Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Jesus said if you love me keep my commands. What are Jesus' commands?  (Read 2779 times)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Eisegesis
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

christian.believer144

• A true Christian believer by the Bible
    • View Profile
    • God's Perspective
@RabbiKnife

There are 41000 church denominations today (Google for it). All these churches have official elders that vetted their teachings and will meet your approval. They all claim to be THE right church for you. From those praying to Mary and saints, to those doing absolutely nothing because it would be "works" if they obeyed Christ's commands or prayed daily, to those who claim God already selected from the humans for His pleasure and discarded the rest to hell.

I am not in that category. I am not claiming to be anything special, other than I am 65 years old, have diligently studied the whole Bible the past 30 years. And found many crucial truths not taught by churches. And many parts are misunderstood.

I don't say anything from me. Everything I say has clear Bible references attached to it. If you wholeheartedly want to seek God and His righteousness Matthew 6:33, then you would not be mocking right now with your smart statements.

With love and respect, I highly recommend you look close at my meticulous writings and explanations, loaded with Bible references. And open your heart, in case, just in case, your approved elders missed a few things.

https://www.realbiblestudy.org

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Yet you ignore the validity and role of elders in the local church as clearly commanded in the writings of Paul

You intentionally refuse as an act of your will to gather with your local community of faith for the purposes of fellowship and correction

Seriously not interested in a word on your website as you choose by your actions to claim apostolic authority,
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
@RabbiKnife

There are 41000 church denominations today (Google for it). All these churches have official elders that vetted their teachings and will meet your approval. They all claim to be THE right church for you. From those praying to Mary and saints, to those doing absolutely nothing because it would be "works" if they obeyed Christ's commands or prayed daily, to those who claim God already selected from the humans for His pleasure and discarded the rest to hell.

I am not in that category. I am not claiming to be anything special, other than I am 65 years old, have diligently studied the whole Bible the past 30 years. And found many crucial truths not taught by churches. And many parts are misunderstood.

I don't say anything from me. Everything I say has clear Bible references attached to it. If you wholeheartedly want to seek God and His righteousness Matthew 6:33, then you would not be mocking right now with your smart statements.

With love and respect, I highly recommend you look close at my meticulous writings and explanations, loaded with Bible references. And open your heart, in case, just in case, your approved elders missed a few things.

https://www.realbiblestudy.org

You do attend a church though right? Or some kind of gathering, or something? Or are you terminally online?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

christian.believer144

• View Profile
    • God's Perspective
@Athanasius
I do appreciate your kindness, but which of the 41000 church denominations should I attend? I stopped attending for that reason. Paul's directive was based on all being of one sound doctrine based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. I don't see that right teaching in any of the churches, and I explain the specifics of what I mean.

The Bible words are very clear. I always provide several references supporting my points, not just twisting a verse here and there.
1 Timothy‬ ‭6‬:‭2‬-‭3
Paul: "These are the things you are to teach and insist on. If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, they are conceited and understand nothing."

I would love to attend and gather with other true believers, who are keeping Jesus Christ's commands. But where are they? You want me to go stand in church and pray Hail Mary with the rest? Like a pagan religion? Or go stand in church and remain quiet about "by faith alone" and nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing else, except waving hands and loud music? Like a pagan religion?

Christian means Christ's commands. All of His commands:
1 John‬ ‭2:4‬
“The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and yet doesn’t keep His commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”
John 14:15-16
[Jesus:] “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.
Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, ... and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

@RabbiKnife, which of the above verses did I twist to my perverted ways? That you so adamantly refuse to look at my website?

I gather with family and friends at either our house, or at a public venue, like a conference room in hotel, or a restaurant outdoor. And I do look at many internet writeups that other people wrote. Some of these sources have good parts in them, in line with the Bible.

At this point, I am claiming Matthew 10:14 and leaving. Because I don't wish to debate, especially those who are only interested in defending their church.
You know how to reach me, on my website: https://www.realbiblestudy.org. Or email me your genuine "seeking God" questions at, christian.believer144@gmail.com.

And leaving this thread with these notes:

What's in it for me? Certainly not asking for recognition nor financial gains through donations. 2 Corinthians‬ ‭2‬:‭17‬: "Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity...” ‭ I am strictly doing this driven by love for God and all people on earth.

Not criticizing those who do rely on this as source of income through donations. But TEACH THE CORRECT WORD OF GOD FROM THE BIBLE!
This is not an earthly political party side-choosing. You can be loyal to your political party all you want. But God? It is your eternal status we're talking about. Jesus commanded to keep seeking Him. He is not simple to figure out by elders, or churches, who developed their individual cookie-cutters and preaching it to people, as obvious in today's loud and confused multitudes.

And also remember this. The Jewish Sanhedrin council (the approved elders of the Jewish people), unanimously voted to crucify Jesus. They were so detached from their Torah teachings, blinded by their esteemed status in the community and their way of life, that they chose to crucify Jesus to make Him disappear from bothering them! Despite knowing He was the Messiah!

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Reply #14

You are quoting Luke to explain Matthew. This is dubious to say the least. They are different authors, despite the fact that they are both using Mark, and possibly Q, as sources.

Praying for the Kingdom of God/Kingdom of Heaven to come on earth fits like a jigsaw piece into the context of Second-Temple Judaism in which Jesus of Nazareth was speaking. It's a stretch to crowbar the later belief of the Christians regarding a Holy Spirit into his teachings here.

christian.believer144

• View Profile
    • God's Perspective
The Lord's Prayer is also in Luke.
Luke 11:2-4
2 And he said to them, “When you pray, say:
“Father, hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
3 Give us each day our daily bread,
4 and forgive us our sins,
    for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
And lead us not into temptation.”

What else do you want to nitpick to avoid obeying Jesus Christ Mr @DavidGYoung claiming to be Christian?

christian.believer144

• View Profile
    • God's Perspective
I don't know why I keep looking and coming back. I care too much I guess.

@DavidGYoung
Which part of these clear words of Jesus am I crow-baring at you? And what is this unknown reference you speak of "the context of Second-Temple Judaism". And how important is that reference when compared to the clear words of Jesus here?
Did you read the details of Jesus words here below? If you didn't look at His details here below, then I understand why you're still disputing.

"Your Kingdom Come" in the Lord's Prayer means "Give us the Holy Spirit"
Supporting references:

Luke 17:21 Jesus: "...the kingdom of God is within you."
Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭17‬ “Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”
In this verse, Jesus used the term "kingdom of God" with 2 distinct meanings: (1) Something we receive - the Holy Spirit, and (2) a place to enter.

Jesus explained it a few verses after His prayer in Luke:
Luke 11:13
Jesus said: "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!
Notes: This part, "...your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" is a clear reference to the "your kingdom come" in the Lord's Prayer a few verses before; Jesus in this verse was continuing His explanation of His Prayer in Luke 11:2-4.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Don't you dare accuse me of claiming to be Christian!

I have not been a Christian since 1994 and I have not ever, ever, ever claimed to be one since.

Do not put words into people's mouths.

christian.believer144

• View Profile
    • God's Perspective
@DavidGYoung
You've already disqualified yourself when you did not know that the Lord's Prayer is also in Luke. And referenced something from who knows where.
And I have been a Christian all my life, but a true Christian since 1994.
True Christian means learn Jesus Christ's commands and obey them. Anything else, is Antichristian.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Try reading what I wrote before you reply to it.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
@Athanasius
I do appreciate your kindness, but which of the 41000 church denominations should I attend? I stopped attending for that reason. Paul's directive was based on all being of one sound doctrine based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. I don't see that right teaching in any of the churches, and I explain the specifics of what I mean.

The Bible words are very clear. I always provide several references supporting my points, not just twisting a verse here and there.
1 Timothy‬ ‭6‬:‭2‬-‭3
Paul: "These are the things you are to teach and insist on. If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, they are conceited and understand nothing."

I would love to attend and gather with other true believers, who are keeping Jesus Christ's commands. But where are they? You want me to go stand in church and pray Hail Mary with the rest? Like a pagan religion? Or go stand in church and remain quiet about "by faith alone" and nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing else, except waving hands and loud music? Like a pagan religion?

Christian means Christ's commands. All of His commands:
1 John‬ ‭2:4‬
“The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and yet doesn’t keep His commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”
John 14:15-16
[Jesus:] “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.
Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, ... and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

So what's your excuse for ignoring Hebrews' instructions not to forsake the assembly? You find yourself alone to be the true believer? Can you believe the author of Hebrews wrote what he wrote despite the imperfection of the early church in act and doctrine? Debates that are themselves recorded in Scripture, including in Paul's epistles and letters.

You aren't a true believer either.

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
Or possibly what she wrote.
Some have suggested Priscilla was the author.

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Or possibly what she wrote.
Some have suggested Priscilla was the author.

Beginning with Harnack, yes. "He" in my usage is the historical neutral, rather than "he" as in "definitely a male wrote Hebrews". It's less clumsy, or we can omit the pronoun altogether if preferred. "She" unlike "he" would be making a definitive statement.

ProDeo

• View Profile
Who is keeping Jesus' commands today? Does anybody know what they are?

You are pretty judgemental for a newbie.

Recent Topics

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
Today at 02:21:03 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by ProDeo
Today at 03:35:12 AM

who is this man? by Fenris
Yesterday at 08:51:19 PM

Watcha doing? by RabbiKnife
May 01, 2024, 03:00:05 PM

Bibleforums.NET by The Parson
April 25, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

How Do I Know God Exists? by Cloudwalker