Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 1407 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
What do you think about this?
« on: May 16, 2022, 03:44:47 PM »
I pondered this puzzling passage quite some time back, looked into it, and it again came to mind again recently:

Now as Jesus was passing by, He saw a man blind from birth, 2and His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the works of God would be displayed in him. (John 9:1-3)

Notice the conundrum posed in verse 2. How could the man have been born blind as punishment for sin he could not have committed until after he was born? I've read that there was some belief in the transmigration of souls among very early Jewish thinkers, and is represented in the Kabbala and the doctrine of the Essenes. Was this idea common enough to be known among the Galileans of that time, and prompted the paradoxical premise? Did the disciples believe an unborn baby could be guilty of sin-guilt in the womb, or was it something else?
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Redeemed

• View Profile
Re: What do you think about this?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:29:53 AM »
There are several scriptures in the OT that deal with the consequences of sin being passed down to future generations.
I think this passage simply points out that sin isn't the cause of all ailments and that evrything that happens is part of God's plan. 

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:33:48 AM »
I would caveat: work to God's glory rather than a specific part of God's plan, i.e., that it was God's plan for people to be sick.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 10:15:46 PM »
There are several scriptures in the OT that deal with the consequences of sin being passed down to future generations.
I think this passage simply points out that sin isn't the cause of all ailments and that evrything that happens is part of God's plan.

I agree that the takeaway is that God is in control of things past, present and future, and that He can transform even adversity and misfortune into something good that will bring glory to Him. But asking if a person was born blind because of sin he himself committed before he was born still poses a bit of a conundrum to me.   
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Redeemed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 01:43:39 PM »
But asking if a person was born blind because of sin he himself committed before he was born still poses a bit of a conundrum to me.

I'm not trying to be flippant here but you have to remember that these were uneducated fishermen and such. Jesus called them and the knowledge they received was from God. Father, Son & Holy Spirit taught and directed them, yeah?

It was simply a question of a student to his teacher IMO.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:17:27 PM »
Many people still think that way: An individual's disability is likely judgment or a curse for hidden sin, whether or not he or she was somehow born with the stain, something in the lives of the parents or a sinful act.

I walk with a severe limp and am acutely aware of this tendency among many folks; some will be found in the church you attend.

I have been told by believers that my body is cursed by sin and I am in need of their prayer intercession.

Deliverance from the superstitious : a common need for some.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:11:42 PM by IMINXTC »

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 05:01:12 AM »
I have been told by believers that my body is cursed by sin and I am in need of their prayer intercession.

I still remember that time an itinerant 'apostle' came to the church we were at and started exercising a demon from a woman who was very sick because she didn't look him directly in the eyes when he was an inch from her face. That such things happen and continue to happen is unfathomable.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 07:25:12 AM »
The first time I told an “apostle” not to touch me because I was very careful about who I allowed to lay their hands on me you and oils have thought I had mooned the pope

He said he wanted to impart his anointing to me

I told him that I definitely didn’t want anything he had getting in me

When he insisted I told him that if he laid his hands on me I would break his wrist
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:27:55 AM by RabbiKnife »
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Cloudwalker

• The one and only, genuine, original Cloudwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 01:53:03 PM »
The first time I told an “apostle” not to touch me because I was very careful about who I allowed to lay their hands on me you and oils have thought I had mooned the pope

He said he wanted to impart his anointing to me

I told him that I definitely didn’t want anything he had getting in me

When he insisted I told him that if he laid his hands on me I would break his wrist

If he insisted on touching me after I told him not to I would break more than just his wrist.
May God bless you as you seek to do God's will

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Yesterday at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
May 13, 2024, 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM