Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Watcha doing?  (Read 5985 times)

tango

• Well that didn't go as planned.
    • View Profile
Re: Watcha doing?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2024, 04:36:35 PM »
You would stick out like a sore thumb if you could actually put rounds on target…

That's why law-abiding gun owners only need 10 rounds. It's only the criminals who spray bullets indiscriminately figuring they'll hit something sooner or later. So people say anyway.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2024, 03:23:35 PM »
You would stick out like a sore thumb if you could actually put rounds on target…

I'm pretty skilled with rifles and shotguns. I have never shot a handgun, though.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Slug1

• Retired Grunt - Still serving Jesus Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2024, 12:29:02 AM »

That's why law-abiding gun owners only need 10 rounds. It's only the criminals who spray bullets indiscriminately figuring they'll hit something sooner or later. So people say anyway.

I'd rather EDC two 15 round mags for my G19, than three 10 round mags.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2024, 12:45:18 AM »
Trying to decide if I need to bring my body armor with me when I visit Chicago in a couple of months.

Anyone know? I'm thinking a bullet-proof vest at minimum

Hard or soft armor?

Soft probably, but steel plate somethings are always interesting.

Steel, while guaranteed to stop even most (even multiple hit, all hits) rifle rounds, will be heavy and without any standard layering to catch spalling (as the round shatters), can be dangerous.

Soft armors are great due to consealability but limits protection to high powered pistol rounds and less.

Visiting a city, the soft armor would be great for this time of year. If you can carry a backpack, a steel plate is more easier managed and spalling will damage contents in the bag, not flesh. Just have to be quick to shift the pack to the front if facing incoming fire.

Any Polyethylene type armor is great for a backpack (much lighter too) because deformation will not be of any negative affect while it can stop multiple rifle rounds. In a plate carrier, great until deformation begins to break ribs. Ceramic is best for plate carriers but can be limited on multiple hits.
--Slug1-out

~In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper which is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help.~

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2024, 09:32:44 AM »

Only 15 rounds? I thought they'd be slightly bigger than that.

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2024, 09:35:38 AM »
Alternating time between writing some code for a project I've been putting off for a while now, and laying some new floor. Before I can lay the floor I need to cut the existing floor and then cut the new floor how I want it. My local lumber yard sells wood in a range of finishes, so I usually go for the cheapest that works for me. I can cut it to length and width myself, as long as the faces are good. I have a planer but prefer not to run too much through it as it makes a huge noise and it's just another heavy tool to lug around to where I have space to feed stuff in and then feed it out again.

Some day I need to set up a router sled so I can surface big stuff without the need for lots of space to feed stuff in and out. Maybe I can rig up something like a small blade on an angle grinder to create something like a table saw but where the saw moves rather than the material. That would save me a lot of space. I'd just need to figure out a way to make sure it would work without cutting fingers off with the surplus wood.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2024, 01:13:05 PM »
I'm pretty skilled with rifles and shotguns. I have never shot a handgun, though.
I'm the opposite. All my training and experience is with handguns.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2024, 01:16:06 PM »
I'm the opposite. All my training and experience is with handguns.

two related but entirely different skill sets
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2024, 01:25:56 PM »
Are the skills transferrable in any way? Or would I be a complete newbie with long guns?

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2024, 01:40:12 PM »
Are the skills transferrable in any way? Or would I be a complete newbie with long guns?

Very transferable

Acquisition of sight picture is a little different because of focal length of sights

Ballistics is more impacted because if longer distance muzzle to target
Breathing control more at issue

Everything is simply magnified because of longer distances

But the, longer barrel length tends to improve accuracy
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2024, 01:55:48 PM »
Very transferable
I'm going to have to do this sometime.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2024, 05:00:28 PM »

You are wise.

Legal to carry where I live. And 90% of currently armed individuals would get themselves killed if push came to shove, because they have little training, and are not prepared to immediately shoot. They assume having or showing the piece is sufficient. Complete familiarity with the weapon and target practice until proficiency is achieved are essential. If one needs to pull it one needs to be prepared to use it without hesitation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 08:22:55 PM by IMINXTC »

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2024, 10:21:27 PM »

15 rounds is standard capacity for the G19, cept in most blue states maxed at 10 rounds. Extenders (illegal in most blue states) can add 1-3 rounds but printing under the shirt increases when concealed. Or, get G17 mags and then the choice can be 17, 19, 24, and even 33 rounds.
--Slug1-out

tango

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2024, 11:08:27 PM »

15 rounds is standard capacity for the G19, cept in most blue states maxed at 10 rounds. Extenders (illegal in most blue states) can add 1-3 rounds but printing under the shirt increases when concealed. Or, get G17 mags and then the choice can be 17, 19, 24, and even 33 rounds.

Interesting - my M&P 9mm has a standard 17-round magazine. I thought the G19 was the same.

I'd be curious to see a 33 round magazine in a handgun. That must be a beast.

Slug1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2024, 11:44:43 PM »

Interesting - my M&P 9mm has a standard 17-round magazine. I thought the G19 was the same.

I'd be curious to see a 33 round magazine in a handgun. That must be a beast.

The G17 and G19X have standard 17 round mags.
--Slug1-out

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Yesterday at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
May 13, 2024, 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris