Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: A prophet like unto Moses  (Read 4563 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
A prophet like unto Moses
« on: June 03, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »
After delivering the Hebrews from Egyptian bondage, God initiated the long, painstaking process of nurturing and instructing the people in preparation for the future journey toward the land He had promised Abraham. During the sojourn in the area round Mt. Sinai, He instructed Moses to have the people consecrate themselves and assemble at the foot of the mountain. When the ground trembled and God’s fearsome trumpet blast reverberated deafeningly, the frightening experience was more than the people could handle. They later asked Moses to have God speak to him instead of them,  to which the Lord assented, and from that point on God spoke exclusively with Moses, who then passed on the Lord’s communications to the people.

Moses later related to the people God’s declaration that He would raise up a future prophet like Moses, who would communicate His commandments to the people:

The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your brothers. You must listen to him. This is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God or see this great fire anymore, so that we will not die!”

Then the LORD said to me, “They have spoken well. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. I will put My words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. And I will hold accountable anyone who does not listen to My words that the prophet speaks in My name
(Deuteronomy 18:15-19 Berean Study Bible).

While Christians identify the prophet in question as Jesus, many non-Christians maintain that God was referring to future prophets collectively, rather than to a particular individual. While it’s true God knew He would later raise up a succession of prophets to speak to the people, we have to wonder if being an appointed spokesman constituted all prophets being “like Moses?” Indeed, Scripture presents Moses as being unlike anyone else, and speaks of the unique relationship that existed between God and him:

Since that time, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face—no prophet who did all the signs and wonders that the LORD sent Moses to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh and to all his officials and all his land, and no prophet who performed all the mighty acts of power and awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel. (Deut 34:10-12)

Thus the LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.  (Deut 33:11)

I speak with him face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the LORD. Why then were you unafraid to speak against My servant Moses?" [Num 12:8]

Given God’s relationship with Moses, and all that He accomplished through him, it certainly seems that being ‘like’ Moses entails more than simply conveying the oracles of God as all appointed prophets have. To truly be like Moses, one would have to be an exceptional man used mightily of God. And no one fits that description better than Jesus.

NT writers unquestionably identified Jesus as this prophet, as Peter did when addressing the Jews following Jesus’ resurrection and ascension, specifically citing the above passage from Deuteronomy 18 (Acts 3:19-23).

In fact, Jesus Himself, almost certainly referring to the same text, declared that Moses had written about Him (John 5:46).

When John the Baptist appeared in the desert preaching repentance and baptizing in the Jordan river, temple authorities sent representatives to inquire as to his identity and purpose. When he made it clear he was not the Messiah, they questioned him further, asking first if he was Elijah, and then if he was “the prophet.” Who was this prophet they spoke about?

Clearly, this mysterious individual was known to those who studied the law and the prophets, and his arrival was associated with end time prophecy. And while students of the Bible today are familiar with the individual foretold in the text of Deuteronomy 18, an often-overlooked aspect is specifically how this prophet would be like Moses.  Consider the following attributes that Jesus shares with Moses:

1.   Both Jesus and Moses were divinely preserved from a massacre of infants.
 The similarities began when both were babies. When Pharaoh ordered the killing of all male Hebrew babies, Moses was spared from death when he was hidden in a basket among the reeds of the Nile and subsequently raised in the royal household of Pharaoh’s daughter. Jesus of course, escaped Herod’s murderous plot when Joseph, warned in a dream, took the child to Egypt, where they remained until Herod was dead.

2.   Both appeared as spokesmen for God after 400 years of His silence, and during a time that the Jews were under Gentile oppression.
As God had revealed to Abraham, his descendants became slaves in a foreign land when a Pharaoh knowing neither of Joseph nor the favor shown him and his people, oppressed the Hebrews with forced labor. During these 400 years of adversity, no word came from God. Yet as promised, after the 400 years expired, God delivered them by sending Moses to demand the release of His people. 

Likewise, after 400 years of silence following the end of Malachi’s ministry, Jesus presented Himself to the people as God’s Son and appointed spokesman, during the height of Rome’s oppressive occupation.  Just as Moses led the people out of the bondage of slavery, Jesus led the people out of the bondage of sin, inaugurating the new covenant foretold by Jeremiah, and solemnly sealing that covenant with His death on the cross and resurrection.

3.   Both instituted a covenant of blood that brought salvation for believers who obeyed.
 At God’s direction, Moses instituted the Passover, whereby lamb’s blood applied to the doorposts by the faithful living in Goshen protected them from death.  Jesus, as God’s ultimate and final Passover Lamb, saves believers by the atoning power of His blood under the new covenant foretold by Jeremiah.

4.   Both were specially appointed prophets, endowed with God’s power as credentials.
Both Jesus and Moses wrought supernatural power that served to substantiated the fact that they spoke and acted by God’s divine authority.

5.   Both had a superlatively personal and intimate relationship with God.
God regarded Moses as His friend, and at his request, even permitted him to behold His glory in a way no other human ever had (Deut 33:11). Prior to the incarnation, Jesus was with God and shared His glory even before the world was created (John 17:5).

6.   Both Jesus and Moses directly interceded for the people, seeking to shield them from God’s judgment.
We know that Jesus is God’s Passover Lamb, offered for the faithful who belong to Him. Just as the blood of the Passover lamb on the lentils and doorposts of their homes spared the Israelites in Goshen when the death angel passed through Egypt, so the blood of Jesus atones for our sin-guilt, sparing faithful believers from the judgment of God. He intercedes for those who trust in Him, shielding us from God’s judgment upon the ungodly.

Yet, Moses foreshadowed this intercession when the rebellious Israelites incurred the wrath of God. He selflessly asked God to blot his name from the book of life along with the guilty if He would not spare them. (Exodus 32:32). Like Jesus, he was willing to sacrifice his own wellbeing for the sake of the people. So then Moses and Jesus both placed themselves directly between the wrath of God and the guilty.

7.   Both Jesus and Moses radiated with God’s glory after being in His direct presence.
The Gospels recount Peter, James and John accompanying Jesus to a mountaintop where they witnessed His face and raiment becoming as bright as the sun (Matthew 17:2), the result of Jesus standing in the presence of God’s glory that descended upon the mountain.

Some 1500 years earlier, Moses’ face likewise glowed after being in God’s presence, both on Mt. Sinai and at the tent of meeting visitations. So unsettled were the Hebrews by Moses’ eerily glowing visage that he began wearing a veil to cover his face. In all of Scripture, only Jesus and Moses were illuminated from being in God’s presence. In both cases, the manifestation of God as a bright cloud was likely the presence of God known among Jews as the Shekinah Glory.

Among the billions of people that have lived on this planet then, Jesus and Moses are the only two of which all seven of the similarities presented here apply. In that respect then, Jesus meets the criteria necessary to be ‘a prophet like unto Moses’ as no one else does.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

journeyman

• View Profile
Re: A prophet like unto Moses
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 04:35:21 PM »
Sojourner said,
And no one fits that description better than Jesus.
I only read up till there and I agree.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:54:47 AM »
Jews understand it meaning prophecy in general, not any specific person. Moses was the first prophet. Would there be others? Yes.

I don't see how you can square Jesus being this "prophet" with Christian theology. Jesus is God, isn't he? God can't be a prophet, God is God.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 10:33:05 AM »
“Everett, we thought you wuz dead.”

Good to “see” you, Fenris!
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
“Everett, we thought you wuz dead.”

Good to “see” you, Fenris!
Nice to see you too, RK!

I may wander, but I always follow the trail of breadcrumbs back.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 01:41:24 PM »
It's also good when God says,

I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done Isa.46:9-10

because a prophet isn't giving his personal opinion about anything.

Quantrill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 05:52:23 PM »
Jews understand it meaning prophecy in general, not any specific person. Moses was the first prophet. Would there be others? Yes.

I don't see how you can square Jesus being this "prophet" with Christian theology. Jesus is God, isn't he? God can't be a prophet, God is God.

I don't see how you can square (Deut. 18:15) not being any 'specific person'.  "The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken."

This is a Person, a prophet like Moses, of the people of Israel. 

Quantrill

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 07:12:48 PM »
I don't see how you can square (Deut. 18:15) not being any 'specific person'.  "The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken."

This is a Person, a prophet like Moses, of the people of Israel. 
And yet Deut 34 says that there is no prophet like Moses. What a conundrum!

Again, it is speaking of prophecy in general and not any particular prophet.
Quantrill
Why do you include your user name at the end of your post? I can see who it is from the top of your post.

Fenris the grand poobah and knight of kitch and such and such.

Quantrill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 04:33:34 AM »

And yet Deut 34 says that there is no prophet like Moses. What a conundrum!

Again, it is speaking of prophecy in general and not any particular prophet.
Quantrill
Why do you include your user name at the end of your post? I can see who it is from the top of your post.

Fenris the grand poobah and knight of kitch and such and such.

And no wonder you didn't give the verse, (Deut. 34:10) "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face.

No, (Deut. 18:15) is clear that a Person is being spoken of, not prophecy in general.   Just as it goes on to say in (Deut. 18:18-19). "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him."

Quantrill

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »
And no wonder you didn't give the verse, (Deut. 34:10) "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face.
Given as the book was written right after Moses's death, the "since" seems trivial. Unless it means to this very day. Now that would be very significant.

No, (Deut. 18:15) is clear that a Person is being spoken of, not prophecy in general.

Verse 20 reads "But the prophet who intentionally speaks a word in My name, which I did not command him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die." This is in the singular too. In fact, this is even stronger language because verse 18 simply says "a prophet" while this uses the direct article "The prophet". Does that mean there will only ever be one false prophet?

Quantrill
Fenris, the might wolf.

Quantrill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 06:23:13 PM »
@Fenris

What is significant is that a Person is being addressed, and not prophecy in general, as you claim. 

How do you know (Deuteronomy) was written after Moses death?  The point is 'since' indicates up to that time.  It doesn't negate a Prophet coming later like unto Moses.   Which is what it declares.  As I said, no wonder you didn't give the verse. 

No, the prophet that speaks not in the name of God is a false prophet.  Singular or plural doesn't matter. 

But there will be only one Prophet raised up like unto Moses.   Scripture is clear. 

Quantrill

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 08:36:07 PM »
What is significant is that a Person is being addressed, and not prophecy in general, as you claim. 
No. Again. Moses was the first prophet. Would he be the last? This verse tells us not.

How do you know (Deuteronomy) was written after Moses death?
It mentions his death. How could it mention his death if it was written before? Think this through.

The point is 'since' indicates up to that time.
Or "since" mean up until this very moment when you and I are reading it.

It doesn't negate a Prophet coming later like unto Moses.
If "since" means right now, you bet it does.

No, the prophet that speaks not in the name of God is a false prophet.  Singular or plural doesn't matter. 
You're ignoring the whole point. Why are you being so disingenuous?

But there will be only one Prophet raised up like unto Moses.   Scripture is clear. 
Then also only one false prophet. I wonder which one it was. Hmm...... Dare I say it? No.
Quantrill
Fenris. Aka Fenrir.

Quantrill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 01:56:32 AM »
@Fenris

You're changing your story.  First you said (Deut. 18:15-19) is speaking of prophecy in general.  Now you say it means Moses wouldn't be the last prophet.  So, again, the passage is clear.  A particular prophet, like unto Moses is being addressed. 

Perhaps you should think this through.  Moses was a prophet.   It's common with God to reveal future things to a prophet.  Unless you think God couldn't or wouldn't reveal Moses death to himself.

No, 'since' means at the time of the writing.  To say, as you are saying, that it means at the time you are reading it,  is non-sense. Shows the degree you will go to cover your error. 

No, I'm not ignoring the point.  Again, concerning (Deut. 18:20), a false prophet will be any prophet that is not sent by or does not speak in the name of the LORD. In Israel there were always false prophets.  But, though there will be other true prophets sent by God,  there will be only one Prophet like unto Moses, whom God will send. (Deut. 18:15-19)

Dare you say what?   If you're scared, say you're scared.

Quantrill

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 12:05:12 PM »
You're changing your story.  First you said (Deut. 18:15-19) is speaking of prophecy in general.  Now you say it means Moses wouldn't be the last prophet.
Yes. That's what prophecy in general means. That Moses wouldn't be the last prophet.

Perhaps you should think this through.  Moses was a prophet.   It's common with God to reveal future things to a prophet. 
Not before Moses, it wasn't. He was a unique individual. Would there even be other prophets? C'mon man, this isn't rocket science.

No, 'since' means at the time of the writing.
So when they penned the bible right after Moses's death, there was no prophet like Moses. How profound.

No, I'm not ignoring the point.  Again, concerning (Deut. 18:20), a false prophet will be any prophet that is not sent by or does not speak in the name of the LORD.
If "A prophet like Moses" is referring to only one person, then "The false prophet" is also only one person. Get it?

Dare you say what?   If you're scared, say you're scared.
No, amused. But I'd rather not get banned over a discussion with you of all people.

Quantrill
Fenris, the biter of Tyr's right hand.

Quantrill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 01:24:21 PM »
@Fenris

Oh. Then Moses wasn't the first prophet.  As, prophecy in general is found in (Gen. 9:24-27).

Oh yes, before Moses; Noah revealed things future also.  (Gen. 9:24-27) And Joseph revealed things future. (Gen. 37:1-10) (Gen. 40:1-41:44) Yes, Moses was unique just as the Prophet who God would raise up 'like unto Moses' would be unique also.

That's right.  At the time of writing (Deuteronomy), there was no prophet like unto Moses.  And there wouldn't be until God raised One up like unto Moses.  (Deut. 18:15-19) Of course it is profound.  It is from God.

A prophet like unto Moses refers to one person.  The false prophet is just a false prophet.  False is what describes him.  What describes the prophet like unto Moses is that he is like unto Moses. 

No, you're not amused.  You're scared.  You're afraid to say what you really want to say.  And that says a lot about what you say.

Quantrill

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Yesterday at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
May 13, 2024, 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM