Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: A lesson from an unusual source  (Read 934 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
A lesson from an unusual source
« on: May 27, 2022, 01:54:02 PM »
I had a friend named Gene who once related a crazy experience he had. Training on the job with an LP gas delivery company, he had spent the day accompanying his trainer on his route, learning the ropes. At some point, as they travelled along in the truck, they both smelled the unmistakable odor of poop. Both checked the bottom of their shoes, thinking one of them may have stepped in a pile of dog poop in a customer's yard. Nothing on the shoes, nothing in the truck. That day, they kept smelling the odor everywhere they went, baffled as to the source.

At home later that evening, the mystery that plagued Gene all day was solved. When he took off his shoes, he noticed a crack in the bottom of one of them, and smelled the familiar foul odor very strongly. Upon closer inspection, he discovered a dollop of dog poop concealed inside the crack. At some point during his route, the crack in the shoe had opened up, scooped up the poop, and concealed it. Perplexed at smelling it all day, he was oblivious to the fact he had been carrying it with him everywhere he went.

While I found the incident halarious, it got me thinking. Just as Gene was oblivious to the fact he was carrying around the source of what plagued him, some people go through life plagued by unhappiness, completely unaware that a spiritual emptiness within is the source of the problem. They muddle through life looking outwardly for fulfillment in money or possessions, relationships, amusements, sex, drugs, alcohol, and other things, all to no avail. All the while, they're carrying the source of their unhappiness within.

We were created to be spiritually connected to God, but the entrance of sin into the world in the garden of Eden broke that connection. Faith in Jesus is the bridge that restores that communion, and the peace, joy and happiness that it facilitates. Holding onto God with one hand, and believers with the other, the Son of God completes a spiritual "circuit" that re-connects us to our power source, enabling us to fulfill our purpose, and enjoy the full relationship God originally intended us to have with Him.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
Re: A lesson from an unusual source
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »
For all the Christians who experience peace, joy, and happiness... What's that like? I've had fleeting experiences of each of these things, but what's it like for these things to be ever-present, and their absence the exception?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »
For all the Christians who experience peace, joy, and happiness... What's that like? I've had fleeting experiences of each of these things, but what's it like for these things to be ever-present, and their absence the exception?

I wouldn't know, brother, as my peace, joy and happiness have been a bit sporadic throughout my life as well. But I put my hope in Jesus, and persevere, for only He can save us from the fiery destruction that follows our sojourn in this dark and dying world. Recall that Jesus said, Because iniquity will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. (Mat 24:12-13)

Let's learn from the Apostle Paul, who never lost sight of the reward that awaited him. Never ceased to encourage and inspire those he brought to the Lord--despite enduring more adversity and hardship than most Christians can imagine.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 03:45:33 PM »

I wouldn't know, brother, as my peace, joy and happiness have been a bit sporadic throughout my life as well. But I put my hope in Jesus, and persevere, for only He can save us from the fiery destruction that follows our sojourn in this dark and dying world. Recall that Jesus said, Because iniquity will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. (Mat 24:12-13)

Let's learn from the Apostle Paul, who never lost sight of the reward that awaited him. Never ceased to encourage and inspire those he brought to the Lord--despite enduring more adversity and hardship than most Christians can imagine.

There's a question I've always wondered: am I simply unfamiliar with the depths of the lack of these things that I think of as a lack of joy, happiness, peace, etc., that is, are those things to a greater degree than, say, the non-Christian population?  On the one hand, I must acknowledge this as a possibility in light of the supernatural, but is it that, or is it that I have a false sense of these things?

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 05:22:07 PM »
We were created to be spiritually connected to God, but the entrance of sin into the world in the garden of Eden broke that connection. Faith in Jesus is the bridge that restores that communion, and the peace, joy and happiness that it facilitates. Holding onto God with one hand, and believers with the other, the Son of God completes a spiritual "circuit" that re-connects us to our power source, enabling us to fulfill our purpose, and enjoy the full relationship God originally intended us to have with Him.
This is why they could say with joy,

we glory in tribulations Rom.5:3

Everything Jesus himself experienced. 😊

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 05:36:39 PM »
This has always been one of the most frustrating topics for me, Its not clear what you are saying this connection with God does, Like it fulfills this deep seated need and fills this emptiness and provides love peace and joy, but to hear many Christians tell it the love peace and joy is still intermittent. You didn't assert the common trope of non believers sought love, peace, and joy with sex, drugs etc but found the satisfaction to be fleeting, however I genuinely do not see how the Joy, peace and love Jesus supposedly provides isn't just as fleeting (at least whenever any christians I run across are pressed on it). Moreover Jesus is always (at least in my expirience) juxtaposed with the most superficial & trivial things one could seek like sex, drugs alcohol etc...I cannot recall anyone ever claiming to have been a non believer who sought satisfaction in exploring and strengthening familial relationships, forging and nurturing deep honest friendships, seeking self improvement through those relationships or through generosity and using one's gifts and abilities to improve the circumstances of themselves and others or self reflection or even starting a loving and nurturing family but all of that felt empty and fleeting. It's like why do non believers in these stories without fail have the goals and emotional maturity of a maladjusted teenager and then when the protagonist becomes a Christian, outside of loving Jesus every other thing that they do that provides long lasting (not every second of the day) deep and richly satisfying experiences are the things that they could have sought without God because it is what many mature people realize about what is valuable and actually satisfying in life, family, friends improving their community and themselves ,finding satisfying work that aligns with their personality and abilities and finding time to pursue personal projects and self care. It always looks to me like a person is basically saying that I was selfish immature and short sighted, then I grew up, plus Jesus except that from out here the Jesus part seems almost entirely superfluous. idk i'm sure this is going to piss some folks off but, w/e i'm just saying how it looks to me and I won't offer fake deference to a thing that doesn't seem to do much.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »
He grows in us. I wouldn't compare myself to him.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 07:58:37 PM »
Emotions and expectations of emotions are extraordinarily overrated.

Joy is not necessarily an emotion, but is, instead, an action.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 03:59:19 AM »
Going through a severe depression there is not much too laugh, peace and joy are limited to short moments, if at all. As a Christian you at least have your faith. I once was a member of a Pentecostal Church and the pastor said to me, "a Christian can't be depressed", followed by some quotes from Scripture. The tragedy was he died in depression.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 04:18:23 AM »
Going through a severe depression there is not much too laugh, peace and joy are limited to short moments, if at all. As a Christian you at least have your faith. I once was a member of a Pentecostal Church and the pastor said to me, "a Christian can't be depressed", followed by some quotes from Scripture. The tragedy was he died in depression.

It seems to be a common Pentecostal trope:

- You can't be depressed, and if you are, there's something wrong with your faith
- You must always be happy, smiling, etc., especially on Sunday
- Problems? Stop sinning

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 05:03:09 AM »

- You can't be depressed, and if you are, there's something wrong with your faith
- Problems? Stop sinning

And the red is the last thing a depressed Christian wants to hear.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 05:33:02 AM »

- Problems? Stop sinning

And the red is the last thing a depressed Christian wants to hear.

As a first-rate absurdity, indeed.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 09:33:27 AM »
Can you imagine the depression our Creator felt at being rejected by his creation?  If God can be depressed, so can believers.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »

There's a question I've always wondered: am I simply unfamiliar with the depths of the lack of these things that I think of as a lack of joy, happiness, peace, etc., that is, are those things to a greater degree than, say, the non-Christian population?  On the one hand, I must acknowledge this as a possibility in light of the supernatural, but is it that, or is it that I have a false sense of these things?
I think we should keep in mind that genuine faith neither depends on circumstances, nor relies on feelings or emotions. Genuine faith is believing even when everything that can be wrong is, or when everything that can go wrong does. Genuine faith is praising God after you lost your job, the car dies on you, and you don't know how you're going to avoid foreclosure on the house. It's easy to feel faithful when you just got that huge raise, no bills to worry about, your family adores you, and you just bought a new porshe.

Like gold that has been tested and purified in fire, true faith is manifested by standing firm in the midst of trials, tribulations, and the adverse circumstances that often beset us. Faith and praise is what God expects from us, not a continual show of emotions we may or may not be feeling. While the assurance that we will spend eternity in His presence is cause for hope, joy, peace and happiness, feelings and emotions wax and wane over time. Christians are human beings, and are subject to illness, worries, stress, depression, and all other human frailties. As long as we hold tight to our faith, earthly troubles will one day be wiped away, along with our tears.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 11:54:00 AM »
I know of a pastor who rejected the notion of Christians getting sick, attributing it to lack of faith. Until he got extremely sick. There is an air of superiority in such assertions, and a humbling experience when they get a reality check.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris