Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals. 

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
[END]

[BEGIN]

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires - desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it.

If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. 

-- Bertrand Russell, philosopher
[END]

[BEGIN]

One day a group of Darwinian scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God.

So they picked one Darwinian to go and tell Him that they were done with Him. The Darwinian walked up to God and said, God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost.

God listened very patiently and kindly to the man. After the Darwinian was done talking, God said, Very well, how about this? Let's say we have a man-making contest. To which the Darwinian happily agreed. God added, Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam.

The Darwinian said, Sure, no problem and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt.

God looked at him and said, No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!!!!
[END]

[BEGIN]

I was shocked, confused, bewildered as I entered Heaven's door, Not by the beauty of it all, nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven who made me sputter and gasp­ The thieves, the liars, the sinners, the alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade who swiped my lunch money twice. Next to him was my old neighbor who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought was rotting away in hell, was sitting pretty on cloud nine, looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, What's the deal? I would love to hear your take. How'd all these sinners get up here? God must've made a mistake. And why's everyone so quiet, so somber ­ give me a clue.

Child,' He said, 'they're all in shock. They never thought they'd be seeing you!
[END]

[BEGIN]

Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you.
[END]

[BEGIN]

If the devil reminds you on your past, remind him on his future.
[END]

[BEGIN]

Rather a prayer without and end than an ending without prayer.
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Science

Big Bang... so first there was nothing and then the nothingness exploded.
[END]

[BEGIN]

Summum of self esteem: looking at yourself through God's eyes.
[END]

[BEGIN]

Always testify, if necessary with words.
[END]

[BEGIN]

God didn't promise us a calm journey but a safe arrival.
[END]

[BEGIN]

Temptation is only a problem when you allow the inner discussion again.
[END]

[BEGIN]

Love your neighbour because that's me.
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Gospel

God believes in atheists.
[END]

[BEGIN]

If money is the root of all evil, then why do they ask for it in church?
[END]

[BEGIN]

Atheist: What's this fly doing in my soup?
Waiter:  Praying.
Atheist: Very funny. I can't eat this. Take it back.
Waiter:  You see? The fly's prayers were answered.
[END]

[BEGIN]

A poster reads: God is dead.
-- Nietzsche

The graffiti underneath reads: Nietzsche is dead.
-- God
[END]

[BEGIN]

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.....

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
[END]

[BEGIN]

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]

Once we see, however, that the probability of life originating at random is so utterly minuscule as to make it absurd, it becomes sensible to think that the favourable properties of physics on which life depends are in every respect deliberate....

It is therefore almost inevitable that our own measure of intelligence must reflect ... higher intelligences ...even to the limit of God... such a theory is so obvious that one wonders why it is not widely accepted as being self-evident. The reasons are psychological rather than scientific.

-- Sir Fred Hoyle, British mathematician, astronomer and cosmologist
[END]

[BEGIN]

The notion that ... the operating programme of a living cell could be arrived at by chance in a primordial soup here on earth is evidently nonsense of a high order.

-- Sir Fred Hoyle, British mathematician, astronomer and cosmologist
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Wisdom

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.

-- Plato
[END]

[BEGIN]

A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

-- Oscar Wilde
[END]

[BEGIN]

The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people.

-- Lucille S. Harper
[END]

[BEGIN]

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

-- Ali MacGraw to Ryan O'Neal in Love story (1970)
[END]

[BEGIN]

Wisdom is knowing how little we know.

-- Socrates
[END]

[BEGIN]

He who recognizes no humanity in others, loses it in himself.

-- Author unknown
[END]

[BEGIN]

At any rate, I am convinced that He [God] does not play dice.

-- Albert Einstein
[END]

[BEGIN]

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

-- Soren Kierkegaard
[END]

[BEGIN]

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

-- Soren Kierkegaard
[END]

[BEGIN]

The essence of faith is being satisfied with all that God is for us in Jesus.

-- John Piper
[END]

[BEGIN]

Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness.

-- Euripides
[END]

[BEGIN]

Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own.

-- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
[END]

[BEGIN]

There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.

-- Bryant H. McGill
[END]

[BEGIN]

Love is serving the other.

-- Me
[END]

[BEGIN]

Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness.

If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.

-- Stevie Wonder
[END]

[BEGIN]

Immature love says: I love you because I need you.

Mature love says: I need you because I love you.

-- Erich Fromm
[END]

[BEGIN]

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
[END]

[BEGIN]

If we have been pleased with life, we should not be displeased with death, since it comes from the hand of the same Master.

-- Michelangelo
[END]

[BEGIN]

Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays.

-- Soren Kierkegaard
[END]

[BEGIN]

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

-- Reinhold Niebuhr
[END]

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2022, 02:21:37 AM »
Part 2

[BEGIN]

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Science | Wisdom

To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction.

-- Isaac Newton
[END]

[BEGIN]

Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.

-- Isaac Newton
[END]

[BEGIN]

The human genome is made up of DNA, which has four different chemical building blocks. These are called bases and abbreviated A, T, C, and G.

In the human genome, about 3 billion bases are arranged along the chromosomes in a particular order for each unique individual.

To get an idea of the size of the human genome present in each of our cells, consider the following analogy:

If the DNA sequence of the human genome were compiled in books, the equivalent of 200 volumes the size of a Manhattan telephone book (at 1000 pages each) would be needed to hold it all.

-- The Human Genome Project
[END]

[BEGIN]

A cell is far more complicated than any machinery built by man so how could such a complex organism rose from dead material by chance?

World-renowned astronomer Sir Fred Holye said it this way:

A junkyard contains all the bits and pieces of a Boeing-747, dismembered and in disarray. A whirlwind happens to blow through the yard. What is the chance that after its passage a fully assembled 747, ready to fly, will be found standing there?
[END]

[BEGIN]

I estimate that the chance of life evolving on any given single planet, like the Earth, is one chance in 1x102,000,000,000 [that is one chance out of 1 followed by 2 billion zeroes] (1973, p. 46).

This figure is so large that it would take 6,000 books of 300 pages each just to write the number!

-- Carl Sagan
[END]

[BEGIN]

When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist.

I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them.

I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics.

-- Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics)
[END]

[BEGIN]

There are three types of people in this world: Those who can count and those who can't.
[END]

[BEGIN]

It takes 20 years to build a reputation, and only five minutes to destroy it.

-- Warren Buffet
[END]

[BEGIN]

I miss you.

-- God
[END]

[BEGIN]

I love you.

-- God
[END]

[BEGIN]

You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have.

-- Corrie ten Boom
[END]

[BEGIN]

Nothing sucks like the moment in a heated argument when you realize you're wrong.
[END]

[BEGIN]

If you think you're too small to make a difference, you've never spent a night with a mosquito.
[END]

[BEGIN]

The wish often is the father of the doctrine.

-- Me
[END]

[BEGIN]
Category: Gospel | Christian

Lord, I believe, help me in my unbelief.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]

And he [Jesus] opened his mouth and taught them, saying: 

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.

Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone?

Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

-- Jesus
[END]

[BEGIN]

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him [Jesus].

And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, This man receives sinners and eats with them. 

So he [Jesus] told them this parable:

What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it?

And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.

Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

-- Jesus
[END]

[BEGIN]

Jesus wept.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

Philip said to him [Jesus], Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.

Jesus said to him, Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, Show us the Father?

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man,

nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.

And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him.

Yet he is actually not far from each one of us,

--Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed [Jesus]; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him [Jesus] from the dead.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim);

because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

God's Everlasting Love

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn?

Christ Jesus is the one who died-more than that, who was raised-who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.
[END]

[BEGIN]

The fine-tuned universal constants.

There are 43 of such physical constants in the Universe and if you change just one of them too much life would be impossible.

The chance these 43 universal physical constants developed itself (randomly) by chance is astronomic low.

One part in 10^37 is such an incredibly sensitive balance that it is hard to visualize.

The following analogy might help: Cover the entire North American continent in dimes all the way up to the moon, a height of about 239,000 miles (In comparison, the money to pay for the U.S. federal government debt would cover one square mile less than two feet deep with dimes.)

Next, pile dimes from here to the moon on a billion other continents the same size as North America.

Paint one dime red and mix it into the billions of piles of dimes.

Blindfold a friend and ask him to pick out one dime.

The odds that he will pick the red dime are one in 10^37. 
[END]

[BEGIN]

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life;

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]

For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

-- Jesus Christ
[END]

[BEGIN]

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

And this is the promise that he made to us -- eternal life.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

-- Bible
[END]

[BEGIN]

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

There are only two kinds of men: the righteous who think they are sinners and the sinners who think they are righteous.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

Pascal's famous wager.

Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

It is good to be tired and wearied by the futile search after the true good, that we may stretch out our arms to the Redeemer.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

The immortality of the soul is a matter which is of so great consequence to us and which touches us so profoundly that we must have lost all feeling to be indifferent about it.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

Men despise religion. They hate it and are afraid it may be true.

-- Pascal
[END]

[BEGIN]

He that will believe only what he can fully comprehend must have a long head or a very short creed.

-- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
[END]

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2022, 03:10:49 PM »
Wow! I guess that pretty much wraps up this thread.  :o
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Kingfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2022, 08:15:07 AM »
I say keep em coming!

There is no more devastating blow against evil then what a human being chooses God in the face of suffering, disappointment, unbelief, chronic pain, frustration, abandonment...before the circumstances change, to get up and proclaim that God is good is a devastating blow to evil.
-John Eldredge
Go Fish

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2022, 12:36:16 PM »
"The greatest injustice is using the law to keep justice at bay." -Scott Adams
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2022, 12:38:35 PM »
"Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back in." -Will Rogers

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
"You can't hold a man down without staying down with him." -Booker T Washington

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2022, 11:14:17 PM »
"There's two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither one works." -Will Rogers

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2022, 11:22:00 PM »
"The best way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket." -Will Rogers

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2022, 06:25:13 PM »
"No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar." -Abraham Lincoln

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men." -Charles De Gaulle

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2022, 06:41:26 PM »
"You cannot fully understand that Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you have."  -Corrie Ten Boom
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 06:44:27 PM by Sojourner »

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2022, 07:10:22 PM »
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." -John F. Kennedy

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2022, 07:12:03 PM »

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake." -Napoleon Bonaparte

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
Today at 05:04:28 PM

Watcha doing? by ProDeo
Yesterday at 05:38:35 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris