Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Excuses for fakes  (Read 2255 times)

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Re: Excuses for fakes
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2024, 04:54:08 AM »
Suppose this time it is not a church, but a taxpayer-funded primary or secondary school. There are two teachers who, from time to time, make comments on religious belief that are outside their remit as school teachers.

Teacher A occasionally remarks that belief in God, intercessory prayer and life after death are delusional and that anyone in the class who believes in any of them is foolish.

Teacher B occasionally remarks that there is a God who has a message for the children in the class and that he or she has been entrusted with this message.

The school's lawyers have pointed out that the budget only runs to fighting one lawsuit if, after firing these two teachers, either one of them sues. As a result, they suggest that you only try to kick one of them off the staff. Which one would you be more enthusiastic to fire and why?

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2024, 06:10:59 AM »
Why were they fired?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2024, 06:15:27 AM »
You clearly have not bothered to read the post that you have replied to.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2024, 06:49:34 AM »

Should I accuse you of clearly dodging yet another question about yet another hypothetical? Of course I've read your little scenario.

"Why were they fired?" is the question that informs the lawsuit. So again, I ask, if we're to choose between the two to fire one, why were they fired?

Maybe we should fire the legal team.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2024, 08:23:30 AM »

Should I accuse you of clearly dodging yet another question about yet another hypothetical? Of course I've read your little scenario.

"Why were they fired?" is the question that informs the lawsuit. So again, I ask, if we're to choose between the two to fire one, why were they fired?

Maybe we should fire the legal team.

Killing the lawyers is usually a good first step
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2024, 10:08:56 AM »
Kalman versus Cortes, recent case in 2010.

Edit - topic blasphemy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 10:17:09 AM by ProDeo »

tango

• Well that didn't go as planned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2024, 10:12:03 AM »
Suppose this time it is not a church, but a taxpayer-funded primary or secondary school. There are two teachers who, from time to time, make comments on religious belief that are outside their remit as school teachers.

Teacher A occasionally remarks that belief in God, intercessory prayer and life after death are delusional and that anyone in the class who believes in any of them is foolish.

Teacher B occasionally remarks that there is a God who has a message for the children in the class and that he or she has been entrusted with this message.

The school's lawyers have pointed out that the budget only runs to fighting one lawsuit if, after firing these two teachers, either one of them sues. As a result, they suggest that you only try to kick one of them off the staff. Which one would you be more enthusiastic to fire and why?

Both are bringing their personal faith into the classroom. I'm not sure that either one of them reaches the level of needing to be fired for it although I'd disagree with both of them. So on that basis perhaps the answer is to fire neither of them and save the expense of even one lawsuit.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2024, 11:12:30 AM »
@Athanasius

Sleep paralysis is a state, during waking up or falling asleep, in which one is conscious but in a complete state of full-body paralysis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

The last ~10 years I have periods of Sleep Paralysis, the mind becomes awake but has not yet control over the body. During that time you feel completely paralyzed as if your body is wrapped in duck tape. And the mind randomly starts to make up crazy things, from unable to put on my clothes, or being in a pool of water and unable to swim and thus drowning, or some some guy who wants to shoot me, etc.

That kind of fun.

I've had that, too, along with night terrors. It wasn't that.

Had my daily afternoon nap. 3 of the 4 usual suspects that sometimes hunt me during dreaming came along, one of them, being shot for no good reason. Killers came and started to shoot people, I already had 2 bullets in my body but still alive. One of the killers came to finish the job and put his gun on my ear. And I said, wait, wait a moment and I put my hand on my ear and said to him - now it will hurt less....

Ha ha......

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2024, 04:53:37 AM »
Athanasius, it is crystal-clear in my hypothetical scenario that the teachers were not fired. That is why 'Why were they fired?' shows you haven't read the post. 'Why would they be fired?' is, of course, another question altogether and would be relevant to the post.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2024, 05:39:46 AM »
Athanasius, it is crystal-clear in my hypothetical scenario that the teachers were not fired. That is why 'Why were they fired?' shows you haven't read the post. 'Why would they be fired?' is, of course, another question altogether and would be relevant to the post.

As I already explained, the question of which you're going to fire is predicated on a consideration of the eventuality of answering "why were they fired"? Assuming, of course, that the legal team is competent. I could ask again, but really, when you don't engage with your own ill-thought-through hypothetical what's the point?

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2024, 10:34:19 PM »

As I already explained, the question of which you're going to fire is predicated on a consideration of the eventuality of answering "why were they fired"? Assuming, of course, that the legal team is competent. I could ask again, but really, when you don't engage with your own ill-thought-through hypothetical what's the point?

Yep. It can be frustrating to directly respond, only to be ignored and then read another random post.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris