Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Why was Moses not allowed to enter the promised land?  (Read 4239 times)

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
Why was Moses not allowed to enter the promised land?
« on: July 10, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »
In this week's Torah portion, we read Numbers 20.

Let's discuss.

Now there was no water for the community, and the people gathered in opposition to Moses and Aaron. They quarreled with Moses and said, “If only we had died when our brothers fell dead before the Lord! Why did you bring the Lord’s community into this wilderness, that we and our livestock should die here? Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to this terrible place? It has no grain or figs, grapevines or pomegranates. And there is no water to drink!”

The people are thirsty.

Moses and Aaron went from the assembly to the entrance to the tent of meeting and fell facedown, and the glory of the Lord appeared to them.  The Lord said to Moses,  “Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink.”

Moses is told to take his staff and speak to a rock (or perhaps a specific rock? The Hebrew uses the direct article 'the rock'). After he does so, enough water will come forth for everyone to drink.

So Moses took the staff from the Lord’s presence, just as he commanded him. He and Aaron gathered the assembly together in front of the rock and Moses said to them, “Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?” Then Moses raised his arm and struck the rock twice with his staff. Water gushed out, and the community and their livestock drank.

Rather than speaking to the rock, Moses strikes it. Water comes forth.

But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.”

Because he struck the rock rather than speaking to it, Moses is denied entry into the Holy Land.

There's a lot to unpack here.

This seems like such a small, trivial matter to have such consequences. Rabbis through history have tried to explain it. Some thoughts.

The obvious: Moses didn't follow instructions. The higher a spiritual plane a person is on, the more exacting the judgement.

More subtle: Moses lost his temper. The people's demand wasn't unreasonable; they were in the desert, and they were thirsty. There was no reason for him to shout at them and call them "rebels". There's no indication that God was angry at them, so why was Moses?

Another way to look at it entirely: In Exodus 17, when the people asked for water, God instructed Moses "Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink." Here Moses is instructed to speak to the rock. What changed? The people changed. In Exodus 17, Moses was dealing with the generation born in Egypt. In slavery. They had a slave mentality and physical inducements was part of that. Moses striking the rock made sense to them. In Numbers 20, we are dealing with the generation born in the desert, in freedom. And free people are not to be struck to gain obedience. They must be spoken to and convinced. Which is why Moses was instructed to speak to the rock.

And this is why Moses is not allowed to enter the promised land. He was not the man for that mission, and so that was not his mission. His was to take the Hebrews out of Egypt, and he did that and did it well. But it would be up to another person to lead the generation born free into the land of Israel, to conquer and build a state.

Moses is still the most esteemed individual in Judaism. He is always referred to as "Moshe Rabbenu", "Moses, our teacher". He is still considered the greatest prophet, as per the end of Deuteronomy Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, who did all those signs and wonders the Lord sent him to do in Egypt—to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land. For no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.

journeyman

• View Profile
Re: Why was Moses not allowed to enter the promised land?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »
The NT says the rock was symbolic of the Messiah. He was smitten once, so that life giving water (symbolic of Gods' Spirit or his word) would be imparted to his people.
Also, it seems from the story that Moses struch the rock in anger, because the Israelites born in freedom were complaining as their fathers did.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 04:23:46 PM »
The NT says the rock was symbolic of the Messiah. He was smitten once, so that life giving water (symbolic of Gods' Spirit or his word) would be imparted to his people.
Also, it seems from the story that Moses struch the rock in anger, because the Israelites born in freedom were complaining as their fathers did.
Tell me that you didn't read what I wrote without telling me that you didn't read what I wrote.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 11:54:52 PM »
Tell me that you didn't read what I wrote without telling me that you didn't read what I wrote.
I read your post. I was just giving you the NT version,

they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. 1Cor.10:4

So in light of that, it makes perfect sense that he shouldn't be smitten again,

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more Rom.6:9

So just speak to the Rock.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
You know

It's possible that there are verses in the bible that have nothing whatsoever to do with either Jesus or Christianity. The verses in question here are about Moses, and the man that he was, and the generation that he shepherded.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 09:39:58 AM »
You know

It's possible that there are verses in the bible that have nothing whatsoever to do with either Jesus or Christianity. The verses in question here are about Moses, and the man that he was, and the generation that he shepherded.

Agreed.  Sometime a cigar is just a cigar.
Except when it is a miniature Jewish Space Laser.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 12:35:34 PM »
You know

I understand that most Jewish people don't believe the OT says anything about Jesus. This might be a revelation to some Christians, but it isn't to me.
I'm certain the Jews who wrote the NT knew what they were talking about.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 12:54:33 PM »
I understand that most Jewish people don't believe the OT says anything about Jesus.
Just because some verses might be about Jesus doesn't mean that every verse is about Jesus.

As I said, the topic in question here is about Moses and the generation that came out of Egypt.

I'm certain the Jews who wrote the NT knew what they were talking about.
Jews can be as wrong as anybody else. Karl Marx, for example.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 01:12:16 PM »
And Groucho

Just sayin’
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 01:47:11 PM »
And Groucho

Just sayin’
The three stooges tho... perfection. And all Jewish.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 02:42:06 PM »
Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Whooobobobbbbooooobobooooboo

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 08:31:30 AM »
Just because some verses might be about Jesus doesn't mean that every verse is about Jesus.

As I said, the topic in question here is about Moses and the generation that came out of Egypt.

Jews can be as wrong as anybody else. Karl Marx, for example.
The NT holds Moses in high esteem. I understand people today regard Jesus as no more important than Marx or comedians.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »
Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Whooobobobbbbooooobobooooboo

The Hebrew part says "Yehudah Leib, son of Shlomo Nasan the Levite."

There is a story in the Talmud of a certain rabbi who met Elijah the prophet in the marketplace once. He asked Elijah if anyone there was destined for life in the world to come. Elijah pointed out two individuals. When the rabbi went to them and asked them what they did, they replied, "We are comedians. We give cheer to those who are depressed."

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
The NT holds Moses in high esteem. I understand people today regard Jesus as no more important than Marx or comedians.
I mean, the same could be said of the Koran and Mohammed. This isn't the point you think it is.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 11:46:06 AM »
I mean, the same could be said of the Koran and Mohammed. This isn't the point you think it is.
Jesus and the NT didn't change what Moses wrote. Mohammed and the Quaran did. People who revere Moses don't change what he said.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Yesterday at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
May 13, 2024, 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris