Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Destiny  (Read 436 times)

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
Destiny
« on: September 03, 2023, 04:02:40 PM »
A psychologist learned of a set of identical twins whose lifestyles made them turn out polar opposites, despite being raised by the same parents under the same adverse conditions. When one of them grew up, he worked his way through college, started up a business that developed into a corporation, and had a beautiful family. His brother got into drugs early on, had a long criminal history, and was in and out of prison most of his adult life.

Fascinated by the disparity, the psychologist sought the two out, and set up separate interviews with both of them. She spoke with the troubled young man first and asked about his life and circumstances. Lastly, she asked him what he felt caused him to take such a different path than his brother even though they were raised up in the same household. He answered, "My father was a lazy drunk who barely took care of us. With a childhood like mine, how else could I have turned out?"

She asked the other man the same line of questions, finally asking the same question regarding the different course the two had taken despite having the same beginnings. To her surprise, the reply she received was almost identical to that of his brother. "My father was a shiftless drunk who wasted his life and neglected his family. With a childhood like that, how else could I have turned out?"

For one man, the difficult childhood was an excuse to give into his circumstances and fail in life. For the other, it was motivation to rise above the adversity, prevail, and forge a successful life. One added another link to the chain, while the other broke the chain. Circumstances don't dictate one's destiny, but rather the choices and decisions we make with regard to those circumstances. The person we are destined to be is the person we decide to be.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Rebecca

• View Profile
Re: Destiny
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 04:44:11 PM »
1Co_15:10  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
Re: Destiny
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »
Paul is a good example of prevailing over circumstances:

"Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked. I spent a night and a day in the open sea. In my frequent journeys, I have been in danger from rivers and from bandits, in danger from my countrymen and from the Gentiles, in danger in the city and in the country, in danger on the sea and among false brothers, in labor and toil and often without sleep, in hunger and thirst and often without food, in cold and exposure.
(2 Cor 11:24-27)

Following his life-changing encounter with the risen Christ and transformation into a minister of the Gospel, Paul faced adversity from Satan far greater than most Christians can even imagine. After enduring decades of persecution and hardships, he spent his last years in chains in Rome, awaiting execution. Yet, he never allowed himself to be a slave to his circumstances. He continued to fulfill his ministry until the day he died, encouraging and ministering to those who visited him, as well as those outside of Rome through letters written during his confinement. He refused to let adverse circumstances interfere with serving God. And neither should we.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris