Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: George Floyd's murder and racism  (Read 2318 times)

DavidGYoung

• View Profile
George Floyd's murder and racism
« on: December 08, 2023, 12:44:15 PM »
So far, the evidence I have seen to support the idea that the murder of George Floyd by Derek Chauvin was an example of racism is the following:

The mob believe it is an example of racism.

Has anyone found any other evidence? Nothing was presented at the trial.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
Re: George Floyd's murder and racism
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 05:08:16 PM »
So far, the evidence I have seen to support the idea that the murder of George Floyd by Derek Chauvin was an example of racism is the following:

hm, I didn't pay very close attention to the trial, did he get tried and convicted of being racist at trial?

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 05:33:46 PM »
As long as the media narrative requires a finding that all white people are racist, then the evidence is of no importance
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 08:09:41 PM »
As long as the media narrative requires a finding that all white people are racist, then the evidence is of no importance

I can think of nothing i'd rather see right now than you posting several paragraphs really explaining what you mean by this, with examples and asides culminating in some sort of summary that really digs into your views about the reality of racism in America. Alas it's pretty rare for anyone to boldly and plainly speak their minds about race in these woke times, perhaps some day.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 08:24:00 PM »
Race was not considered at the trials and jurors were admonished to stay clear of the topic. The world interpreted it differently, without clear evidence that race was a factor.

Popular media, as everyone is aware, never let up on the fact that Chauvin was white and Floyd was black.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 08:30:43 PM by IMINXTC »

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 08:46:31 PM »
Race was not considered at the trials and jurors were admonished to stay clear of the topic. The world interpreted it differently, without clear evidence that race was a factor.

Popular media, as everyone is aware, never let up on the fact that Chauvin was white and Floyd was black.

What are some of the interpretations that you picked up while you were observing the world...that is if you don't mind talking about it.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 10:14:13 PM »
What are some of the interpretations that you picked up while you were observing the world...that is if you don't mind talking about it.

Because of social tensions at the time, involving disproportionate numbers of black people dying from police actions, with some white officers convicted of either murder or excessive force, Chauvin's brutality along with the other officers' compliance or inaction made me sick.

My interpretations were the same as they have been for a long time, and involved the symptoms of a broken society. Even in the case where these instances are not directly caused by racism, the over-arching reality of racial pressure makes it so in the eyes of many, and certainly in the eyes many black people who have suffered racial injustice for generations.

There are many other pressures at play, of course, often involving the bold, taunting lawlessness of many young people who, right or wrong, feel they are destined to suffer unjustly because of a generally biased society.

All these things conspire to place an almost impossible burden on police officers as well, IMO.

My Christian faith does not allow me to stand in harsh judgement or repugnance of any demographic group but being a child of the 60's, I hope and strive for social healing. Which does happen, thank God.

Whether Chauvin personally acted out of racist motive we might never know. But his thuggery hurt all of us.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 11:19:58 PM »

Because of social tensions at the time, involving disproportionate numbers of black people dying from police actions, with some white officers convicted of either murder or excessive force, Chauvin's brutality along with the other officers' compliance or inaction made me sick.

My interpretations were the same as they have been for a long time, and involved the symptoms of a broken society. Even in the case where these instances are not directly caused by racism, the over-arching reality of racial pressure makes it so in the eyes of many, and certainly in the eyes many black people who have suffered racial injustice for generations.

There are many other pressures at play, of course, often involving the bold, taunting lawlessness of many young people who, right or wrong, feel they are destined to suffer unjustly because of a generally biased society.

All these things conspire to place an almost impossible burden on police officers as well, IMO.

My Christian faith does not allow me to stand in harsh judgement or repugnance of any demographic group but being a child of the 60's, I hope and strive for social healing. Which does happen, thank God.

Whether Chauvin personally acted out of racist motive we might never know. But his thuggery hurt all of us.

well said. thank you.

tango

• Well that didn't go as planned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 11:08:39 AM »

The deceased happened to be was black. The person responsible happened to be was white. These days nothing more is needed to prove racism.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 05:31:42 PM »
The question for Derek Chauvin would be - if George Floyd was white, would you have treated him the same way?

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »
 I was surprised to learn that prior to the tragic incident, Chauvin and Floyd both worked as security at the same Minneapolis nightclub. Not sure what the nature of their relationship was, but they were almost certainly acquainted.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 06:56:06 AM »

I can think of nothing i'd rather see right now than you posting several paragraphs really explaining what you mean by this, with examples and asides culminating in some sort of summary that really digs into your views about the reality of racism in America. Alas it's pretty rare for anyone to boldly and plainly speak their minds about race in these woke times, perhaps some day.

Most popular narratives about so-called “racism” are not actually racism… most are prejudice, and perhaps bigotry, but not racism, at least not in the USA.  Very few white  Americans believe that anyone is inherently evil or morally inferior because of their race.  Hitler was a racist.  Hamas, ISIS, and dozens of other radical Islamoterrorists are racists.  Many radical Hindus in India are racists.  Many of the serious elements of the KKK and other white supremacy groups are racists.

But people who don’t bow and scrape to every accusation of social injustice or accusation of “difference in outcome=racism” are not racist or “white privileged.”

The popular narrative that seeks to divide and inflame is insidious and it is driven primarily by a leftist media and people that get power and wealth off the backs of the very people they claim to want to champion.

Each race and culture has its own set of preferences, prejudices, biases, and affinities.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nothing wrong with cultural affirmations. 

But the current race narrative in the USA is dishonest, not intellectually supportable, and driven with the intention of selling newspapers, advertisements, and political donations.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 07:23:05 AM by RabbiKnife »
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Oscar_Kipling

• Tiresome Thinkbucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 08:02:35 AM »

Most popular narratives about so-called “racism” are not actually racism… most are prejudice, and perhaps bigotry, but not racism, at least not in the USA.  Very few white  Americans believe that anyone is inherently evil or morally inferior because of their race.  Hitler was a racist.  Hamas, ISIS, and dozens of other radical Islamoterrorists are racists.  Many radical Hindus in India are racists.  Many of the serious elements of the KKK and other white supremacy groups are racists.

But people who don’t bow and scrape to every accusation of social injustice or accusation of “difference in outcome=racism” are not racist or “white privileged.”

The popular narrative that seeks to divide and inflame is insidious and it is driven primarily by a leftist media and people that get power and wealth off the backs of the very people they claim to want to champion.

Each race and culture has its own set of preferences, prejudices, biases, and affinities.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nothing wrong with cultural affirmations. 

But the current race narrative in the USA is dishonest, not intellectually supportable, and driven with the intention of selling newspapers, advertisements, and political donations.

I have to admit, you surprised me by responding, thanks for your reply.

Couple of follow up questions. What is "white privilege" as you understand it? Also do you actually believe that each race has its own set of preferences, prejudices, biases, and affinities, if so what is race as you understand it?

and I guess I can't help myself but ask, please take me at my word that i'm not trying to needle you for the sake of needling I legit want to know... If, let's say the culture warriors, leftists, woke mob were to instead of racism accuse people of being prejudiced or bigots or something more semantically accurate, but they maintained the same derisive sentiment behind whatever label they chose, would you feel any differently about the tendency they have to call out these behaviors? And for the sake of being clear and honest with you, when I see folks pointing out what I consider to be a semantic distinction that changes nothing about the sentiment of the behaviors that are being repudiated, I am immediately suspicious of the actual motivating factors behind it.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 12:25:48 PM »
Having a little bit of experience in the field, I was very surprised that the murder charge stuck.

In order for it to have been murder, one of two things were required to be proved:

Either

1) There was intent to kill Floyd

or

2) Chauvin acted with "depraved indifference". That he knew his actions had a very good chance of causing Floyd's death.

And I don't see that either was met.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 02:32:25 PM »
Having a little bit of experience in the field, I was very surprised that the murder charge stuck.

In order for it to have been murder, one of two things were required to be proved:

Either

1) There was intent to kill Floyd

or

2) Chauvin acted with "depraved indifference". That he knew his actions had a very good chance of causing Floyd's death.

And I don't see that either was met.

Chauvin needed to be held accountable for causing Floyd's death, but I agree the charges and sentencing were over the top. At the end of the day, the LA riots following the Rodney King verdict remain a lesson learned.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris