Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?  (Read 4013 times)

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?
« on: August 12, 2023, 07:28:02 PM »
Perhaps the Inevitable social ostracization & purging of certain unwanted types. It's already here and has very little to do with Christ or the Gospel - except for His name. Making it increasingly hard to understand salvation.
For openers?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:33:25 PM by IMINXTC »

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Falsehoods Of Christian Nationalism?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 11:52:50 PM »
Indeed, the tenets of salvation and  judgment are the domain of the Church  - not political ideals or nationalism.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 09:14:47 AM »
Perhaps if the church had worked on being the church instead of seeking political power and change of hearts through power it wouldn’t be an issue today
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 05:08:21 PM »
Indeed, the tenets of salvation and  judgment are the domain of the Church  - not political ideals or nationalism.

As history has shown us so many times, it's a toxic cocktail.

Redeemed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 06:06:56 PM »
Could you guys elaborate? Who are these people and what exactly are they doing?

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 06:20:37 PM »
Having read the OT how can one conclude God does not want His people in government?

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 07:15:56 PM »
Same way I know He doesn’t want a theocracy

There is no problem with Christians in secular government but God has no thoughts of a theocracy now
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

teddyv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 10:36:04 PM »
There are schwak of them in US government already. Marjorie Taylor Greene openly states as such. I'm pretty sure Mike Flynn falls in that category, but he seems to be going completely off the rails.

Christian nationalism became an instant bedfellow of the New Apostolic Reformation adherents. Coupled with the "Seven Mountain Mandate" suggesting the Christianity should be the dominating influence in the various areas/spheres of human activity.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 03:40:29 AM »

1. The rule of the Roman Catholic Church for centuries, not very Christian.

2. Let us pray in this hour that nothing can divide us, and that God will help us against the Devil! Almighty Lord, bless our fight!'
-- Adolph Hitler to the SA in 1930.

3. Watched the 2020 election with open mouth. Paula White, the spiritual advisor of Trump in the White House.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 04:23:53 AM »
Having read the OT how can one conclude God does not want His people in government?

1 Samuel 8:6 - 7

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord.
7 And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king."

It's fine for Christians to be in government. It's not fine for Christians to repeat this rejection, and this sin often lies at the foundation of theocratic movements, legislating by "Christian morality", etc. For example, by appealing to the OT and pushing aside Jesus for nationalistic sentiments predicated on an ancient society millennia removed from the present day.

Also, we aren't living in the OT.
Also, we aren't ancient Israelites.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Redeemed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 06:27:33 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

The problem I have is that the term Christian Nationalism has been used for a catch all for so many things and people that others may not like that it's lost any sort of coherent definition.
In other words it's become a sort of catch all phrase.

Personally I think that Christians should be involved in all aspects of society and governments while at the same time I absolutely believe in freedom of religion. Just saying. :)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 06:53:36 AM »
It has never had a coherent definition

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 09:08:35 AM »

1 Samuel 8:6 - 7

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord.
7 And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king."

It's fine for Christians to be in government. It's not fine for Christians to repeat this rejection, and this sin often lies at the foundation of theocratic movements, legislating by "Christian morality", etc. For example, by appealing to the OT and pushing aside Jesus for nationalistic sentiments predicated on an ancient society millennia removed from the present day.

Also, we aren't living in the OT.
Also, we aren't ancient Israelites.
A king is not the only form of government.  We are God's people.

Exo 18:13  And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people: and the people stood by Moses from the morning unto the evening. ....

Exo 18:18  Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone. 
Exo 18:19  Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: 
Exo 18:20  And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do. 
Exo 18:21  Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens: 
Exo 18:22  And let them judge the people at all seasons: and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge: so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear the burden with thee. 
Exo 18:23  If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee so, then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people shall also go to their place in peace. 
Exo 18:24  So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law, and did all that he had said. 
Exo 18:25  And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people, rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens. 
Exo 18:26  And they judged the people at all seasons: the hard causes they brought unto Moses, but every small matter they judged themselves. 

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 11:17:13 AM »
We are not "God's people" in the way in which the nation of Israel was under the Old Covenant.

Under the New Covenant, we are not subjects; we are joint-heirs, adopted sons and daughters of the only King.  We are not governed as civil governments are; instead, we are governed by the Holy Spirit in direct communication and interaction with our spirits.  As such, we have a much higher standard that civil government; we are called to be holy.

Fenris

• Jewish Space Laser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 11:40:35 AM »
We are not "God's people" in the way in which the nation of Israel was under the Old Covenant.

... we are called to be holy.

Jews are also called upon to be holy, though.

Lev 19:2 “Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy."

Exodus 19: And unto Me you shall be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation....

Exodus 22 You are to be My holy people.

Lev 11:44 For I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, because I am holy.

Lev 11:45 For I am the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt so that I would be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy

Lev 20 You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.

Deuteronomy 14 for you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD has chosen you to be a people for His prized possession out of all the peoples on the face of the earth.

Deut 7 For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for His prized possession out of all peoples on the face of the earth.

Now, I agree that Christianity approaches the matter differently because it's the more "universal" religion. Christians are not called upon to build a theological state (although a small minority find the idea compelling?) On the other hand, I do feel that as people of faith, we are under the obligation to make this world a place in which God can dwell. That requires not only our individual acts, but also our communal acts. Because we live in a democracy, we are therefore obligated to cast our votes for the candidates that best reflect all of our values, including our religious ones.

Recent Topics

Israel, Hamas, etc by RabbiKnife
Today at 12:56:40 PM

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris