Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: James 4.11  (Read 1344 times)

RandyPNW

• View Profile
James 4.11
« on: August 12, 2021, 02:17:51 PM »
James 4.11 Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it.

What does this mean? How is slandering a brother in Christ judging the Law? I think that in the Law of Moses there were both rules and remedies for breaking those rules. And so, the Law was a guardian to keep people in compliance with the Law through a system of mercy.

Of course, in Christ today, we are no longer under the Law. We've received mercy beyond the Law because the Law could never bring everlasting mercy.

However, did mercy exhibited under the Law teach us not to slander one another? Is this the commandment: "Do not bear false witness against another?"

Is persisting in defying the commandments of the Law a form of "judging the Law?" Is it judging the worth of the Law?

journeyman

• View Profile
Re: James 4.11
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 08:47:18 AM »
James 4.11 Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it.

What does this mean?
It means the law also applies to the one doing the judging, so don't speak as if it doesn't,

There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? Jas.4:12

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »
The standard under the Law required compliance with the prescribed sacrifices with the appropriate heart of contrition.

The standard under grace requires one’s all.
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »

What does this mean?
It means the law also applies to the one doing the judging, so don't speak as if it doesn't,

There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? Jas.4:12

The principle of the Law certainly condemns people who judge God's  laws and covenants. But the Law isn't a current covenant, and has been superseded by Christ's covenant.

Moral Law, in general, continues in perpetuity, but covenants that are conditional do change, particularly when the covenant is violated by one of the parties and the other party doesn't wish to renew.

In this case, God no longer wished to renew the covenant of Mosaic Law, and instead had determined, in advance, to complete it with an entirely new covenant, fulfilling the intention of the Law to lead to a permanent fellowship between God and Israel.

I know this goes well beyond the point, but sometimes it needs to be said for whoever is listening.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »
The principle of the Law certainly condemns people who judge God's  laws and covenants. But the Law isn't a current covenant, and has been superseded by Christ's covenant.

Moral Law, in general, continues in perpetuity, but covenants that are conditional do change, particularly when the covenant is violated by one of the parties and the other party doesn't wish to renew.

In this case, God no longer wished to renew the covenant of Mosaic Law, and instead had determined, in advance, to complete it with an entirely new covenant, fulfilling the intention of the Law to lead to a permanent fellowship between God and Israel.

I know this goes well beyond the point, but sometimes it needs to be said for whoever is listening.
The surrounding text is comparable to Rom.2, where Paul says,

as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law....Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? vs.12,23

The condemnation of the law is only superseded by Christ because Jesus didn't bring the Jews who knew what the law says but sinned against him into judgement.
Our Lord warned them to repent, because the day will come when the unrepentant discover that the law hasn't been entirely done away with.

journeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 10:01:51 PM »
The standard under grace requires one’s all.
So does the standard under the law,

Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. Gal.3:10

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Jas.2:10

greenonions

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 01:20:10 AM »

What does this mean? How is slandering a brother in Christ judging the Law? I think that in the Law of Moses there were both rules and remedies for breaking those rules. And so, the Law was a guardian to keep people in compliance with the Law through a system of mercy.

Of course, in Christ today, we are no longer under the Law. We've received mercy beyond the Law because the Law could never bring everlasting mercy.

However, did mercy exhibited under the Law teach us not to slander one another? Is this the commandment: "Do not bear false witness against another?"

Is persisting in defying the commandments of the Law a form of "judging the Law?" Is it judging the worth of the Law?

In another passage, James mentions three laws: the royal law, the law or whole law, and a law of freedom. How are these related?

James 2:8 However, if you fulfill the royal law, according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well. 9 But if you show partiality, you commit sin, being convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law, and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak, and so do, as men who are to be judged by a law of freedom. 13 For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

The royal law is the commandment to love your neighbor, which is quoted to show that partiality violates the law. The royal law is just one commandment within the whole law, which contains a large number of commandments. James mentions the whole law, referring to the Law of Moses, to prove that a seemingly minor infraction of just one commandment, namely breaking the royal law by showing partiality, is a serious offense that must be avoided because breaking the royal law means breaking the Law of Moses.
The law of freedom allows us to be judged with mercy, and this should motivate us to speak and do things differently. But since the Law of Moses does not prescribe mercy in judgment (Deut. 13:8; 19:13, 21), the law of freedom cannot be the Law of Moses.

Deuteronomy 19:21 Your eyes shall not pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Regarding judging one another, James says in the verse that you quoted that to speak against a brother is to oppose the law. Since our brothers in the Lord will be judged with mercy by the law of freedom, we act contrary to this law of freedom if we judge them without mercy.

So what is this law of freedom that James speaks about? It necessarily includes justification by faith and forgiveness of sins as a legal principle, because that is God’s expression of mercy. It likely also includes the teachings of Jesus, including His Sermon on the Mount that warns people about judging others.

Matthew 7:1 “Don’t judge, so that you won’t be judged.”

If you humbly receive the word of the gospel of Jesus Christ and show mercy to others, you will be judged with mercy, so that you can stand and gain eternal life (Tit. 3:5; 1 Tim. 1:16; Matt. 5:7; 18:33; Rom. 14:4).

Matthew 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.”

Matthew 18:33 “‘Shouldn’t you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, even as I had mercy on you?’”

Romans 14:4 Who are you who judge another’s servant? To his own lord he stands or falls. Yes, he will be made to stand, for God has power to make him stand.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »

In another passage, James mentions three laws: the royal law, the law or whole law, and a law of freedom. How are these related?

James 2:8 However, if you fulfill the royal law, according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well. 9 But if you show partiality, you commit sin, being convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law, and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak, and so do, as men who are to be judged by a law of freedom. 13 For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

The royal law is the commandment to love your neighbor, which is quoted to show that partiality violates the law. The royal law is just one commandment within the whole law, which contains a large number of commandments. James mentions the whole law, referring to the Law of Moses, to prove that a seemingly minor infraction of just one commandment, namely breaking the royal law by showing partiality, is a serious offense that must be avoided because breaking the royal law means breaking the Law of Moses.
The law of freedom allows us to be judged with mercy, and this should motivate us to speak and do things differently. But since the Law of Moses does not prescribe mercy in judgment (Deut. 13:8; 19:13, 21), the law of freedom cannot be the Law of Moses.

Deuteronomy 19:21 Your eyes shall not pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Regarding judging one another, James says in the verse that you quoted that to speak against a brother is to oppose the law. Since our brothers in the Lord will be judged with mercy by the law of freedom, we act contrary to this law of freedom if we judge them without mercy.

So what is this law of freedom that James speaks about? It necessarily includes justification by faith and forgiveness of sins as a legal principle, because that is God’s expression of mercy. It likely also includes the teachings of Jesus, including His Sermon on the Mount that warns people about judging others.

Matthew 7:1 “Don’t judge, so that you won’t be judged.”

If you humbly receive the word of the gospel of Jesus Christ and show mercy to others, you will be judged with mercy, so that you can stand and gain eternal life (Tit. 3:5; 1 Tim. 1:16; Matt. 5:7; 18:33; Rom. 14:4).

Matthew 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.”

Matthew 18:33 “‘Shouldn’t you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, even as I had mercy on you?’”

Romans 14:4 Who are you who judge another’s servant? To his own lord he stands or falls. Yes, he will be made to stand, for God has power to make him stand.

I don't agree that the Law of Moses prescribed no mercy. All of the applications of the Law were designed to mercifully keep Israel in relation to God, despite their judgment from the Garden of Eden. So it was mercy.

But I do understand how you're framing this, and largely agree with it. In fact, I think it was an excellent explanation, notwithstanding the minor point of difference. Thanks much!

greenonions

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 03:00:51 AM »
I don't agree that the Law of Moses prescribed no mercy. All of the applications of the Law were designed to mercifully keep Israel in relation to God, despite their judgment from the Garden of Eden. So it was mercy.

But I do understand how you're framing this, and largely agree with it. In fact, I think it was an excellent explanation, notwithstanding the minor point of difference. Thanks much!

Thanks Randy. Definitely the commandments were merciful. e.g. the Sabbath gave a nation of former slaves time to rest.

Although the law of freedom offers certain mercies that were not available in the Law of Moses according to the author of Hebrews, those who reject the gospel of Jesus Christ and the law of freedom would face worse punishment.

Hebrews 10:28 A man who disregards Moses’ law dies without compassion on the word of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment do you think he will be judged worthy of who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »

What does this mean?
Isn't this saying the same thing as Luke 6?

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Interestingly enough, one can find similar sentiments in the Talmud.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »

What does this mean?
Isn't this saying the same thing as Luke 6?

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Interestingly enough, one can find similar sentiments in the Talmud.

I don't know why that should be surprising. Both Jewish sources. Both influenced by the Law.

Yes, I think the comparison is correct between what James said and what Jesus said. James seems to say a lot of what Jesus said. After all, I think they were brothers, ie had the same mother.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »
I don't know why that should be surprising. Both Jewish sources.
Eh, maybe. Jury is out on whether Luke was a Jew or a gentile.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
I don't know why that should be surprising. Both Jewish sources.
Eh, maybe. Jury is out on whether Luke was a Jew or a gentile.

Luke had to be a Jew. My opinion only! :)

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 12:40:08 PM »
Colossians 4 might imply otherwise. But yeah, could go either way. Not really critical to the outcome I suppose.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
Colossians 4 might imply otherwise. But yeah, could go either way. Not really critical to the outcome I suppose.

Right, the thought is that he was a Hellenized Jew. It is unthinkable to me that the founders of the Christian Church were anything other than Jews, whether Hellenized or not.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris