Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Can the law grant eternal life?  (Read 2430 times)

Betho

• View Profile
Re: Can the law grant eternal life?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2023, 06:27:43 PM »
What does circumcision have to do with anything?

What is your evidence for your statement about the makeup of the ekklesia?  At what point in history?

Circumcised but I’m not Jewish…. Do I count?

And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;  Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. Genesis 26:4-5 KJV

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2023, 06:30:27 PM »
What does circumcision have to do with anything?

What is your evidence for your statement about the makeup of the ekklesia?  At what point in history?

Circumcised but I’m not Jewish…. Do I count?

And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;  Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. Genesis 26:4-5 KJV

I’m not Jewish
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2023, 07:33:41 PM »
The concept of eternal life is found in Daniel 12:2,
For the third time, the Pentateuch, which has the actual laws that are to be followed, does not mention "eternal life" at all. It does mention rewards for obedience and punishments for disobedience, none of which mention "eternal life" either. Keep going.

Daniel 12:2 tells us nothing. It's like Ezekiel 37 vision of the valley of dry bones.

"Like the dew of Hermon that descends upon the mountains of Zion, for there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forever." Psalm 132:3
This is a poem. Are you really inventing theology from a poem?

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2023, 04:08:12 AM »
For the third time, the Pentateuch, which has the actual laws that are to be followed, does not mention "eternal life" at all. It does mention rewards for obedience and punishments for disobedience, none of which mention "eternal life" either. Keep going.

Nevertheless you believe in purgatory.

https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12446-purgatory

Betho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2023, 07:58:36 AM »

"A song that is said about the depths of the waters of the Lord; my heart did not exalt itself, and my eyes did not lift up, and I did not walk in great and wondrous things beyond me. I did not lay my hand on hidden things, and my soul is tranquil until the precepts of the Law are fulfilled. Thus, Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity." -  Targum Ketuvim Tehillim 131

The phrase "Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity" could be interpreted as a poetic expression that suggests that the people of Israel are in a constant spiritual journey toward God and eternity. It is not a direct quotation, but it reflects the aspiration of the Jewish community to follow divine precepts and find their way toward eternity, aligning with the concept of resurrection and the pursuit of eternal life as discussed in Daniel 12:2.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 08:00:28 AM by Betho »

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2023, 12:47:32 PM »

I believe in the afterlife too, but it isn't in the bible and it isn't promised as a reward for following the law.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2023, 12:48:40 PM »

"A song that is said about the depths of the waters of the Lord; my heart did not exalt itself, and my eyes did not lift up, and I did not walk in great and wondrous things beyond me. I did not lay my hand on hidden things, and my soul is tranquil until the precepts of the Law are fulfilled. Thus, Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity." -  Targum Ketuvim Tehillim 131

The phrase "Israel will lead to the Lord, from now until eternity" could be interpreted as a poetic expression that suggests that the people of Israel are in a constant spiritual journey toward God and eternity. It is not a direct quotation, but it reflects the aspiration of the Jewish community to follow divine precepts and find their way toward eternity, aligning with the concept of resurrection and the pursuit of eternal life as discussed in Daniel 12:2.
So, not content to draw theology from a poem, you know head even further into the weeds of obscure references...

Watchman of Naphtali

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2023, 10:19:23 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned; but I thought that I would bring up this scripture:

Gal 3:21, Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22, But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 10:23:04 PM by Watchman of Naphtali »

Watchman of Naphtali

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2023, 10:27:14 PM »
The only way a person can obtain everlasting life through the keeping of the law, works, obedience, or personal merits, is if they keep the whole law perfectly from conception into eternity (Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).

This is clearly impossible since we were all born with sin passed down to us through Adam.  All have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).

Therefore, the only way into the kingdom might be through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ (Romans 3:25; Romans 5:1, Romans 5:9).

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »
That quote from Romans 3 is only referring to Christians. Look at the end of the sentence from the epistle, which you didn't include.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2023, 12:03:25 PM »
The only way a person can obtain everlasting life through the keeping of the law, works, obedience, or personal merits, is if they keep the whole law perfectly from conception into eternity (Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).
The Pentateuch, which contains the laws to be followed, never promises "everlasting life" as a reward, nor does it express the idea that anyone is expected to keep the laws perfectly either.

Watchman of Naphtali

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2023, 04:01:54 PM »
The Pentateuch, which contains the laws to be followed, never promises "everlasting life" as a reward, nor does it express the idea that anyone is expected to keep the laws perfectly either.

However, that idea is expressed in the New Testament (Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).

Watchman of Naphtali

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »
That quote from Romans 3 is only referring to Christians. Look at the end of the sentence from the epistle, which you didn't include.

Which quote (are you referring to something in my post)?

I referenced Romans 3:23 and Romans 3:25.

Or, maybe you are referring to the quote out of Galatians 3 in the post previous?

Watchman of Naphtali

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2023, 04:31:08 PM »

I believe in the afterlife too, but it isn't in the bible and it isn't promised as a reward for following the law.

You are saying that the New Testament isn't a part of the Bible?

Clearly, the New Testament teaches us about the afterlife.

Jhn 3:16, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2Pe 1:13, Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
2Pe 1:14, Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
2Pe 1:15, Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.

1Co 15:12, Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
1Co 15:13, But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
1Co 15:14, And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
1Co 15:15, Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
1Co 15:16, For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
1Co 15:17, And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
1Co 15:18, Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
1Co 15:19, If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
1Co 15:20, But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1Co 15:21, For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
1Co 15:22, For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Co 15:23, But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:33:55 PM by Watchman of Naphtali »

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2023, 04:34:56 PM »
You are saying that the New Testament isn't a part of the Bible?
It is not part of my bible, as I am not a Christian.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 05:06:37 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by Fenris
May 15, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris